Egyptian Dragon

TallTayl

Does anyone use Egyptian Dragon? It is a variation of dragons blood with notes of jasmine, musk and similar elements that really makes it complex and a stand out scent.

i fell in love with it way back when Southern Soapers was in business. Have tried all available on the market now and none compare. Several have changed formulations very recently and are pale copies of the original. Most discolor deeply or oddly. The original was strong, held true and barely discolored.

Am soooo relieved that I saved an ounce of my beloved bottle to send out for duping. Once the dupe is returned, if anyone is interested in a sniffie let me know. Happy to share these special dupes with the CS crowd. 

• Like 2

Dragons blood is a heady, resinous scent, like incense. With notes of muskiness, vanilla, Amber, etc. if you like really different earthy, fantasy type scents these will suit you well :) there is no "one" dragons blood interpretation. Some smell sweet, like root beer. Some spicy with lots of cinnamon. Some are powdery. The basic undertones are the same, though. 

remind me and I'll put sniffies in your Tonic package.

• Like 1

Dragon's Blood is amazing. One of my all time favorites!  Kelly Bloom from Southern Soapers now runs Soapalooza.com. I got an email not long ago saying she was getting ready to shut down selling FO, but I just went to the website and Egyptian Dragon was there. Worth a shot if you want to try and get some from her.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Dragons blood is a heady, resinous scent, like incense. With notes of muskiness, vanilla, Amber, etc. if you like really different earthy, fantasy type scents these will suit you well :) there is no "one" dragons blood interpretation. Some smell sweet, like root beer. Some spicy with lots of cinnamon. Some are powdery. The basic undertones are the same, though. 

remind me and I'll put sniffies in your Tonic package.

Im super excited to try some blends with the your tonic FO  - id really like to try to maybe come up with a mermaid blend.any suggestions

on FO that will compliment the tonic . Id like to order some sample bottles to play around with . Cant wait till you get it in :) 

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

Im super excited to try some blends with the your tonic FO  - id really like to try to maybe come up with a mermaid blend.any suggestions

on FO that will compliment the tonic . Id like to order some sample bottles to play around with . Cant wait till you get it in :) 

Standing in the lab now. So far the following smell really good with it (picking op bottles from the top of the bench)

Any citrus (blood orange, lemon, lime... all smelled good)

Green tea

any fresh or sea water scent (clean green, ocean rain, salty sailor, fern)

sandalwood

Tonic is a good one to add a bright, clean note.

• Like 1

I've soaped with Soapalooza's Egyptian Dragon before. However I used a 50/50% blend of both Egyptian Dragon with CS Egyptian Amber. After several weeks cure the ED faded and I could only smell the EA. But the soap smelled good and the EA stuck like glue. However, the soap discolored so I never made another batch. So I can't say for sure which or if both discolored the soap. But if I ever make another batch I would only use the CS Egyptian Amber. It smells really good in CP and sticks even after months.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Standing in the lab now. So far the following smell really good with it (picking op bottles from the top of the bench)

Any citrus (blood orange, lemon, lime... all smelled good)

Green tea

any fresh or sea water scent (clean green, ocean rain, salty sailor, fern)

sandalwood

Tonic is a good one to add a bright, clean note.

Awesome thanks so much - your the best :)  

SL's ED does discolor, morph and fade. Which surprised me actually, since southern Soapers was originally hers. I figured she still had the code. Then she reformulated again a Cole of months later. The oil color is light and the flash point changed.

I soaped every kind I have side by side and only the southern Soapers version was unchanged. Another ED lover declared the same when she opened my samples.

27 minutes ago, maryta said:

I'd love to have a sniffie, thank you ! I've had tarts (long ago) in ED and I like the scent a lot.

i'll put you one the list!

8 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Wow, another one to try out.  I have many Dragon's Blood (AH/RE) followers now.

DB fans are extremely loyal. 

True story. Dragons blood nearly ruined my faire season a couple of years ago. My first couple seasons I sold an awful lot of product with TSW DB. When TSW went OOB, I tested everything on the retail market and filled the spot with what the majority of trusted friends and fellow Makers swore by. Didn't sell a single thing with That DB. People noticed the difference and would not buy. I have never recovered many of those customers. At a Ren Faire not being able to sell DB is a crime. 

After duping (which is a bit different from the original in a good way) sales are back to normal or slightly above in that scent. I don't want a repeat performance with ED *shudder*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

Have you approached FB to dupe your DB? They did an excellent job on both MW's Gypsy Rose and OM's Goddess. I am very impressed with their ability to dupe an oil.

No I have not. If having a dupe made I use my go-to lab. They usually take a long while, but their result has been totally worth every minute. 

I did approach Fragrance Laboratory a while back since they supposedly own the code of the one I need and was told it would be too expensive (would not tell me how much). Looking back it is probably a blessing since they likely have the middle version I do not like, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

I guess the lesson here is to NEVER use up your last 2 ounces of a fragrance that sells.  Oh how I wish I had a few of Bert's.

I need to embroider that on a pillow.

berts is one I never tried. Not sue when they went OOB, but between them and Tony's people were pretty happy.

Just now, TallTayl said:

I need to embroider that on a pillow.

berts is one I never tried. Not sue when they went OOB, but between them and Tony's people were pretty happy.

I would have loved to dupe her Dark Chocolate Mint, Christmas Tree, Christmas Pear.  Those 3 have really put a damper on my sales of those scents.  I still have some of her Lemon Biscotti and will consider duping before I use it all.

• Like 1

kandlekrazy Fillmore has an awesome Iced Lemon Biscotti. I swear I want to drink the stuff when I sniff it OOB. In candles it really shines. Strong and true. Customers always go gaga when the smell the candle.

Never tried it in soap thou. Something about a bakery type scent just does not appeal to me in soap.