Presto Pot - Lid off or on?

My question is as simple as the thread title. Do you leave the lid on or off your Presto Pot when heating wax? I use GB 464 if it matters and so far I have done lid on, but didn't really think to ask if others did without.

Edited by C Dizzle

When I used one it was always off when in use. My trusty thermometer stuck out of the pot so using a lid was impossible. When the pot was not in use I kept the lid on to keep dust and stuff out.

I use soy wax as well.

Leave it OFF. If you leave it on, heat can build up and cause it to either blow off, or start a fire. Neither of which would be very good. So far, if you've been leaving the lid on, you've been lucky.

I've never heard of that :-/ are we talking about the presto multi cooker? Not the pressure cooker with a tight sealing lid?
  • Like 1

With beeswax especially, i leave it on. It seems to heat more evenly with it on. Soy i have done both, but usually it is on as it heats and only off as i stir periodically to distribute the heat, and then to pour off the liquified wax. If i pause in the middle, the lid goes on to retain the heat. All are Stored with lid on.

Now, i don't crank that heat up, so the wax in the pot never gets anywhere near the smoke point, let alone the flash point. Gently heating prevents my waxes from burning the organics (like honey in the beeswax). I've not noticed any steam.

Maybe the problems were with people who turned the heat too high? :shrug:

The thermometers i like have the probe on a tether to the digital reader/timer part, so the lid fits fine, providing a little vent even.

• Like 1

I've never heard of that :-/ are we talking about the presto multi cooker? Not the pressure cooker with a tight sealing lid?

I'm talking the presto pot. But I also keep forgetting I work with paraffin and not soy, so that could make the difference. When I first started making candles,in the first week, I left the lid on and it blew it right off into the air about 6-7 feet and shattered. So, I've never put the lid on again. Not worth the freakout. Even then I only heated to only a little bit below 200 on the temp guage it came with. 

I've also only ever used a thermometer during the first week of my candlemaking. I find for me, it's always been more of a hassle and that I don't really need one. 

• Like 1

I am only using GB 464 Soy and so far I've done with the lid on. I have it well below 200, not sure how hot, but its about the M in Warm. It gets to about just around 185 after 20 to 30 min or so (I need to time it) and has been perfect.

There has been a tiny bit of condensation on the lid and that was concerning slightly, but I wasn't sure if leaving the lid on or off was better. I think I shall try off too and see what happens. The lid blowing off sounds scary, but I imagine it's for a higher heat than I'm using?

Interesting there's a lot of views on both sides here, like the toilet paper over or under argument only far more practical!

I am only using GB 464 Soy and so far I've done with the lid on. I have it well below 200, not sure how hot, but its about the M in Warm. It gets to about just around 185 after 20 to 30 min or so (I need to time it) and has been perfect.

There has been a tiny bit of condensation on the lid and that was concerning slightly, but I wasn't sure if leaving the lid on or off was better. I think I shall try off too and see what happens. The lid blowing off sounds scary, but I imagine it's for a higher heat than I'm using?

Interesting there's a lot of views on both sides here, like the toilet paper over or under argument only far more practical!

Well, that and also I'm a paraffin candlemaker, and I think that could be the difference, and also back then (18 years ago) who knows, I could have done something to make it do that. But because that did happen to me, I don't leave the lid on. I don't find that it has hurt my candlemaking at all with the lid off.. I believe ChrisR uses paraffin also (could be very wrong about that also) and she uses lid on with no problems, so it could just be a matter of personal choice and using precautions. 

eek JC! Scary.

Yes, it was. But again, that was 18 ish years ago, and things in candlemaking have changed so much, and I have learned and know sooo much more now,

that I rarely even think of that. 

Kind of what happened with me and soapmaking, but that's for a different thread, and I know I've told that story on here, so... :) 

Guest OldGlory

Been making soy wax candles for 15 years using a presto pot. Lid on usually to contain the heat a little better and I set it on the 'M' in warm also. Never had condensation. No problems leaving the lid on.

Off. I don't want condensation anywhere close to my wax unless I decide to make ice candles. I've had two wax fires, not w/ a presto and I prefer not to see if I can start one. Even though others haven't had the trouble, I'm not changing. I put the lid on when I move it somewhere or wax sits too long in its cold state. 

Guest OldGlory

Off. I don't want condensation anywhere close to my wax unless I decide to make ice candles. I've had two wax fires, not w/ a presto and I prefer not to see if I can start one. Even though others haven't had the trouble, I'm not changing. I put the lid on when I move it somewhere or wax sits too long in its cold state. 

Scented, what source of heat were you using when you had the 2 wax fires? And, was it paraffin or soy or some other wax? Seems like good information to serve as a warning for new-ish candlemakers.

Edited by OldGlory

Scented, what source of heat were you using when you had the 2 wax fires? And, was it paraffin or soy or some other wax? Seems like good information to serve as a warning for new-ish candlemakers. 

I had the fires early in my candlemaking career, but have come close using a pour pot trying to raise the temp of the wax above 212. As for the fires, back then I used the double boiler method and granulated paraffin in melter bags, followed the directions to a T. If Hobby Lobby still carries that crap, don't buy it, but back in the early to mid 90s they had those bags. The problem w/ the melting bags is they would bust and release the wax into the water and then poof, up in flames. I fell in love with pour pots, but found the presto eventually. There was a thread on the old site here that showed a wax explosion caused by water in something similar to the presto. I believe it was paraffin also ... and quite messy. Water has its uses, but not in my wax unless I'm making ice candles, cooling wax bowls or if I had a notion to plunge hot wax into water to make other things. It's just important not to have water in your wax and if you do, filter to salvage what wax you can and get rid of the rest. 

Toilet paper must be over in my house!!! LOL.....it's a pet peeve of mine!  I notice everyone has their preferences....it's something I take note of when using someones facilities....isn't that pathetic of me?

Toilet paper must be over in my house!!! LOL.....it's a pet peeve of mine!  I notice everyone has their preferences....it's something I take note of when using someones facilities....isn't that pathetic of me?

I'm just happy if he puts the roll on the holder. ;)

• Like 1

I'm more worried if it's there when I need it, rather than the direction the roll moves ;)