Leather candles

Hey everyone,

Have a question! I have bought leather scent from Rustic and Candle Science. These are two totally different scents. I have attempted to make them work in a candle using 4627 with zinc wicks. My zincs work well on every scent that I have tried until now. Both distributers leather scents have failed wicking up and down. They start off great and by the 2nd or 3rd burn the wick all but dies out. I have changed percentages from 8 to 6 percent but same results. I only use 2 drops of brown dye per 8oz mason jar. Anyone else have this issue or know of something else to do? I was thinking of adding a different brand of wick like an lx.

I would try a different wick.  I've had one of my favorite fragrances that I adore...just simply will NOT burn in a candle for me.  It makes a great Tart....but I can't get that

FO to burn at all in a candle.    The one I am talking about is cracklin birch from Natures Garden.  It makes a great soap though LOL.

I would try a hotter burning wick....zincs tend to burn cooler....so that's where I would start :)

Debratant,

Thanks and hope everything is well? Yes I was thinking the same thing. They are really potent as melts but just will not cooperate in a candle. Not sure if I even want to waste my time with it at this point lol. There are millions of scents to try. I did manage however to get candle sciences leather to work in a candle but RE leather, no way. I am experimenting with 6006 wax at the moment but using a couple others and zincs seem to work well in almost everything 8oz and under at least. I am still testing larger containers but using mostly parasoy blends. Looking for bakery scents that do well in parasoy at the moment. I am trying to prepare for the holiday season.

Guest OldGlory

Apple Jack (Aztec) is a great fall scent although not exactly bakery, and Royal Sugar Cookie (AFI), both are really good in 6006.

I use 6006 for my wholesale client, and they don't buy RSC. I grabbed the wrong bottle of FO and made the candles - kept thinking 'that doesn't smell like my vanilla bean' but there is a lot of vanilla in RSC. I finally figured out I had used RSC. A few weeks after I poured them I decided to light one to see how it did in 6006. Yowza. I give it a 10 out of 10 for throw in 6006 with a zinc wick. It will discolor to a light yellow. It is a bestseller in melts (I use a custom blend that is 95% paraffin).

Edited by OldGlory
left out a word

I use Aztec a lot so I will have to try the cookie. I just ordered sugar cookie from Aztec but I will definitely order rsc. With my melts I use a parrafin and pillar blend. I am experimenting with parasoy and pillar at the moment trying different ratios. Thanks Glory

Candybee,

Thanks for the post! Yes I do have cd and cdn wicks. I think that I have almost every wick imaginable except size hahaha. Think I will probably need cd 6 and 8's. I have 10,12, and so on. I may order some more cd wicks.

• 2 weeks later...

Replying to Old Glory and her melts.  You use 95% paraffin and a soy.  May I ask what wax you use for paraffin? My melts are to soft with 6006 and 4625 but am afraid to go 4625 only,

Thanks

Karen

OldGlory - Who is RSC ? So you used sugar cookie from that supplier ? Before when i looked at AFI - they seem to primarily cater to those that buy greater 

than 10# at a time ? I was bummed because i really wanted to the lemon sugar cookie + the Royale sugar cookie as well as a few of their other lemons.

I made wax melts with a para -soy blend using FB sugar cookie royale - they smelled fantastic cold but i barely got a HT in my Scentsy burner - weird 

Monster,

I think Glory was talking about Sugar Cookie Royale from the Flaming Candle Company. I ordered it and put it in 6006 and also Clarus 3022. I am testing in both right now. Started off with an amazing hot throw the first 2 burns with Clarus but now it's almost non existent. Thinking I didn't let it cure long enough lol. In the 6006 wax there is almost no cold smell but not that strong either. May just have to let cure longer than 5 days. The scent smells awesome though.

• Like 1

I haven't had issues with 6006 in wax melts. I mean, you can't really ship them, but my customers love the 6006 in wax melts because of the throw, and doesn't take forever to start making a good melt pool. 

Regarding CD wicks.... let me know how those turn out. For me, CD wicks have been ALL over the place for me in terms of performance. Not to mention, I absolutely CANNOT stand how they fall over and wont stay centered during burning. That is why I always end up going back to zincs and premier, although I cant stand the mushrooming either. I always worry about customers who power burn (which is unfortunately most of them). I mean, with zincs and premiers, while they are the best burning wicks in my opinion (*plus they dont discolor wax as much as other wicks have for me), the mushrooms start getting huge. Wicking is going to be the death of me. I really like the flame on the cotton cores, but I cant get a good enough melt pool or scent throw with them.

Anyone have a clue as to what wicks yankee uses in their 22oz jars? Those suckers can burn for a day without getting a mushroom, and perfect melt pool. Its quite impressive but its really frustrating as well.

On June 19, 2016 at 6:16 PM, Candle guy said:

Monster,

I think Glory was talking about Sugar Cookie Royale from the Flaming Candle Company. I ordered it and put it in 6006 and also Clarus 3022. I am testing in both right now. Started off with an amazing hot throw the first 2 burns with Clarus but now it's almost non existent. Thinking I didn't let it cure long enough lol. In the 6006 wax there is almost no cold smell but not that strong either. May just have to let cure longer than 5 days. The scent smells awesome though.

LMAO !!! I can be a monster at times :) Ill be curious to know how your test candle turns out . Thanks for the laugh - I needed that !

Edited by Moonstar
typo

On 6/21/2016 at 0:06 AM, wthomas57 said:

I haven't had issues with 6006 in wax melts. I mean, you can't really ship them, but my customers love the 6006 in wax melts because of the throw, and doesn't take forever to start making a good melt pool. 

Regarding CD wicks.... let me know how those turn out. For me, CD wicks have been ALL over the place for me in terms of performance. Not to mention, I absolutely CANNOT stand how they fall over and wont stay centered during burning. That is why I always end up going back to zincs and premier, although I cant stand the mushrooming either. I always worry about customers who power burn (which is unfortunately most of them). I mean, with zincs and premiers, while they are the best burning wicks in my opinion (*plus they dont discolor wax as much as other wicks have for me), the mushrooms start getting huge. Wicking is going to be the death of me. I really like the flame on the cotton cores, but I cant get a good enough melt pool or scent throw with them.

Anyone have a clue as to what wicks yankee uses in their 22oz jars? Those suckers can burn for a day without getting a mushroom, and perfect melt pool. Its quite impressive but its really frustrating as well.

CD wicks are designed to curl as they burn. Its a feature built into the wicks for maximum burn efficiency. Some chandlers twist the wick to reduce the curl and swear it works. I am not crazy about CDs either and only use them as a backup wick for my hard to wick candles. However, CDs have the plus side of burning hot with very little mushrooming. But the best feature is that they also produce a great scent throw due to their assembly. So when it comes to wicks, you always have your pros and cons to consider and no wick is perfect.

2 minutes ago, Candybee said:

CD wicks are designed to curl as they burn. Its a feature built into the wicks for maximum burn efficiency. Some chandlers twist the wick to reduce the curl and swear it works. I am not crazy about CDs either and only use them as a backup wick for my hard to wick candles. However, CDs have the plus side of burning hot with very little mushrooming. But the best feature is that they also produce a great scent throw due to their assembly. So when it comes to wicks, you always have your pros and cons to consider and no wick is perfect.

I agree with this completely about trying CD wicks when having issues with others. I still do get some mushrooming sometimes with CDs, but usually not as bad as zincs. Depends. The issue I have the most with the CDs besides not staying centered is the tend to discolor my wax frequently. Its ugly. I do like how the CDs burn though, flame looks good. I tried twisting the wick... but didn't seem to help me. I mean, once its starts melting down, the wick isn't going to stay twisted or centered IMO. I imagine using CD wicks in harder wax probably does work great... but with softer type waxes I just prefer some rigidity. Have you ever use paper core wicks? I tried one for the first time this week. Best melt pool, rigid so it stayed centered. The only issue was it smoked more than others but I think I used too big of a size. Curious on others thoughts on paper cores.

you talking about the CD or the zincs? 

Zincs - no slumping, but I have to use big size to get complete melt pool and so wick doesn't get too small and overtaken by mushroom after long burns.

CD - slumping? not so much, but leaning yes which i hate. Curling, yes by design but while i like how this makes the flame look, im ont a fan of wicks curling back into the wax.

is this what you were asking?

CD. I ask because the only time I noticed slumping or movement from center is when the candle was wicked too hot and the MP ended up too deep.

Square braids slumped too, which made them lean and sink. When cooled it looked as if the wicks were too short, but they were really too long under the molten pool, if that makes sense. 

Normally CD/CDN does the job for me. For or hard to wick fragrances in my own blend/containers, I started testing ECO's after ditching them long ago. 

yah, ECOs are among my least favorite wicks. They danced all over and soot like crazy in my experience.

Id LIKE to use the CDs, if for no other reason than the cut down on mushrooms and nix the metal core wicks.

But, they have had a tendancy to discolor my wax a bit which is noticeable after they cool. Which..is not cool, lol.

zincs dont do this for me.. I'm sure its due to hotter burns.

Ill press on with CDs and see how they work.

Any ideas what yankee uses for most their wicks in their jars. I cant understand how they can burn forever with little to no mushroom.

Also once thing Ive always been confused about with yankee jars, is the wax is really hard, bubbly and mottle looking. Dont most prefer softer wax for containers. Yet, yankee uses hard wax yet it melts perfect, lol.

One of the best candles I ever purchased was a hard paraffin wax apothecary jar with a tiny zinc wick. It produced no melt pool, only melting right around the wick just hot enough to make the wax weep into the melt pool as needed. As it burned down the wax caught up without leaving any hang up.That thing burned for at least 100 hours at unmeasured intervals ranging from minutes to power burns and never produced a speck of soot with scent lasting forever. I never even trimmed the wick. 

I came across it while emptying moving boxes that had been sealed shut for two moves (15 years at least). That darned candle still smelled great and burned like a champ. I threw it away in a cleaning binge last year and can't remember the maker, but it was an off-brand from some bog box store. 

From then on THAT was my gold standard for a candle. 

• Like 1

that sounds pretty awesome.. but i am guessing that the wax at least is some custom blend. And the wick... like yankee... is what baffles me. Is it some sort of "custom" wick like a custom wax. I didnt know those excisted. Unlike waxes with special ingredients, etc.. I thought pretty much every candle make used  a type of wick everyone had access to. What in the hell is Yankee using for their wicks that allow them to burn for a day with on mushroom, and sever burns without trimming and STILL no mushroom, lol.

They have a whole lot of R&D experience and money, so custom is a good guess. 

Our retailers only offer what we buy. Somewhere along the line that type of wax or wick might have been available, but was discontinued as it did not burn like the small crafters expected. When soy hit the market s all changed.