Thoughts on this wick?

How long has it been burning? To me, it looks like it may be too big due to the all the above (flame size, mushroom) but the biggest is that melt pool seems very deep to me. Even if it's been burning for 3-4 hours. 

I'll wait for others to chime in though. 

• Like 1

Just thinking glass might get really hot as the flame gets lower.  Melt pool does seem a bit deep even for 4.5 hours. I hate mushrooms but I've learned to just live with them if they are my only issue.  Did you try the smaller CD in that jar.  I use a 60C or a 62C (not sure on CD) in a straight sided jar that is 3.25" diam.

34 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Just thinking glass might get really hot as the flame gets lower.  Melt pool does seem a bit deep even for 4.5 hours. I hate mushrooms but I've learned to just live with them if they are my only issue.  Did you try the smaller CD in that jar.  I use a 60C or a 62C (not sure on CD) in a straight sided jar that is 3.25" diam.

I am going to burn until it reaches the bottom so I can get a full test. However I definitely have considered going down to a CD18 and test with that size wick. 

• Like 1

I lit a candle yesterday that I purchased from my wax supplier and the flame was twice your size..scary!  It tamed down a little by 2 hours and then I was tired so never power burned it.  I'm hopeful that it gets normal when the whole flame hits glass level.

• 2 weeks later...