Do FO's turn bad after so many years? Some of mine are 5 years old.

GailC

I started making candles in 2009 and still have a few bottles of FO I bought that first year or thereabouts. Plus I bought some from an individual and have no idea how old they were when I bought them.

I was going through my cabinet and smelling some of the old stuff.  It still seems fine to me.  I have one bottle with some 'sludge' looking stuff at the bottom which I'll probably never use, except maybe for myself.

Just wondering if  you use FO's that are a few years old.  

If I could quit buying new fragrances, I'd have to get to the old stuff sooner or later, but we all know how that goes. 

I have a few that are over 10 years old and still smell great in candles.  I've only had maybe 2 FO's smell rancid after a few years and I just threw them out.

Whew! Thanks! That takes the pressure off.  I have a few years left to use up those FO's from Heaven Scent.  :)  (I miss that supplier.  Good FO's at good prices and from good old Indiana.)

• Like 1

If they are bad, you will know it. Your nose will tell you. 

Just like ChrisR, I have some FO's that are 10-15+ years old and they still smell as good as the day I got them. Most will be fine, but I have had to throw others out just after 2 years. So, it just depends I think. Let your nose be your guide. 

I know for me, however, I will only use FO's that are 2 years or less for anything B&B - but for candles, if they still smell good OOB, I will still use them. 

Same here. I have bottles that are more than 5 yrs old and still smell great. I only had maybe 1 or 2 ever go bad and I just threw them out.

Some FOs just smell better with age. Eg.; patchouli. If you can resist using a good patchouli oil set it aside for a year or two. It gets deeper and more earthy with time.

Whew! Thanks! That takes the pressure off.  I have a few years

left to use up those FO's from Heaven Scent.  :)  (I miss that supplier.  Good FO's at good prices and from good old Indiana.)

I have oils from Bert that are still great! She was my 1st supplier and that was about 8 years ago. I wish she was still here!

• Like 1

Same as Chris here. If properly stored, good quality fragrances will last for quite a while.

I agree! I do end up transferring a lot of oils from plastic bottles to amber glass, especially the ones that start caving in on themselves. Then I have shelves in my basement where they're stored in a fairly cool, constant temperature year round and away from sunlight. :D