Shipping

flair

Hi guys.. Haven't been around lately as my grandmother passed away and it has been a real trying time for our family. But on the bright side I have the need to ship a few candles and wanted to know what you guys have experienced as the best must cost effective way is to package and ship. It is just a jar candle and some melts but I don't want it to break but I want to keep the cost low as well.. Would really appreciate any help.

Sorry for your loss.

My advice is always to wrap well and do not try for the smallest box you can. The closet in my wax room looks like a USPS shipping station. I have wholesales of every box I can including Flat Rate boxes and Regional A and B boxes. I buy tissue several reams at a time. I do not make candles so of course I do not ship them. I would be a mess shipping glass! I do ship several boxes every day.

Package well and seal well. Use the USPS website to calculate prices. My customers pay for shipping. Both they, and I, expect nice service for that cost. Them from me and me from my friends at the USPS.

I have a question for you justajesuschick

I know you make only tarts.  I do as well but have been making them for friends , family and church  baskets. 

I would like to send to some friends out of state but am at a loss as to how to wrap and make them look good in a little bag or zip bad.The ones I make are round. 

Would you mind giving me a  few tips on a good way to wrap to make them look like a nice gift.  I think I would ship in proiority padded envelope.

Thanks so much

Karen

Well, most of my customers are buying for self-use so the only real gift-like things I do is that when I am shipping to another person FOR them, I add Christmas or other themed tissue to their recipient's box with a note that it was gifted to them by a friend or family member. 

Otherwise, my items are packaged in scent safe polypropylene bags and tied with either a plaid fabric consistent with my brand or a hand stamped muslin tie. The stamped ties are a lot more work so I do not use them quite as much as I used to.  Single items are packaged in polypropylene zip top bags with a label. 

I attached some pics to better show what I describe.

post-9853-0-43765200-1418559055_thumb.jp

post-9853-0-04820100-1418559116_thumb.jp

post-9853-0-98545400-1418559762_thumb.jp

I use bubble wrap around the jars then nestle them in peanuts. Both can be found at your local office supply or craft store. Although I only buy bubble wrap and save the peanuts my supplies come in so I can use then later for shipping. Saves me money on peanuts.

I also use USPS because if I can fit into a flat rate box I can save money. You can save even more by using regional rate boxes and buying your postage online. You will have to register online to open an account to buy postage online. You can also order all kinds of flat rate boxes including regional flat rate boxes online. The boxes are free.

If you don't have the time to order boxes then go to your local post office and you can pick up flat rate boxes for free. You can't get the regional rate boxes unless you order them online.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I hate to mention this, but I shipped a box a couple of weeks ago USPS, candles wrapped in bubble wrap, many other things in the box but nothing breakable. 2 candles arrived safely, 1 arrived broken, and these were pillars. I packed, repacked, repacked and finally repacked the box, rewrapping the pillars each time and they were up to the wear and tear before they left. I can only imagine what the box would have looked like if it had contained glass.

Be sure you have insurance on your package. You have no idea if someone is going to accidentally drop a box or intentionally throw a box (or maybe drop kick it if he/she is having a bad day). I don't ship often, but it might be a good idea to take a pic of the items sitting beside the box they will be shipped in as proof.

justajesuschick  your  tarts are beautiful !!

As for the scent safe polypropylene bags do you puchase them on line?  I have some zip locks I got at walmart in the craft section but I don't imagine they are scent safe.

Thanks for the pics.

Karen

I hate to mention this, but I shipped a box a couple of weeks ago USPS, candles wrapped in bubble wrap, many other things in the box but nothing breakable. 2 candles arrived safely, 1 arrived broken, and these were pillars. I packed, repacked, repacked and finally repacked the box, rewrapping the pillars each time and they were up to the wear and tear before they left. I can only imagine what the box would have looked like if it had contained glass.

Be sure you have insurance on your package. You have no idea if someone is going to accidentally drop a box or intentionally throw a box (or maybe drop kick it if he/she is having a bad day). I don't ship often, but it might be a good idea to take a pic of the items sitting beside the box they will be shipped in as proof.

Sorry that happened to you.

Bubble wrap is only part of the packaging. It has to be bubble wrapped then placed in a thick layer of peanuts. I pack my jars in bubble wrap and surrounded by heavy layer of peanuts on all sides plus top and bottom. You have to pack like you know they are going to drop the box. If you can shake the box and hear any sounds you need more peanuts. Have not had one incident of breakage in all the years I've been wrapping my jars this way.

• Like 2

Sorry that happened to you.

Bubble wrap is only part of the packaging. It has to be bubble wrapped then placed in a thick layer of peanuts. I pack my jars in bubble wrap and surrounded by heavy layer of peanuts on all sides plus top and bottom. You have to pack like you know they are going to drop the box. If you can shake the box and hear any sounds you need more peanuts. Have not had one incident of breakage in all the years I've been wrapping my jars this way.

I always shake my package vigorously before sealing just to make sure nothing is moving around inside there. 

Nothing (know on wood) has ever been broken... 

• Like 2

i pack fragile items individually (in bubble wrap as needed) inside a small box, then that small box goes in the bigger box loaded with dunnage.

Peanuts need to be crammed in super tight to work with fragile items. Any shifting at all will ruin your good bubble wrapping intentions. If loose the items inside roam around and end up banging into each other. Tightly wadded paper works well. Wadded paper betwen peanuts can actually work better.

Expect your packages to drop several feet at a time on the sorting belts. So, drop your packages off your counter top to a concrete floor. Then do it again, repeat several times, that will simulate the treatment in the journey to the final addressee. If anything shifts, stuff more dunnage inside til nothing even jiggles.

• Like 3

i pack fragile items individually (in bubble wrap as needed) inside a small box, then that small box goes in the bigger box loaded with dunnage.

Peanuts need to be crammed in super tight to work with fragile items. Any shifting at all will ruin your good bubble wrapping intentions. If loose the items inside roam around and end up banging into each other. Tightly wadded paper works well. Wadded paper betwen peanuts can actually work better.

Expect your packages to drop several feet at a time on the sorting belts. So, drop your packages off your counter top to a concrete floor. Then do it again, repeat several times, that will simulate the treatment in the journey to the final addressee. If anything shifts, stuff more dunnage inside til nothing even jiggles.

Yes! Yes! To all of this!! I cram the peanuts in so TIGHT I practically have to sit on the box to close and seal it. You don't want anything moving around in the box.

I don't have small fragile items but if I do I like the idea of packing them in a small box inside the big box. Haven't tried the paper layers in between the peanuts.

I also lay down a layer of bubble wrap on the bottom of the box and on on the top for extra protection. Sometimes if I have extra jars I will use a larger box than I need just so I can use extra peanuts and bubble wrap.

Edited by Candybee