High Oleic vs Regular Sunflower Oil

Candybee

Has anyone made soap using each oil? Just wondering if one feels different or acts different in soap.

I love how regular sunflower and its high linoleic acid makes my skin so soft.

Does high oleic do the same? I'm wondering because it's low in linoleic but high in oleic.

I use the high oleic due to the conditioning properties and the shelf life. Also, the regular and HO aren't interchangeable (I don't believe) I think they have slightly different SAP levels. They might be close enough that they can be interchangeable but I know in my SM3 and also on SoapCalc they are listed separately. 

I guess I am not very good at describing what I am trying to find out. I am familiar with the differences in both oils as explained. What I am trying to determine is if the high oleic sunflower is as skin softening as the regular sunflower? I am blown away by how soft my skin feels when I use my soap made with regular sunflower oil as opposed to a soap made with a high oleic oil such as olive oil. I can definitely feel the difference on my skin.

I guess to me skin conditioning and skin softening are not necessarily the same properties when it comes to the feeling they leave on the skin. HTH

Here are the profiles according to Soapcalc: Sunflower-Palmitic 7, Stearic 4, Oleic 16, Linoleic 70, Linolenic 1, High Oleic Sunflower: Palmitic 3, Stearic 4, Oleic 83, Linoleic 4, Linolenic 1.

Oleic acid is an emollient (skin softener) "Oleic acid as its sodium salt is a major component of soap as an emulsifying agent". It is also used as emollient.

So High Oleic would have more skin softening qualities but the real value is the difference in the Linoleic (70 versus 4)to me is a real game changer. Nothing smells worse than rancid oil. I prefer to buy my High Oleic in bulk, so it has to be High Oleic. Typically, I rarely exceed 10% in a formula and that has a lot to do with the need for more olive oil qualities in high butter formulations. I use it to balance out the formula and make it more emollient. I have a no olive formula that is quite nice but the tallow and butters need a little help. Does that help CB?

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

Yes it helps. Thanks!

I am loving my soaps I make with regular sunflower oil. I have been playing with the linoleic level and try to go as high as I dare. I use other oils to help stabilize it and watch my iodine and linoleic levels to formulate my recipe.

So far I have been combining olive oil and regular sunflower and loved the way the added sunflower made my skin softer than my recipe without it. I have been working with regular sunflower oil since last year and started adding it to many soaps. I had only one recipe develop DOS and so I reworked it and haven't had any problems since.

So... I was thinking why can't I add both reg and high oleic Sunflower oils?!! So I plugged in a recipe and tweaked with it on soapcalc. Its hard to keep the linoleic level and the iodine in the range I want it but juggling other oils and butters helped make it more stable.

So far its a 6 oil recipe with both sunflowers in there. Will let you know how I like it. Will also put a few bars away to see if I have any that develop DOS or go rancid.

• 1 year later...

`I didn't have any go rancid or develop DOS. But I did discover that I like the regular sunflower blended with olive oil combo. The OO helps to stabalize the sunflower and the recipe I developed allows the soap to have a long shelf life. It's extra gentle and conditioning and makes my skin feel so soft.

Actually, its one of the recipes I intend to share in the soap of the month thread for the month of Feb 2017.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...