Need some help.... still testing but son wants candles when I visit

I just started my testing with one wax (6006), wickless so i can change out wicks, no FO, no color. I am going to NYC to visit my son valentines weekend and he asked if I could bring a yellow and a blue candle. His wife loves to burn candles. I told him I was just starting to test all my wicks, that there was no guarantee that they would burn nice or have a good smell, but I would do my best.

I would like to be able to make his candles this weekend so they have all week to cure, I just don't have very much testing under my belt. I am going to make him one in a 8 oz tin and the other will be a 11.5 oz straight sided tumbler. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have little time to test and only one shot at getting him a decent candle (this time anyway).

Here are the two containers I am going to make him?

8 oz tin (3" dia.) -  with 6006 wax, pale yellow, either lemon pound cake or coconut lime verbena (both CS). Before I left for work this morning I poured 3-8oz tins without wick, FO, or color.  I am going to test them with Zinc 51-32-18, CD-12, and LX-22 (is this LX too big?). I do understand that if i like one of these, it will be different when i add the FO and color.

11.5 oz Straight Sided Tumbler - with 6006 wax, light-medium blue, hydrangea FO (both from CS). This container is 3" dia. x 3 1/2" high. Am I safe to think I can probably use the same wick that I use for the tins since they are both 3" diameters?

I will heat to 190 F, and add color, FO at 185, and pour about the same. They will cool in a warmed up cooler since my basement work area is fairly chilly.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on different wicks, scents, temps, etc. I do have ECO, RRD, and cotton core also and lots of fragrances. I thought about blueberry cobbler, but he said they like more flowery.  I do understand that what works for you may not necessarily work for me.

Thank in advance,

Patti

PDittman,

Your not going to like my answer but I would say no to making up some candles to give to someone to burn when you have no experience ......it's not worth it to experiment with someone elses life.  Your not ready.  It takes a long time of testing, getting to know your wax, wicking etc.  Making candles is a serious affair that takes a long time to master.  And what works for 1 person doesn't mean it will work for another person (you).  Asking for help in where to start as far as selection of wicks as a starting point is fine, but it is just a starting point. Start from the ground and work up.  Take your time, read and read and read and ask questions.  That is what this board is for.  Go and enjoy time with your son and family and down the road when you are ready to give a candle out after you have mastered your candles you can then give to family.

I know others will come here and add their opinions and I can pretty much tell you, WE will be all saying the same thing.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 2

Exactly as Trap said, you are not ready to give your candles out yet. Wait until you have several fully tested candles, and they burn the way you are satisfied with them burning and then you can give to others as testers to see if they have the same results you have. If those testers are your family, so be it, but until you know your candle, wax, wick inside and out - exactly as you are going to grow them and market/sell them, it is not worth the risk. 

Starting out is very exciting and it's awesome your son and his wife are excited for you too, but if it were me, I would wait. 

Ditto, it's sad that we have to WAIT and TEST, but honestly worth it.  I even went through the whole testing process again when I stopped making candles for a year...and I had

all my notes, formulas and 9 years of doing this behind me.  I wanted to be sure they were safe for others to use.  Your son will be thrilled when he gets to be your hot throw

tester for new fragrances!

• Like 1

Ditto, it's sad that we have to WAIT and TEST, but honestly worth it.  I even went through the whole testing process again when I stopped making candles for a year...and I had

all my notes, formulas and 9 years of doing this behind me.  I wanted to be sure they were safe for others to use.  Your son will be thrilled when he gets to be your hot throw

tester for new fragrances!

I did the same thing, because even though I used the same wax (my hiatus was 2 years) you never know when they will throw a wrench in it and change formulas on you. 

Didn't take as long as the first go around but it was still a good 2-3 months worth of new testing. *sigh* It always comes down to testing, doesn't it? 

I totally understand what you are saying.

Just to expand a little bit, when i say i just started testing with "one" wax, I meant that I had been doing testing with several types, ecosoya adv & excel, paraffin, and started working with the 6006 and several wick types.  I realized i was diving in too deep and getting too hard to test them all and keep track, so i decided to start from scratch and test with just one wax.  Granted I still don't have a huge amount of testing done since i only started making candles last Sept/Oct, but i may have misstated when i said i just started testing with one wax. I meant i just started testing with one wax instead of several.

I totally understand what you are saying.

Just to expand a little bit, when i say i just started testing with "one" wax, I meant that I had been doing testing with several types, ecosoya adv & excel, paraffin, and started working with the 6006 and several wick types.  I realized i was diving in too deep and getting too hard to test them all and keep track, so i decided to start from scratch and test with just one wax.  Granted I still don't have a huge amount of testing done since i only started making candles last Sept/Oct, but i may have misstated when i said i just started testing with one wax. I meant i just started testing with one wax instead of several.

I got that, but I still maintain that if you don't know exactly how your candle is going to perform with all the variables, scent, wick, jar, etc, after several test candles, then it is still not advisable to give them away. 

But, that is just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Nothing more I can add to whats already been said except to reiterate. The way I look at it, if you still have to ask questions about your candle whether its the wax, wick, dye, scent, etc., its not ready to give out. Finish testing. You will get there. This is where patience will pay off. Safety should be your mantra when it comes to candle crafting.

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

Ditto. And we get this exact same question from a newb at least once a month, so you are in good company. We all understand the desire to make some great candles right NOW! We were once in your shoes. But it doesn't work that way. You have to put in the work, the testing.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION it would be completely irresponsible of a seasoned chandler to say otherwise. We want you to be safe, we want your son to be safe, we want you both to recognize the inherent dangers of a poorly made candle and to respect the process. It's not like baking a pan of brownies. With candles you are literally playing with fire. A house could burn down, a life could be lost, and many other innocent people could be affected.

Did you know that one of the most common causes for house fires is a CANDLE? So when you say you only have one shot at getting him a decent candle, I recommend buying it.

Keep on plugging along and master that wax! Testing takes time. There's just no way to short cut it. Burning that same candle different ways over time will be enlightening.

Postage to ship a great, finished, tested candle is cheap compared to possibly leaving a bad impression with one that burns poorly. What's the saying? You have one chance to make a first impression. Might as well make it a good one =)

• Like 1