Caution: 6006

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

Aztec got the attention of the rep for 6006 by forwarding the pictures of the cracked candle to him. If they offer an explanation I will let you all know. I doubt that the rep knows a fraction of what I know about this wax.

Aztec got the attention of the rep for 6006 by forwarding the pictures of the cracked candle to him. If they offer an explanation I will let you all know. I doubt that the rep knows a fraction of what I know about this wax.

I'm sure you are right about that! 

Trappeur....

Guest OldGlory

I heard back from Teri at Aztec today. The company is replacing the 6006. She didn't say if they will be sending back the stock they have on hand. At least when the next order comes in I will have a different batch. Whew! I would have to have it shipped to me otherwise, and that would eat up my profits!

Guest OldGlory

Follow up - The mfg says the certificate of authenticity shows the batch of wax I used in the cracked candle was WITHIN SPEC. I don't believe that for a second.

Further, if they are willing to cover up their mistake and say that wax was acceptable, I am not willing to risk several thousand $$ worth of candles and the liability, so I will be switching waxes. I've already asked Aztec to find me a replacement because I won't be using that wax again.

Such a disappointment. For those of you who will continue to use that wax, please be careful!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OldGlory

I hate to hear it Ray. I don't know what sort of business you have, but I would arrange to send that wax back immediately. I just had a conversation about this yesterday - if I sent an order of candles to my client and some of them cracked, they would send the ENTIRE purchase order back to me at my expense... and expect me to replace the order asap. I can't afford to take a loss like that, so I am finding another wax.

To be clear - the rep from IGI said the wax from that lot number is fine. Their standards are too low if they think that's ok. I won't buy that wax again.

I have tested 4630 with 464 and the throw is incredible, but the wax doesn't look right in the jar. I am currently testing a parasoy from Flaming Candle in Georgia, and it is a dream to work with - except for the wicking, but that just takes time. Gorgeous though!!

I wish you luck. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Well, candle science said they will contact IGI about it and get back to me. Not expecting anything to come of it. I did heat gun the cracked ones and that seemed to take care of the issue for now. We'll see if the crack reappears. Might go back to candlewics CBL-130 for the next batch of wax I order. The CBL 130 is pretty much the same wax as 6006, so I don't think i'll have to adjust my wicking. I just don't like the fact of being dependent on one supplier for wax. I'll keep an eye on these and hold them back for a few days to make sure no cracks appear before releasing them in the stores.

Well, candle science said they will contact IGI about it and get back to me. Not expecting anything to come of it. I did heat gun the cracked ones and that seemed to take care of the issue for now. We'll see if the crack reappears. Might go back to candlewics CBL-130 for the next batch of wax I order. The CBL 130 is pretty much the same wax as 6006, so I don't think i'll have to adjust my wicking. I just don't like the fact of being dependent on one supplier for wax. I'll keep an eye on these and hold them back for a few days to make sure no cracks appear before releasing them in the stores.

What happens when you burn one of the candles? Does it crack again as the melt pool cools and shrinks?

Would liquid paraffin, or liquid oil, or super soft container wax help correct the stiffness of the wax?

Guest OldGlory

Seriously, we should not have to figure out what to add. IGI needs to address the problem.

Ray, if you have any more cracks, can you take a picture and forward it to Candle Science? And, share with us here  :)

With 6006 being a parasoy blend, it sounds like the percent portions may be off. I remember fooling around with parasoy and got cracks in the candle - with the percent being more on the soy side of the equation. Jeeze - I really like 6006 and am i the testing stages of sticking with 1 jar and 1 wax. 

Guest OldGlory

Grani, I have added soy (464) to 6006 for years and never had anything like this happen. There are other 6006 users on the board that also add soy without a problem. I don't know what they did to this batch, but it's not good wax. I can only hope that people who use the wax will watch their candles carefully!

Guest OldGlory

Flaming Candle has a very nice parasoy - I think it's called parasoy 600. I am still working out the wicking. The candles I have poured are really beautiful, it's easy to work with, takes color well - but I am getting wet spots still.

The cracks in my candles are fairly minimal. Nothing like the cracks in the pictures you posted Old Glory, which may have something to do with the design of the container. For the most part I am able to fix it with the heat gun, but it's just another unnecessary step to take. Thankfully, I only got one case. I will be sure when I order my next case it's a different lot #. I really would hate to switch wax and go through the entire wicking process again! 

Guest OldGlory

I gave serious consideration to staying with 6006. I'm pretty careful and observant and would notice immediately if something was different. I knew this wax was different when I first cut into a slab. And I really loathe wick testing. What made my decision easier to switch waxes is just this: IGI says there's nothing wrong with the wax. It's within their specs.

Fine, but it's not within my specs. I send out hundreds of candles at a time and it would only take one bad candle for my wholesale client to refuse a shipment because the wax in one candle cracked. They've done it before, and I had to eat all the materials AND pay for the shipment back to me. If IGI isn't willing to find out where the problem is, I just can't afford to take a loss on $1000 worth of materials and a week of work. Better to find a new wax that works equally well and has no reports of bad quality. I'll suck up the $200 in costs of testing.

Ya know Old Glory, I feel very horrible this happened to you and just hope that the order delivered has no repercussions.  I agree with you whole heartedly in your decision to move on.  If that happened to me and my big account I would be so upset and nervous and I could never financially and labor wise redo all the candles.  I just couldn't fathom getting a shipment back.  

reminds me of the time I had a whole order of candles going out and my wicks from Bittercreek were defective and they floated to the tops of the jar.  They admitted they had a bad batch of wicks and made good of the bad ones....but what about all the work that went into each candle and now had to be undone and redone?

I'll keep my fingers crossed and pray that all works out well.....I'm sure it will be just fine!

Trappeur

• 1 month later...
Guest OldGlory

I am pulling my hair out today. I have a purchase order to fill (I have 2 weeks to deliver it) and guess what wax IGI was sent back to Aztec. Batch # 1503549. Again. The first case seemed fine as I cut my way thru it, but when I opened the second case, the top slab was cracked right down the middle. Not a cut, but a crack that goes all the way thru the slab. I pushed back the flap of the lid and there it was: Batch 1503549.

Once again, be on the look out for this wax and watch it closely.

I have contacted Aztec and am waiting for word. This is getting ridiculous. It took a great leap of faith to even consider working with 6006 again, and now this. Looks to me like IGI thought they would pull a fast one and resell the bad wax.

I didn't read this entire thread, but I just wanted to say that EAP sells a wonderful 6006. I have 3 different lines in 7 different containers, using over 30 different oils and blends of oils, wicked with different sized of CD and LX wicks, and when I switched from IGI 6006 to EAP 6006, I did not have to change ONE THING. Not a wick or a percentage or an oil. Completely interchangeable. Plus it's cheaper. Plus EAP are lovely humans to do business with. The only difference I could detect is that EAP 6006 seemed to take color ever so slightly lighter.

just and option for any one having a problem with IGI 6006

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

After I poured 5 cases of 6006 for a client, and delivered that order, Aztec sent back the remaining 6006 to IGI, and told them they would not accept that batch number again. They even put it on their purchase orders - no batch 1503549.

I picked up 2 cases of 6006 Wednesday, drove home, cut up one case and starting melting it. When it was time to cut up the second case, I opened the box and saw the top slab was cracked in half. Reminded me of the bad wax, so I looked at the batch number - it is 1503549. I went back to the first box - batch 1503549. However, the first box was TOTALLY different wax. It was very moist and sticky with temperatures of 55 degrees. So, teaching moment here - even within a single batch, you can have totally different waxes. Don't ask me how that works. I feel like I'm being punked. Aztec is sending back this entire lot of 1503549. IGI said something like they didn't understand how that batch got sent back out.

I am so sick of this wax and IGI.

Guest OldGlory

In my recent purchase, one box was smooth and creamy, the other box was dry and brittle - and both came from the same batch. I am ready to walk away from the wax altogether. It was a huge leap of faith to try it again after the batches of candles that were fractured. Now I just feel like I can't trust IGI. It's NOT Aztec!