Okay, I gotta..... my very first candles are cooling now!

I did it! I managed to hold out until the Presto Pot arrived! I have no idea how I managed  B)

I'm now (im)patiently waiting for my very first candles to cool to the point where I can light them up and oooooo and ahhhhhhh and whine when they aren't perfect  :P

I did three for my first ever batch. All three are in jelly jars, no fragrance, one with a C-60, one with a C-65, one with a C-70 wick. I'm fully prepared for all three to end up as disasters, though I'm hoping I get a decent burn from one of them!

I've started my candle making journal, to record lots and lots of notes about these.

Now for the next challenge: Holding out long enough to give these guys a chance to be tested before digging in and pouring a set with FO...

It's official, I've joined the loonies here!  :D

Cheers!

Bruce.

Good job!  On the road to total loonieness and fun.  Next time don't put the wick in until the candle sets up so you can just change the size after the first burn if it's too much or too little.

I think you're going to find those wicks are too big, but I don't know what kind of wax you used so they may work.  I use a C-60 or C-62 in a 3 1/8" wide jar depending on fragrance.

These wicks are definitely too big. The 70 is throwing soot, and the 60 had a full melt pool after about an hour and a half on the first burn, all three are mushrooming like mad...

Still though.... my first candles!!!  :02:

I totally forgot about not wicking and poking a wick in to see what works. I'll definitely have to try that.

Woo hoo!

Couple of days? What couple of days? B)  I think they were fully cooled by the time I lit them the first time, maybe.... Did I mention that I can be a tad impatient at times?  :lol:

Honestly, the first batch was totally intended to be throw-away, do everything wrong once.  :P

My next batch will be more serious, I'm going to do up two with C-50 and C-55 and 5% FO (probably Lavender), maybe do four, two each with C-50 and C-55 and two each with 5% and 7%. Those will definitely get the full two weeks cure time, while I slowly but surely burn my first set to the ground in a blaze of glory (well, hopefully not too much blaze!)

Oh, and definitely do the "Poke a hole for the wick so you can pull out one that's over/under powered and try something else without having to repour the whole thing", uh, thing.

What the heck, I'm having fun, and that's the whole point!

Cheers,

Bruce.

Got a pair of needle nose pliers?  If so, get a good grip on the wick and give it a jerk...might have to jerk a couple of times but the wick should come out & you can replace with the next size you want to test. (I'm the queen of impatience)

• Like 1

Got a pair of needle nose pliers?  If so, get a good grip on the wick and give it a jerk...might have to jerk a couple of times but the wick should come out & you can replace with the next size you want to test. (I'm the queen of impatience)

Even better: Forceps! I've got a C-50 and C-55 in now, let's see how that goes. Thanks! Should have thought of just giving them a sharp tug, lol

Thanks Belinda!

For those keeping track (hehe), I yanked out the C-65 and C-70 wicks and replaced with C-50 and C-55. Major difference! A little bit of mushrooming on the 55, and the merest hint of a mushroom on the 50. After 2.5 hours (the jelly jars are 2.5 inches across), the melt pool on both was about 1/8 of an inch from the glass. Looks like we may have a winner!

Now, can I focus on work and not fire up and pour my first scent to cure while I play with these two?

Maybe.......

Always better to try to be patient and give it a full two weeks before you light them. The difference is night and day. When I first started, I was excited too. I made candles every single day so that it when the two weeks were up, I could try something new everyday. Your burn in two weeks will be so much different than it would be right now that you'd be doing yourself a disservice to burn them too quickly. I know it's tough because this is super exciting, but try to hang in there!

That's the plan, Shoegal. This first batch is just to give me an "Oo, shiny!" while I get a real batch done and curing :)

BTW, I like the idea of doing something every day so that in two weeks, I'll have something new to try every day!

Edited by drllama

Guest OldGlory

When you add fragrance to the equation it will probably change your wicking requirements a little. Many times, fragrances heavy with vanilla (bakery scents often have a lot of vanilla) will require an incrementally larger wick than other fragrances, but sometimes a non-bakery scent will shock you too. Now that you have a baseline you will still have to tweak it a bit.