Dyes for candles

I don't have very much experience with dyes as the main wax I use is soy and I don't color it 

playing around with parasoy candles and now the chunk wax melts I am getting more into the coloring - I have been using lone star liquid dye and I am not sure I am loving it 

any suggestions on liquid vs. chips and the best companies that may even have actual understandable instructions on how much to use for light vs. dark colors and mixing to create different colors?

thanks in advance 

I hate chips REALLY HATE them... My favorite are the liquid dyes that I have. I have some from Peak and from Lone Star. I bought them so many years ago I can't remember now how long I've had them. But they are great, and the chemical smell they give off goes away as soon as I mix them in the wax. Over the years they have gotten a bit thick, but I just add a bit of mineral oil (it can be used as a paint thinner and works like a charm) 

They have lasted me forever. and I still have about 1/3 left in my most used bottle. 

As for mixing to get the different colors you want, I use the color wheel mostly and just keep adding drops until I get the color I want. This works out well for me, but I know it's not ideal for most. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Liquid works way better than chips for sure.  I noticed when looking for those single cav clamshells that Maple Street Candles makes their own

dyes specifically for soy.  I don't dye right now but if I decide to try it again I will probably try their dyes.

I love the rediglo dye chips. I used to use Lonestar liquid candle dyes but they morphed the scents on a lot of my candles so I quit using them. You do need to heat your wax to at least 185 to work with the dye chips to make sure they melt. I add the chips first and stir til it melts then add my FO.

• Thanks 1

I started with liquid dyes from Peak and Candlescience. Felt like trying something different, so I tried the dye chips from Maple Street. No matter what temp I added them or how long they melted in the wax, unfortunately they always left streaks and spots of color on the bottom of my candles and melts. Personally I didn't like the way it looked, so I've decided to stay with the liquid dyes from Peak and Candlescience. Never have had a problem with those liquid dyes, and as everyone has pointed out, they last a long time.

• Thanks 1