Weekend Adventures?

Jcandleattic

What's everyone doing this weekend? I put this in the Craft discussion topic because I'm doing a bit of everything. Candles, B&B, Soap, and maybe even some coloring and crocheting. :)

I have re-fallen in love with making bath bombs. I hadn't made them in YEARS, but still had all the stuff, so decided to try my hand at it. I think my supplies (the CA and BS) were too old because although they looked great, they sunk to the bottom of the sink I was testing in, and didn't fizz at all and it took almost an hour for them to dissolve. LOL So, I ordered new everything, including some great colors (because I have a BILLION mica's but those don't work as well in bath bombs because unless you use poly 80 - which I don't have and don't really want to use - they will stick/stain the tub). So I'll be making/testing those out this weekend.

I have to make some candles for my hairdresser, and her salon owner has asked for a couple samples, so I need to make those up to take to them. 

I want to do a CP with an M&P drop swirl, with my homemade M&P. That's been on my list for a while, so I'll be doing that probably.. 

I have several of the cotton wash rags that I crochet and want to make more for my shows. 

And last but not least - well, maybe least LOL - when I am catching up on the weeks shows that I have in my DVR, I get bored just sitting there watching, so I have several of the "adult coloring books" that apparently is now a trend, but I've had them and done them for years, so I just get out my thinliner markers, and color while watching TV. I've actually done that for years too, but now it's popular so I feel so trendy!! LOL My kids always thought I was nuts, and now they think I'm just one of the crowd. LOL 

So, If you are still reading - what are you guys doing this weekend? Anything fun and exciting? 

• Like 2

Well, not sure I'd call mine an adventure.  My goal is to get some soap savers made up to give away for Mother's Day if they buy more than 1 bar of course!

Scan some pictures from 1986-1999 and then try really hard to throw away those hard copies.  Make some candles as I'm really low on those, but my melts

are stocked with excess inventory so I haven't been slacking.  I might get more done like organizing but probably not!

• Like 1

Vicky that sounds like fun!

I have my regular Saturday market tomorrow so I will be busy. But its gonna be freezing in the 30's in the AM and the high will only be in the 40's. But I've done colder markets before. Couple weeks ago it snowed while I was at market.

Sunday is my day off but I may be working on my solid lotion bars. My recipe needs tweaking so they glide better. I should also make some more shaving soaps and baby soap.

I have to mow the lawn sometime I have been putting it off. My neighbor has mowed 3 times already and I haven't once. So I guess I better do it in the next couple days so he won't freak. He's a nice guy just super neat and has a perfect lawn.

Sorry I don't have any fun plans but making soap and working on my lotions will be fun for me. I enjoy doing that stuff.

• Like 1

Ive been exhausted these past two weeks so Im not doing anything too exciting. Jcandleattic Bath bombs are fun to make, although I can never get mine 

to float for any length of time + i don't get the crazy fizzing like the lush bombs :( my grandkids just love them though. Im still trying to calm down from

this afternoon. I was literally verbally attacked by a road -rager lol ! It was scary and she was off the handle lol  ! i mean f bombs flying everywhere amongst

some other choice words lol ! it was really intense, I've actually never seen anything like that. all over a red light that she wanted me to go through ..... oh well !

oh + cleaning too .... its crazy cold here in MI still :(

Nothing exciting.  Taking inventory of my soaps to see what needs priority to be made...what fragrances I need to re-order, and test burning tea lights while I work.  I'm still grumbly over Candle Science dropping their absolutely perfect TL wicks.  I ordered some from Candle Wic last year, in one size up from what I have used FOR YEARS and they are burning sickly and weak.  You would never know it was supposed to be the same wick series.  Night and day difference.  So...more bloody testing. 

I ended up making 3 loaves of soap yesterday, posted 2 in the mold pics - will cut them later today - the 3rd one I did was just a restock of my Love Spell - I sell out of that one quick all the time. 

I made up about 40 candles for orders, and some samples for the salon owner to take when I see my hairdresser later in the month. 

Made some 'toilet bombs' to help keep our toilets clean and smelling fresh between my weekly scrub downs. 

Made some crochet wash cloths to sell at my shows. They are curling at the edges so I have to figure out a way to iron them. 

Today I will be doing laundry, cleaning the house, catching up on DVR'd shows, and somewhere in there I will be making some fresh bath bombs to test out. I finally found my good recipe and will use that one. :) I need to try and figure out how to make them float and spin, but yet still be moisturizing to the skin. So it's going to be a couple months (most likely) of complete trial and error of testing. I'm sure my granddaughter will love to be my test subject. :D 

On 4/9/2016 at 4:32 PM, Candybee said:

Have you ever tried CD-3 tea light wicks? C&S has them.

No, I have never tried a CD that small.  I would have to check and see if I even have one that small to try....

On 4/10/2016 at 10:12 AM, ChrisR said:

Chefmom I don't know what wax you use, but I've used LX-8 for my tea lights for years.  Retesting is the pits, good luck!!  :) 

I have used LX-8 and it was in the top, but not the best for me.  I use straight up 6006 and used a TL-15, 18 or 21 depending on the color.  Beautiful burn, steady and 5+ hours.  I had two left over TL-13 from a test sample and when I tested Candle wic's TL-21's they burned weaker than even the TL-13 instead of the bold TL-21 from Candlescience.  I would have never thought there could be so much difference in the same wick series from two different suppliers.  TL-18 is the one I used the most, and CW only has that option in the custom wicks.  I hesitate putting down the money for 500 customs if their standard TL-21 burns so poorly....I bought 300 of the TL-21's when they had a standard wick pack sale.  I'm kicking myself now.  Currently Eco-.5 and HTP-42 and 52 are giving the best burns, LX-8 is right behind them, but I can't get that 5 hours mark like the TL's gave me consistently.  I wish there was a ECO-.25 to test!!

...grumble...

Tami email Candlewic and ask them to send you some samples.  I've done this in the past and it may take them awhile to send them, but I've never had a problem getting them.  Also, have you tried adding just a touch of pillar wax to harden it a bit?  That may give you a longer burn time with the wicks your testing.

17 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Tami email Candlewic and ask them to send you some samples.  I've done this in the past and it may take them awhile to send them, but I've never had a problem getting them.  Also, have you tried adding just a touch of pillar wax to harden it a bit?  That may give you a longer burn time with the wicks your testing.

Yes, I'll probably have to contact Candlewic...I dug out my photos and started marking them.  I really don't think they can do anything, I bought these wicks last year, but never pulled them out until I ran out of plain white tealights and needed to make more.  I am SO glad that I fired one up and saw the burn before selling any!!  I'll start a new thread to post the photos, I've already derailed this thread...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since I am a crafter and DIYer from heart, my most weekends are devoted to mason jars. Not being biased but seriously you can do anything with this classy jar. My last few weekend projects included major jar snow globes, and wine glasses. For my bestie's wedding last month, I had made a majon jar string light with lot of efforts (Phew!) after taking help from here and she was completely overwhelmed. As my DH had been complaining about replacing the plastic soap dispenser in our bathroom, I thought of giving a surprise using my crafty brains (and hands of course :D). All the credits goes to this tutorial I stumbled upon few days back, and ended up with another iconic craft. This weekend it would be the majon jars again. :rolleyes:

Edited by myra01
  • Like 1

I just got some new oils and butters delivered, so I'm going to play this weekend with CP. I've done six batches so far and am absolutely loving it. I also got in a 12-bar mold, so I'm going to experiment with doing single-oil and single-butter bars so I can learn what each oil/butter does, how they feel/look by themselves, etc.

Also got some new FOs to try out in wax. It's been over a year since I started candles and I'm STILL testing, lol, trying to figure out which combo for candles and melts I like the best. I can't seem to get my melts to last more than 8-9 hours before they fade, so still working on that. I finally bit the bullet and got some zinc wick sample packs. I've always liked HTPs and really wanted them to work, but no matter what I do I get soot and just can't stand it. However, I also can't stand the mushrooms from the zincs...so I feel like I'm going to have to decide which is the lesser of the two evils, lol.

And we're just going to try and stay cool here. Looks like we're headed for a weekend of temps around 113, so AC will definitely be on. :D

• Like 1