It was bound to happen

I've been pouring candles since 2005 - it was bound to happen.  Last week I got near the bottom of the presto so I just emptied it and wiped out all the floaters.  I filled it back up with 4 pounds of wax ready to go again.  I turned it on tonight and went upstairs when my daughter called me.  Yep.  I forgot to close the spigot!  Thankfully, I had also scraped my table so it was clean.  All I had to do was scrap up about 3 pounds of wax and put it back in the pot.  sheesh!

• Like 2

I've been pouring candles since 2005 - it was bound to happen.  Last week I got near the bottom of the presto so I just emptied it and wiped out all the floaters.  I filled it back up with 4 pounds of wax ready to go again.  I turned it on tonight and went upstairs when my daughter called me.  Yep.  I forgot to close the spigot!  Thankfully, I had also scraped my table so it was clean.  All I had to do was scrap up about 3 pounds of wax and put it back in the pot.  sheesh!

Oh no Georgia!!! I'm glad you were able to get the most of it back in the pot. Such unruly wax!! :)

So far I have not had it happen to me. I think its because after reading posts here about that happening to others I always make a habit of checking the spigot before I turn on my melter.

I have spilled a pouring pot full of red colored cinnamon scented hot wax-- about 2-3 lbs. Red all over my kitchen cabinets, floor, everything. It took forever to clean it up but tons of paper towels and my heat gun did the job. Actually the red wax was easier to see to clean up. Anyway, my kitchen smelled really good! LOL

• Like 1

I did that like 2-3 times when I first started making candles (also my spigot leaked sometimes even when it was closed), so said to hell with it and got rid of the spigoted presto and now only use ones without. 

Luckily I never colored my wax in my presto, so I never had that misfortune! Thank goodness!! 

My meltor sits one of those portable kitchen table racks. I point the spigot over a sliding drawer so when I turn my meltor on I pull out the drawer. The drawer has a large catch pan (used sheet cake pan) inside it to collect any wax that may come out of the spigot. Catches every drop and works like a charm. Also, if I do accidentally leave the spigot open when I turn it on I may be able to catch most or all of the wax before it all spills out.

• Like 1

OK, I've pretty much done all the above over the past 14 years. Like Candybee, I had some wax spill on my kitchen floor--it was brown and gimgerbread scented. Paper towels & heat gun were my friend. When I pour, I always put a huge plastic drop cloth on the floor, so when I forgot to close the spigot, the wax ran onto the drop cloth and I caught it before I lost alot of wax. I feel among friends LOL