I just shipped my second large order and I made the BIG mistake of having my assistant take the packages to the post office, without discussing the prices with her before she sent the packages on their way.  I tried to calculate the USPS priority rates beforehand, but I was way off. Way, way, off. Let's just say that I spent $185 shipping 50 candles, and I am wondering how to prevent this next time.  I previously shipped 25 candles via fedex two day and used the recipients fedex account and it came to $140, which is also a bummer.

Any suggestions for packaging/shipping? Thanks in advance fellow chandlers!

• Like 1

It is very easy to overspend on shipping if you are not familiar with your options.  I could write a book on shipping, but I know you don't want that much information.  So, to simplify.....was this a few large/heavy packages or lots of small packages? 
Generally, shipping heavy or oversize items is more cost effective using UPS or FedEx. USPS is often your best option for smaller packages/weight.  Every shipping co. has varying service options, transit times, etc., and if you rely on the person at the counter to determine your service level, you often end up paying for a more costly service than what you actually need.  Give me an idea of what types of packages you are shipping and I'll try to help you out.

• Like 3

Bigger package need to go UPS or FedEx. A really good thing is have account with both. Weigh then print your shipping labels online if you pay that way you save money over going to the counter. Also for really large shipping look in to truck shipping R&L is a good one to go through. Even check with them for anything around 100 lb mark you might be surprised at the shipping cost. Also UPS has a truck rate for large freight which is different that regular shipping.

• Like 3

Shipping is very expensive - especially heavy large boxes . As I'm sure you already know larger boxes get hit with a surcharge - both by USPS + Fedex etc

as others mentioned you should maybe have accounts with UPS + Fedex since you'll receive a small online discount but you need to be 100% certain 

on the dimensions + weight your plugging in - last thing you want to happen is the customer to be charged for the difference - imo . Call fedex or go to

a location on a not so busy day when they can spend some time with you familiarizing you with cost + your best options. In my personal experience I 

found that when I'm sending to opposite coasts with more weight etc - fedex is a better way to go. I choose ground - which from mi -ca thats 4 business 

days also be aware fedex + ups DONOT deliver to PO boxes - also - if you ever ship to Hawaii etc thats VERY expensive . what is the average weight +

box size you send - are you East or West coast - 

• Like 1

First of all, thank you everyone! I will try to answer all your questions and provide a little more information.

The shipment last week was 50 candles in glass containers with a combined shipping weight of about 60 pounds. For some reason, I decided to split everything into three ups priority large boxes. (NOT flat rate boxes, unfortunately).

In the future, I will probably be shipping 25-60 pounds of fragile candles to both the east and west coasts (I am in Florida) and since I often do things last minute, I prefer shorter shipping times but if that is too expensive, I can adjust.

Oh-speaking of FRAGILE-some sad candle news.

So, when I posted Monday-I was waiting for my candles to arrive at their destination.  When I got a text from the recipient saying that the boxes had arrived damaged and she was scared to open them up and see the destruction inside..I was super upset with USPS. I've attached photos-very sad, indeed.  Fortunately only 3 of the 50 were broken, it could have been utter candle devastation! I now have to figure out how to get my piddly insurance money from USPS.IMG_8510.JPGIMG_8509.JPGIMG_8511.JPG

ok now shipping is something i do know quite a bit about lol ! from i can see in the pics the USPS boxes look too small - to me anyhow. personally, when 

i ship anything fragile, being glass - china etc I ALWAYS wrap in bubble wrap first . you actually don't want things so tightly next to each other, or they can shatter 

if/when they get any impact from when they throw boxes. USPS now also offers a "Special Handling " service - but you pay $10 per box . That box is handled 

with care, meaning its never thrown. Something to consider. Unless your doing a small shipment i would forgo the flat rate boxes and do a box within a box method

still using bubble wrap . Then take your individual boxes + put those in a larger box with peanuts. This is a very safe method - sure maybe it costs a bit more up front 

but the way I look at it is - much cheaper + less aggravating than having to reimburse + wait for your insurance money+ you look much more professional :)

Fed ex insures the first $100 you can also use UPICK for 3rd party insurance coverage. Also - its very important to pack properly because weather its USPS

or fed ex they want to see photos - just like any insurance claim made - ultimaltey its the senders responsibility to properly pack the items - if they don't see

them wrapped correctly - they can say "we're not covering the claim " :( Sorry for long shpeel :( hope it helps !

• Like 2

It really helps-thank you! Any suggestions on best places you suggest to purchase packing materials?

19 hours ago, Moonstar said:

ok now shipping is something i do know quite a bit about lol ! from i can see in the pics the USPS boxes look too small - to me anyhow. personally, when 

i ship anything fragile, being glass - china etc I ALWAYS wrap in bubble wrap first . you actually don't want things so tightly next to each other, or they can shatter 

if/when they get any impact from when they throw boxes. USPS now also offers a "Special Handling " service - but you pay $10 per box . That box is handled 

with care, meaning its never thrown. Something to consider. Unless your doing a small shipment i would forgo the flat rate boxes and do a box within a box method

still using bubble wrap . Then take your individual boxes + put those in a larger box with peanuts. This is a very safe method - sure maybe it costs a bit more up front 

but the way I look at it is - much cheaper + less aggravating than having to reimburse + wait for your insurance money+ you look much more professional :)

Fed ex insures the first $100 you can also use UPICK for 3rd party insurance coverage. Also - its very important to pack properly because weather its USPS

or fed ex they want to see photos - just like any insurance claim made - ultimaltey its the senders responsibility to properly pack the items - if they don't see

them wrapped correctly - they can say "we're not covering the claim " :( Sorry for long shpeel :( hope it helps !

Great suggestions from moonstar.

I just wanted to say even if none of the candles broke I would have been pissed with the box showing up like that. I realize that things happen and boxes can fall etc... But really? Even if they were packed really really well I would have expected more to have been damaged. 

Hope things work out

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

can anyone recommend certain packaing materials that keep excess heat away from candles/melts better than others durnig shipment. I currently already have some measures in place to help mitigate the risk... for example, I only ship M-W and always ship 1 or 2 day priority. That helps. But trucks still get super hot and was wondering if certain packing materials help with this better than others. I.E., packing peanuts bubble wrap, other materials to combat the internal heat in the boxes?

Thanks

Guest OldGlory

Newspaper is a good insulator, but in 90+ degree temps and direct sunlight your candles don't stand a chance.

I think Uline carries freezer packs.