Product Liability Insurance

Hi, I know there is a Topic discussing this in Business Side of things but they all told me no Insurance available If I make my own candles. Can anyone please tell me who they use for this?

Thanks in advance.

If you make your candles just for YOU and are not selling them, then you wouldn't need product liability insurance, because you wouldn't have to insure your product against damages, lawsuits, or theft. However, if you give them away, in order to be covered for lawsuits, you may have to establish a business anyway, to get the Product Liability Insurance, because people could sue if a candle you gave away harmed them or their property in any way. 

What you might need is hazard insurance if it's just for you though? But, IDK - I never had any insurance in place until I established my business and started giving out testers to other than family members. 

Edited by Jcandleattic

Yes, I have a business and I also checked into all the company's listed except the soap guild. None of them would cover candle making. I will check into the soap guild tomorrow. How much is a membership? I also read where if you private label which we are doing then you have to contact Veracity Insurance and it cost extra.

Indie Business Network does

Quote from their site

"

If you are a manufacturer of handmade products such as candles, jewelry, lotion, soap, bath salts, perfume, essential oils, candles, jewelry, perfumes, fragrance oils, base oils, waxes, powders, masks and scrubs, you quality for product liability insurance coverage through our program. Candy, cookies and other baked goods are covered only if they are sold in a set (such as a gift basket) in conjunction with cosmetics/jewelry/candles that are covered. If they are sold separately from covered cosmetics/jewelry/candles, they are not covered by this program. Other items that are not covered include products such as these: drugs, nutritional supplements, products requiring a prescription, cosmetics designed for internal use, coffee, tea, children’s toys and meat products. If you are unsure as to whether or not your product is covered, please contact Valerie Bjarnson at Veracity Insurance at (866) 395-1308 or ibn at veracityins dot com for assistance."

I do not know if SafeCo is in your state, but they cover candle businesses.
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I just spoke with Soap Guild and it's 520 for basic candle business coverage up to a year. Million Dollar liability and 5000 for theft and other things.

That is who I have used for product and general liability for the last 7 years or so. You can increase your policy if your venues require it. it's also easy as pie to add a named insured when Markets require.