More Chunk Tart Melts that I made this weekend! :)

puma52

Puma, those are gorgeous, of course, like all of your stuff is. 

I have this groovy mold (and another just like it only smaller for smaller chunks) that I pour my wax in for chunks. Love them.

is that mold flexi? I had one that was rigid and could not get the darned bits out.

I tried a chunk candle last night using little wax embeds I made a long time ago....my goodness am I awful at that- it looks chunky barf- I need a tutorial! Lol

Do you want a tutorial? :) It's too cold in the Candle Cave right now, but I could when it warms up. :) Hey... I could even talk you through it if you wanted me to. :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 2

So i finally figured out how to attach files. I have to use my Computer and not my IPAD :D   Here are a few photos. I stocked a store with Chunks, Cupcakes & scoopables i only work with Vegetable & Plant waxes.   I do two type of scoopables.  1 is a crumble and i use 464 for this.  I have found that my crumble scoopables only work with 464 and they need time to dry so it takes ab out 1 - 2 weeks to make a good crumble. i discovered how to do this by pure mistake, but i pour a think layer of wax into a very large cookie sheet and let it harden, about 30 min with the window open (and it's really cold here in cincy) next i take a drywall knife and scrape and cut repeatedly for about 10 min.  This creates fine crumbles.  I leave the crumbles on the cookie sheet to dry even more and about every 3 days i go scrape and cut until the wax no longer sticky on the cookie sheet.  I then transfer the wax to a Mason jar, lid and label and let it sit on the shelf even longer.  A lot of work but very popular.  My Other scoopable is a mix of 415 & oils a 40/60 mix.  This is just enough to make both the oil & wax scoop with a plastic spoon and stay solid when cold. i only use oils that are in a harden form already.

For my wax melts i use two methods.  the first is to pour a 8x8 pan full of wax scents let them cool and then cut them into small pieces i then pile them in to a mini bread pan and over pour my wax.  I cut them with monofilament (fishing line).  I am trying to get my guitar string cutter working, it's a hacksaw with the blade replaced with a guitar string, similar to or i should say exactly what soap makers use.  So i then cut up the chunks bag them to dry for about 1 - 2 weeks.

My other method is a use a ICE cube mold i found at Bed Bath Beyond.  they are itty bitty just big enough for chunks.  I do a light pam spray because they are not so easy to smack out.  I will pour 1 - 2 different scents in these molds.  Let them cure just long enough to take out (about 1 hr).  i then combine the chunks into another mold that i found at WALMART.  it's a 2" ice cube mold and it's just big enough to make these really large chunks.  If you use a soft enough wax your customers can cut them on their own because they are HUGE 2"x2".  Anywoooo, the molds work GREAT!!!! they crease 3 oz chunks and are easy to take out of the mold and to do multiples at once, i purchased 3 trays and will go back and buy at least 10 they were only $2.43 ea.  The mini molds were $3.99 for 2.

Here are a few photos

post-15167-0-04674300-1453859232_thumb.jpost-15167-0-13309000-1453859235_thumb.jpost-15167-0-00400400-1453859238_thumb.jpost-15167-0-14853600-1453859240_thumb.jpost-15167-0-80591300-1453859247_thumb.j

• Like 2

Question.....maybe this should be on a different thread but my chunk candle was made in a jar using little paw print wax embeds I had dyed in black with soy and of course they were frosted ugly but I thought an overpour of container soy would make them brighten up- it did to an extent but I lit it last night and after it cooled the color is just so frosty after it hardens back up I don't like it at all

Has anyone ever done a jar with paraffin dyed chunks/wax embeds and then did the overpour with a soy?

I have 4625 I could try this with and use 415 to fill the jar but I haven't played enough with parasoy blends that are not already blended for me (Clarus) to know if the results are worth trying or disasterous

So i finally figured out how to attach files. I have to use my Computer and not my IPAD :D   Here are a few photos. I stocked a store with Chunks, Cupcakes & scoopables i only work with Vegetable & Plant waxes.   I do two type of scoopables.  1 is a crumble and i use 464 for this.  I have found that my crumble scoopables only work with 464 and they need time to dry so it takes ab out 1 - 2 weeks to make a good crumble. i discovered how to do this by pure mistake, but i pour a think layer of wax into a very large cookie sheet and let it harden, about 30 min with the window open (and it's really cold here in cincy) next i take a drywall knife and scrape and cut repeatedly for about 10 min.  This creates fine crumbles.  I leave the crumbles on the cookie sheet to dry even more and about every 3 days i go scrape and cut until the wax no longer sticky on the cookie sheet.  I then transfer the wax to a Mason jar, lid and label and let it sit on the shelf even longer.  A lot of work but very popular.  My Other scoopable is a mix of 415 & oils a 40/60 mix.  This is just enough to make both the oil & wax scoop with a plastic spoon and stay solid when cold. i only use oils that are in a harden form already.

For my wax melts i use two methods.  the first is to pour a 8x8 pan full of wax scents let them cool and then cut them into small pieces i then pile them in to a mini bread pan and over pour my wax.  I cut them with monofilament (fishing line).  I am trying to get my guitar string cutter working, it's a hacksaw with the blade replaced with a guitar string, similar to or i should say exactly what soap makers use.  So i then cut up the chunks bag them to dry for about 1 - 2 weeks.

My other method is a use a ICE cube mold i found at Bed Bath Beyond.  they are itty bitty just big enough for chunks.  I do a light pam spray because they are not so easy to smack out.  I will pour 1 - 2 different scents in these molds.  Let them cure just long enough to take out (about 1 hr).  i then combine the chunks into another mold that i found at WALMART.  it's a 2" ice cube mold and it's just big enough to make these really large chunks.  If you use a soft enough wax your customers can cut them on their own because they are HUGE 2"x2".  Anywoooo, the molds work GREAT!!!! they crease 3 oz chunks and are easy to take out of the mold and to do multiples at once, i purchased 3 trays and will go back and buy at least 10 they were only $2.43 ea.  The mini molds were $3.99 for 2.

Here are a few photos

attachicon.gifIMG_3210.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3187.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3183.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3155.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0272.jpg

Just adorable! You did an awesome job! I love your labels.....SO CUTE! :) i'm so happy you posted your pics. I love seeing everyone's wax works! :) 

Question.....maybe this should be on a different thread but my chunk candle was made in a jar using little paw print wax embeds I had dyed in black with soy and of course they were frosted ugly but I thought an overpour of container soy would make them brighten up- it did to an extent but I lit it last night and after it cooled the color is just so frosty after it hardens back up I don't like it at all

Has anyone ever done a jar with paraffin dyed chunks/wax embeds and then did the overpour with a soy?

I have 4625 I could try this with and use 415 to fill the jar but I haven't played enough with parasoy blends that are not already blended for me (Clarus) to know if the results are worth trying or disasterous

Well shoot Moonshine! I wish I could help you on this. You got half my blend there (4625)...I'm going to have to bring you over to the 4794 side and we'll be good to go. :) Do you have any 4794 laying around there waiting for attention? :)  I hope someone who has used the soy as an over pour charges right in to give you their option and help! :)

• Like 1

Me too- lol

I don't have 4794- I am a soy girl... Started to play with paraffin and went with the 4625 for melts and I have blended 4625 and 415 for melts so I'm just going to give it a go and see what happens- hardest part will be the wicking, paraffin vs soy.....and I have never wicked all paraffin to know where that would begin! Lol

• Like 1

On 1/28/2016 at 8:40 PM, moonshine said:

Me too- lol
I don't have 4794- I am a soy girl... Started to play with paraffin and went with the 4625 for melts and I have blended 4625 and 415 for melts so I'm just going to give it a go and see what happens- hardest part will be the wicking, paraffin vs soy.....and I have never wicked all paraffin to know where that would begin! Lol

You know Moonshine...when I started making candles I did not know where to start, so when I called Cajun's to order my first supplies and get started on making candles, they suggested the paraffin wax that I still use to this day. Cajun did not even have soy as an option. So as time went on, lots of people were talking about soy, but I was scared to try it too. I just figured what I used was good and this old chick wasn't going to start changing. LOL! :)  Sometimes it's good to stay in our box..hee hee ...instead of thinking outside of it. :)

• Like 1

lol 

you are right- I have been playing with parasoy and I have tried 4625 and blended it with soy- I just can't completely step away from it- I love it! 

I have been staying in my box for the most part and I am ok with that! I will try these chunk candles with the 4625 chunks because it holds color so well and over pour with my soy and see what happens - if it's a flop well it's a flop- lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moonshine said:

lol 

you are right- I have been playing with parasoy and I have tried 4625 and blended it with soy- I just can't completely step away from it- I love it! 

I have been staying in my box for the most part and I am ok with that! I will try these chunk candles with the 4625 chunks because it holds color so well and over pour with my soy and see what happens - if it's a flop well it's a flop- lol

Nah....you flop?? Never!! :) LOL!!! You will probably end up making a fantastic chunk melt!! I know you will!! :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, moonshine said:

lol 

I was gonna try this exact thing a couple weeks ago. Please let us know if they turn out. And Puma-- oh my gosh!! I attempted to make some of these and I just gotta say I give you a ton of credit cause I think they are a pain in the hinder big time!! I don't know how you do it! It seemed like it took me forever! And coming up with what scents to go with which and what colors to go with these..oh my gosh!! I think I may have waited a little to long to cut up my chunks too cause there were like lots of wax shavings. I don't know what else to call them. They didn't cut nice like I thought they would so maybe if I cut them sooner. I seen a mold at BCN for chunks which would be nice but it's not cheap. Maybe if I used the 4794 they may cut better too. All I know is I dinked around a long time and looked like I did hardly nothing! You are definetly the queen of these bad boys!! :);) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guest said:

I was gonna try this exact thing a couple weeks ago. Please let us know if they turn out. And Puma-- oh my gosh!! I attempted to make some of these and I just gotta say I give you a ton of credit cause I think they are a pain in the hinder big time!! I don't know how you do it! It seemed like it took me forever! And coming up with what scents to go with which and what colors to go with these..oh my gosh!! I think I may have waited a little to long to cut up my chunks too cause there were like lots of wax shavings. I don't know what else to call them. They didn't cut nice like I thought they would so maybe if I cut them sooner. I seen a mold at BCN for chunks which would be nice but it's not cheap. Maybe if I used the 4794 they may cut better too. All I know is I dinked around a long time and looked like I did hardly nothing! You are definetly the queen of these bad boys!! :);) 

Ahhh.....you CAN do it!!! I make mistakes too let me tell ya...you just don't get to see the pics. :) If something doesn't turn out right, I do more research, think about it and go right back in after it. That's how we all learn. :) Yes, these do take a little time...when I am making these, I dedicate a whole weekend to them and I still don't get all of them made,  but I do make bigger batches of the ones I think will sell well so I don't have to make them so often. :) 

• Like 1

For those who sell online-get very good at making these! You could make your fortune with them! The biggest seller of these (their website boasts Home of The Original Wax Chunk Melt-or something like that) has a wait list of...get this...9-12 months. NO kidding!

She is so full that she is taking no custom orders this entire year!! Only Samplers. No links can be shared here but I can share in PM if you wish. My wax is naked so mine are invisible chunks-HA! Well, except my embed and overpour custom Cake Bites as pictured previously in this thread.

• Like 2

On February 1, 2016 at 6:41 PM, moonshine said:

I would like the link please 

very very curious 

If you search Home of the Original Chunk Wax Cake Melts you will find them. I can also give you a link in PM if you'd like. You'll not see any chunks available on their site right now. She can accept no custom chunk orders for the remainder of the year as the wait list is in the 9-12 month range. She did just do a 2 pound Chunk Sampler. For $50. Sold out in no time. Google the company and you will find many images people have posted. Also on FB (their page is over 5,000 people) and Instagram where you will see pics.

Likely the most popular brand among those of us who sell online. 

Thank tou

very very interesting 

appears they do an over pour in a colored scent as well 

I need to brainstorm on how to start these little gems incorporating soy into the mix as I am not at all familiar with straight paraffins other than 4625

I think my first batch this weekend will stem off a blend I already do....red chunks Mac apple- green chunks fresh grass and over pour with hayride in a light yellow maybe and see how it looks ?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I need to brainstorm on how to start these little gems incorporating soy into the mix as I am not at all familiar with straight paraffins other than 4625

I think my first batch this weekend will stem off a blend I already do....red chunks Mac apple- green chunks fresh grass and over pour with hayride in a light yellow maybe and see how it looks ?

Yes. I think maybe 4 scents are involved and the customer selects all 4 themselves. The Samplers she does how you all do them. Popular blends. 

Your blend sounds like it will smell and look wonderful!

5 hours ago, moonshine said:

Thank tou

very very interesting 

Wow Moonshine! That blend sounds amazing! :) The awesome part about this is that this type of product will NEVER grow old as there are thousands of combos a person could do. Isn't that just amazing and wonderful to think about??!! Hey....take a pic too....we want to see! :) 

• Like 2

Lol....I will post a picture IF they turn out!

that blend is one of my favorites but if I decide to do 4 scents for another color chunk I will have to think on that.....horse whispers is the name I gave it so maybe some carrots....???lol

I am going to start with 3 scents 

• Like 4