How did you chose your wax?

Hi everyone, I'm new but have been hanging around for a while, reading posts. However this is my first time posting. I was wondering what made you decide on the wax that you did. I have been candle making for around 6 months now and been using 4627 exclusively for most of that. Then I came across these wonderful 8 and 16 oz apothecary jars that I just love to death but then, of course the wicking nightmares began. After testing so many combos over a few months I decided it was time to play with other wax. I tried a mix 4627 and 4786 and loved it, 4630 and loved it as well and also 6006 and as you can guess; loved it. I am still tweaking the wicking a but it is going much smoother. It's not that im easy going either, I am the pickiest when it comes to fragrance oil. I have tried 100s and only have about 20-30 that I like. But how do I decide what wax is the best for me. Was hoping to hear how everyone else came to their decision. Thanks so much.

Guest OldGlory

I started my candlemaking journey 15 years ago with soy wax because the buzz was all about soy wax. I worked with it for about 6 months and found that it produced a good candle so I started selling it. The only candle my retail customers wanted was SOY.

A few years passed and I found a wholesale client that only wanted soy candles and liked my products enough to buy from me - that was 11 years ago. They still prefer soy, but the frosting (in jars)  finally got to them and they asked for alternatives, so I introduced them to 6006 after a few months of testing. Now, I make them 6006 jars and keep the soy for tins and clamshells. That's their idea of a compromise.

You're the only one who can decide what's best for you. Keep working with your favorites and I think you'll come to favor one wax over the others with more testing.

For me it was confusing at first in picking that first wax- I went with soy because of the same reasons- everyone wanted soy at that time and I went with some kind from candlesoylutions - millennium maybe 

but quickly disliked it 

moved on to 135- eco soya advanced- tried on from AH/RE and then finally tried 464 - worked with it for many years but the buzz about 415 of course had me curious so I had to try it and that is what I continued with- it was a hard choice but I was more drawn to the 415- the qualities all around I favored 

I think you will find yourself being drawn to one over the other as well the more you work with it 

I too chose 4627 after reviewing MANY wax reviews and this one seemed to have some of the best reviews when it came to high fragrance load... I have only been using 6% but can't seem to get the dancing flame to calm down... a couple of different combos have yielded a good HT so not sure if I should go with it or maybe try glorys 6006!

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory
10 hours ago, ThisLittleLightOfMine said:

I too chose 4627 after reviewing MANY wax reviews and this one seemed to have some of the best reviews when it came to high fragrance load... I have only been using 6% but can't seem to get the dancing flame to calm down... a couple of different combos have yielded a good HT so not sure if I should go with it or maybe try glorys 6006!

Sorry, I can't reply to your pm thru the pm - wanted you to know I am not familiar with the jar you mentioned.

It was fairly easy for me to choose & I tested lots of soy wax.  My area at the time was soy crazy.  When I discovered what shipping charges were (many moons ago and now they are more) on 50-100# of wax at a time, I decided I was going with my local supplier and working with the wax they carried, C3, until I figured it out.  I had a set amount of $ I could spend on learning to make candles & melts so I had to be frugal with spending on shipping charges and I could pick up from them at the time or shipping was bearable.

I bought a votive kit from Cajun Candle, which used a paraffin V wax. Later, I worked with the J waxes but always disliked the soot problem. A company called Greenleaf began offering free samples of a new parasoy wax (Clarus  3022) which changed things completely. I can't say 3022 is simply melt and pour but it provides a reliable result no matter what fo I use.  I've sold a lot of candles and had lots of customers who have stuck with the product.

• Like 1

Bought a candle kit from Walmart 10 years ago needed a hobby, loved it... Hated the wax found Natures Garden Candles bought their 415 wax nobody around where I lived was making soy candles. Loved the throw of every scent hated the frosting so I tried their Joy wax didn't like how I had to do a second pour so I tried 6006 loved it and still use it till this day.

I started my journey about 13 yrs ago and got my first wax which was paraffin from Candlewic and loved it until I got a bad batch and they said it was my fault, later saw where someone said they added to much vybar to the wax thus the very ugly top then I bough 4786 & 4625 probably from lone star and that is what I use.  I don't think I really even knew about soy!  Sounds like if you are having good results with your wax why change. 

I began making candles because I was buying a lot, and burning a lot.  I bought different kinds from different places and my curious and observant nature noticed that not all candles burned the same. Some burned nicely, some didn't, and others looked like flame throwers and poured black soot up my wall. 

My tenacious nature told me...I can do better.  I had meant to dabble with candles, I actually bought a slab of paraffin, molds and a few sizes of wicks.  I had a few books on the shelf from the used book sales so I started studying up...went online...and lost myself in learning about wax, wicks and candles.  

From the beginning I never considered 100% soy...the flame thrower, that covered my wall in soot...that candle was a pure soy candle.  I read about all kinds of wax, pros and cons...got myself good and confused...but I settled to test parasoy for containers and paraffin for pillars.  The very first wax I bought was the Joy wax from Natures Garden.  While it was an easy wax to use...it was the smell of the actual wax that turned me off.  It smelled EXACTLY like the fat that I used to fill the doughnut fryer at work.  If you used a cookie scent it blended okay...but you could still smell the wax through the fragrance.  Plus...I was paranoid about falling in love with a wax that was available from one and ONLY one supplier...and I changed my mind about supplier only wax blends and went with waxes that are available from multiple places. 

So...I trialed 6006 next and never looked back.  It was easy to find from multiple suppliers, it was easy to portion out with just a knife, it was almost always a one pour wax...with a hiccup here and there, but for the most part it takes color nicely, it works with several different wicks, its a beautiful white wax and I've had good luck with scents overall.  I've tried the 100% soy off and on, my own blends...but I still come back to 6006, and I also use it in blends for other uses too. 

At the end of the day...you want a wax that produces a candle that you want.  How you vision it to look, to burn, to scent and find a wax that fits that vision and works in the system you use.  There are so many out there, Peaks' supplier sells 2 pound samples which is perfect to see the wax for yourself and get an idea about it before buying large quantities. 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone, I think I am going to go with my 4627 and 4786 mix for now. I just love how beautiful the candles come out and how most fragrances seem to work well. Also by mixing the waxes it seems like most of my wicking nightmares are over. I am a bit concerned about about all the bad press paraffin has gotten and will just take a wait and see approach as I get into selling over the next few months. I know that I will have 6006 waiting for me if I start to see a high demand for soy. I don't think I could ever do straight soy, so a parasoy sounds good to me. I have also been playing with mottling wax, with not very good results. By hey look for me in a few months, I'll probably have more luck over time. I love the look of the mottled candles and will keep playing with them in my spare time. Thanks again, I loved reading how you all got started. :)

Edited by kellys221
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 3/30/2016 at 0:54 PM, Chefmom said:

I began making candles because I was buying a lot, and burning a lot.  I bought different kinds from different places and my curious and observant nature noticed that not all candles burned the same. Some burned nicely, some didn't, and others looked like flame throwers and poured black soot up my wall. 

My tenacious nature told me...I can do better.  I had meant to dabble with candles, I actually bought a slab of paraffin, molds and a few sizes of wicks.  I had a few books on the shelf from the used book sales so I started studying up...went online...and lost myself in learning about wax, wicks and candles.  

From the beginning I never considered 100% soy...the flame thrower, that covered my wall in soot...that candle was a pure soy candle.  I read about all kinds of wax, pros and cons...got myself good and confused...but I settled to test parasoy for containers and paraffin for pillars.  The very first wax I bought was the Joy wax from Natures Garden.  While it was an easy wax to use...it was the smell of the actual wax that turned me off.  It smelled EXACTLY like the fat that I used to fill the doughnut fryer at work.  If you used a cookie scent it blended okay...but you could still smell the wax through the fragrance.  Plus...I was paranoid about falling in love with a wax that was available from one and ONLY one supplier...and I changed my mind about supplier only wax blends and went with waxes that are available from multiple places. 

So...I trialed 6006 next and never looked back.  It was easy to find from multiple suppliers, it was easy to portion out with just a knife, it was almost always a one pour wax...with a hiccup here and there, but for the most part it takes color nicely, it works with several different wicks, its a beautiful white wax and I've had good luck with scents overall.  I've tried the 100% soy off and on, my own blends...but I still come back to 6006, and I also use it in blends for other uses too. 

At the end of the day...you want a wax that produces a candle that you want.  How you vision it to look, to burn, to scent and find a wax that fits that vision and works in the system you use.  There are so many out there, Peaks' supplier sells 2 pound samples which is perfect to see the wax for yourself and get an idea about it before buying large quantities. 

@Chefmom  Do you have soot issues with 6006 sometimes? I do off and on and cant pin down if its the FO, the wick, or the wax primarily contributing to it. You mentioned "many wicks that work well with it". Would you mind mentioning your favorites. I really only get good consistent results with Zincs and they have drawbacks like mushrooms, the wire core (misperception), and some sooting sometimes. But, great hot throw, stays centered all the time, most consistent. Everything else I tried had different issues ranging from mroe soot (CD and LX), burned way too hot (CD, HTP), or uneven burning from leaning (CD, others), and so on. What did you find that worked best mostly?

And regarding the soot, do you find soot is more of a problem with soy or with parrafin?

1 hour ago, wthomas57 said:

@Chefmom  Do you have soot issues with 6006 sometimes? I do off and on and cant pin down if its the FO, the wick, or the wax primarily contributing to it. You mentioned "many wicks that work well with it". Would you mind mentioning your favorites. I really only get good consistent results with Zincs and they have drawbacks like mushrooms, the wire core (misperception), and some sooting sometimes. But, great hot throw, stays centered all the time, most consistent. Everything else I tried had different issues ranging from mroe soot (CD and LX), burned way too hot (CD, HTP), or uneven burning from leaning (CD, others), and so on. What did you find that worked best mostly?

And regarding the soot, do you find soot is more of a problem with soy or with parrafin?

I am wondering the same thing. I bought 2 cases way back when and went thru maybe half a case. It's been a while ago but I know I tried 4 or 5 different wicks but nothing seemed to work for me. The wax itself I kinda liked. Great post! :)