mass producing soap

ktaggard

When deciding about pricing, keep in mind what it would cost to replace a lost/stolen/damaged order. If the cost of replacing an order would make you lose money then you are priced too low.

Also factor in enough to cover for botched batches. It happens to all of us. If a botched batch will kill any hope for healthy profit on the sale then your prices are too low.

A WS customer of mine demanded that I drop my WS price by $.70 per bar because she was not making enough money. Well, the packaging she chose was ridiculously expensive for her market. I politely declined, said I was no longer able to work with her,  and sent her links for The Soap Guy and Soap By The Log among others that would fit her price point. After 3 days she agreed to pay my price because nobody else would do what she wanted. Stick to your guns.

WIth pottery someone suggested rather than throwing individual pieces on a wheel I instead slip cast everything so the pots could be made faster and cheaper (Made In China style). I asked why the heck I would want to do that... the reply, so I could pass the savings on to my customers. Clearly that person does not understand what I do or the market to which I cater.

• Like 2

Oh! Don't get me started on some of the ridiculous requests some customers make! I always explain if they want a custom order they have to pay upfront for cost and materials and will have to wait for R&D and cure times. Once they realize whats really involved in what they want they back down!

For those that are serious I tell them I will work out a proposal with dates, timelines, and expenses, etc. I vary rarely have to do this.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

I'm taking a break from my greeter's job at Walmart to reply to some of you talented folks who know more about this racket than I do.

First and foremost; I seriously hope I have not offended my dear friend in any way. I'd rather take a beating from some huge mugger than do that. If she has seen this thread I hope she never let's me know it, but quietly considers the opinions posted here and adjusts her prices accordingly.

My first reaction when she told me her wholesale pricing was to place a large order with her, but my sense of fairness kicked-in, because I knew I would always feel that I had taken advantage of her. That's not something a friend would do.

There is a possibility that she has already raised her prices and all of this may be irrelevant. I have not spoken with her about it in the past year or so, because I really sense that she resents my nagging and interference in her business. I just wish her wealth and health!

I'm not cut from the same fabric as most of you. This is not a labor of love for me. I was drafted by my dear wife for this service.

She promised to be my partner and assistant when she urged me into resuming candle production for our existing jewelry shop after a several year hiatus.

To date and over a 15 year or so period, She has wicked about two cases of jars, put about 25 (crooked) labels on candles and helped pour wax into a couple hundred jelly jars that I had ready to go from pre-filled pour pots. I cleaned up the spills, though.

I honestly don't remember my sweetheart ever making a single bar of soap. She is, however always dragging complicated molds home for me to pour "cute" bars and then figure out how to wrap the damn things! She loves taking custom orders and always promises them the following week-end.

Our shop is only opened on Saturdays now since I've become disabled. Which brings me to another point. If you think making candles and soap can be difficult or tiresome, try doing it from a wheelchair in a room with very little floor space to work from.

Am I bitching? You bet I am and I know it. It does make me feel a bit better, though as long as I know my wife of 40 years (This September 25th . . . The day before my 66th birthday . . . You can PM me for my PayPal account. Gift payments of any size are gladly encouraged and cheerfully accepted. Please avoid sending flowers, though. At my age any "triggers" which evoke thoughts of funeral parlors should be avoided, according to my cardiologist.) doesn't discover my passcode to the internet and Craft Server site! She refers to CS as the place I hang-out with my candle-making girlfriends. She tells me to remember, though "That what can't get up, can't get out"!!!

Well my break time is over. Time to get back to work . . .

"Welcome to Walmart! Enjoy you're stay! We have the lowest prices in town!"

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

Order from that friend!

I learned long ago that some businesses sell 2 items and make $20 profit, and other businesses sell 10 items and make $20 profit. It's their choice to operate the business that way. Support your friends!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I was talking to the husband last night about my profit margins. On paper they seem a lot higher than what's in my checking account. But I absolutely love what I'm doing. I'm going to figure this out and make millions.

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I was talking to the husband last night about my profit margins. On paper they seem a lot higher than what's in my checking account. But I absolutely love what I'm doing. I'm going to figure this out and make millions.

Good for you Ktaggard!  You go girl!

Trappeur

• 1 month later...

I have a wholesale account and my cupcakes I sell for 3.95 each to start...depends on how much they weigh and the time/effort I put into them and also

if they are seasonal/limited they are more expensive due to demand. My bars also depend on weight and effort. Very simple soaps start at 4.25 and go up from

there. Cake slice ect more. I sell to boutiques. That is my target market because I just don't add lye and pour...my soap is artisan.