1st scented pillar

Ok this is my first scented pillar it's pumpkin harvest it smells wonderful. .I made a few boo boos as you will see ..first I believe I poured my second pour to cool because I can see the separation at the bottom of the pillar next I just used wicks from hobby lobby..now my unscented burned ok. .I'm not sure can I use wick tabs or is it best the wick with the spool. Ok all suggestions welcome..post-9384-0-08026300-1445342748_thumb.jppost-9384-0-08026300-1445342748_thumb.jppost-9384-0-23609800-1445342798_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

That looks great for your first pillar! Congrats!

I have dabbled in pillar wax a bit and just love the different effects you can create by changing the temperature of the mold. I think my favorite pillar wax is 1343, but I like the look of 1274 too. I tried Premier wicks but keep going back to pretabbed zincs because I like the way they burn. There are some pillar pros here - hope they find this thread and give you some good ideas.

• Like 1

I make a lot of pillars, probably more than containers for online orders and yours looks good for your first time.  I use 4625 pillar wax and add 3 TBS stearic and 1 tsp vibar 103 per lb.  I started doing this years ago when I was having trouble with "snow flaking" and "fingernailing" - think that is what it was called years ago!  Anyway I searched for that wax and the old Cierra Candles website suggested doing this, I called them and asked why and they said IGI suggested this.  I started adding it and pillars turned out perfect and so I just kept adding it.  I pour my wax at about 180-185 and pour it to the top of mold, as it cools in shrinks in center then just filled (topped) in at 185 to just the top of wax on side of mold.  I also do a lot of poking with my stir stick to be sure there are no air pockets inside. I use flat braid wicks and usually the 27 works for all my 3" pillars.   

• Like 1

Ok please tell me what did I do wrong so I won't do it again. It's been sitting for maybe 3days ... The smell of pumpkin harvest was so good I lit it ... I had to burn it.. The first burn wasn't good it was going for about 1 hour then it went out the melt pour was about to cover the wick .. I think I trimmed the wick to small... Ok I let it set up again this Tim is good after a hour I smell the pumpkin harvest I go in the dining room and I find the pillar split down the side wax pouring onto the plate and the flame was a nice height.. Ugh what did I do wrong.. A lot I know and can I remelt and try it againpost-9384-0-00361900-1445634277_thumb.jppost-9384-0-76902500-1445634288_thumb.jppost-9384-0-63532800-1445634299_thumb.jppost-9384-0-03797300-1445634324_thumb.jp

I don't work with soy pillar wax, but I don't think it would do that if you burned it too soon unless it was still warm inside and then it would be hard to pull out of the mold. And you said it was 3 days, so I doubt that's it.

IMO it looks like it could have been a blow out, by either having a crooked wick, wrong wick size, or there could have been an air pocket which caused the blow out. 

• Like 1

I don't work with soy pillar wax, but I don't think it would do that if you burned it too soon unless it was still warm inside and then it would be hard to pull out of the mold. And you said it was 3 days, so I doubt that's it.

IMO it looks like it could have been a blow out, by either having a crooked wick, wrong wick size, or there could have been an air pocket which caused the blow out.

In total agreement.

Soy wax pillars are really hard to wick. The wax is brittle so you can't "hug" them like beeswax and some paraffin to help them along. so the trick is wicking to leave just enough shell to prevent a blowout - which is a real skill. You need just enough shell to prevent blowout and wax spillage.

If the wick is at all off-center the walls will be made unstable causing eventual blow out.. If the melt pool gets too close to the walls anywhere during the burn it can blow out.

I gave up on soy for pillars, leaving the wax for votives in a tight fitting cup. Relax and make more one or two at a time until you dial in the wicking.

One maker i know of uses palm wax for pillars - another blow out prone wax. She fits them into tight fitting glass cylinders so it's more like a votive with no messed up pillar mess.

• Like 1

Be sure it was not sitting under a ceiling fan as the fan will make the flame sorta blow to one side and blow out.  With paraffin all it needs is a little bit of melted wax to close to the wall and the hot wax overflows and you have a big mess!

• Like 1

In total agreement.

Soy wax pillars are really hard to wick. The wax is brittle so you can't "hug" them like beeswax and some paraffin to help them along. so the trick is wicking to leave just enough shell to prevent a blowout - which is a real skill. You need just enough shell to prevent blowout and wax spillage.

If the wick is at all off-center the walls will be made unstable causing eventual blow out.. If the melt pool gets too close to the walls anywhere during the burn it can blow out.

I gave up on soy for pillars, leaving the wax for votives in a tight fitting cup. Relax and make more one or two at a time until you dial in the wicking.

One maker i know of uses palm wax for pillars - another blow out prone wax. She fits them into tight fitting glass cylinders so it's more like a votive with no messed up pillar mess.

I really like the Eco Pillar Blend and I add container wax for my melts I wonder if I should just use straight Pillar blend? The hug technique that's when you mold the wax(hug) to give the top a curve kinda?im going to order a better wick I got this one from hobby lobby to play with.. I love pillars and want to conquer it... I hear great things about 4625 I may sample that and the Palm wX... Thanks guys . I will keep you posted ... I have this 3 wick mold coming... Lol interesting