Does anyone use commercial soap?

Candybee

I love to ask this question every now and then. I haven't bought a bath soap since 2006. I only use handmade, primarily my own.

A few years ago I found a bar of Dove soap in my linen closet. I thought to myself I should try it and see if I have been missing anything. So I bathed with it. Ten minutes later I had to jump in the shower and wash myself off with my handmade soap. I could not believe how dry, itchy, and filmy my skin felt. Ick! And to think I used to wash daily with that and thought it was normal to slather body oil and lotion on my skin after every bath. I don't use body lotion or oils on my skin anymore since I have been using real soap.

• Like 3

Guest OldGlory

I haven't used a commercially made bar of soap in 15 years. I bought some handmade soap at a crafts fair in Gatlinburg in 1999 and that was it for me. I do have to use lotions but I'm just as picky about them as I am soap. When they discontinue something I've been using, it takes me 1/2 an hour in the lotion aisle to read ingredient labels and get happy with a choice. Now I just bite the bullet and use Burt's Bees because I love the ingredients.

I haven't used a commercial soap in almost 25 years. Before I started making soap, I would buy homemade soap from crafters at craft shows. My cousin - who owns goats and sheep - would make GM soap occasionally as well and I get some from her. 

Then I started making my own and I must say as much as I loved the crafters soaps and my cousins, I make such a better product than they did. I don't know if it's because there is more information readily available now than there was back then, or if it's all in my head or what, but that's how I feel. 

Several years ago I went on a trip and forgot to bring my soap, and I had to use the hotel soap. I thought I was going to go out of my mind itching and scratching - and this was after just one shower. After that, I tried washing my body with my shampoo. It was marginally better, but not by much. 

I will NEVER forget to pack a bar of my soap on my travels again, and if I do, I will search until I can find a market, a whole foods, something - that has handmade soaps... (or just do a water bath - seriously I will NEVER use a commercial soap again - never - even if I stop making I will seek out good handmade soap) 

I do still use lotion, but mostly I use my own handmade lotions that I've been making for about a year and a half now. I used to use and still get some from B&BW every now and then, (I call it market research) and try them just for their scents. LOL 

• Like 1

I haven't used commercial soap in a few years.  I was actually using body wash, which wasn't too bad on my skin.  But what I make is way better and I can make it in any fragrance I want to. :)

I do use my body butters and sugar scrubs as extra for my skin as well.  Especially my feet which used to crack and bleed but not any more!

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

I can't think of another every day item that I feel this way about. I like a certain coffee (on the rare occasion I drink it), and certain teas, brands of bread, but I don't get panicky if I can't buy them. I just buy something else. When it comes to handmade soap, I stockpile, lol. Honestly, it should be MORE readily available instead of just at craft shows because it is such a superior every day product.

Back when I made soap I had a customer that literally stalked me for my soap, lol. Reminded me of myself :)

I have not used any other kind of soap other than my handmade since I started making last year. The soaps we all make have the most luscious ingredients known to us. I will hopefully never use another commercial soap ever again. I love the one I make and I have gotten so many compliments on my facial skin since I started using my own soap...seriously....it has to be that divine shea butter! :) Great question Candybee! :)   

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

Ok I have to learn how to make soap... I want theses results. I purchased the supplies and they have been here for a year ...I'm just gonna do it..I'm gonna stop being scared

You can do it! You won't regret it. 

Don't be scared, just respectful of the process and the chemicals you are using. Once you get 2-3 batches under your belt you will have less anxiety and can enjoy it even that much more. :) 

Guest OldGlory

Oh mzphee, how I can relate to your hesitance!

I waited 10 years to jump in, too scared because of the lye. One day I realized that I follow directions pretty well, and if I can do that, I can make soap. Also, I thought about the lye, and realized it was used as a household product for decades and, while I should be careful I can handle the cautions.

I bought books and read them all 10 times.

What I suggest is this:

Clear a few hours for the first batch. No phone calls, no interruptions. No pets or kids roaming thru your work area. If that means you do it in the middle of the night, do it then. Have all of your ingredients laid out before you start and have your mold lined and ready to go. Have a few extra wooden spoons handy. Have a dish tub or bucket filled with warm soapy water for untensils and a clean/empty sink. Have a full roll of paper towels and a wastebasket empty.

When you are all done, soap is in the mold, dishes are set aside and ready to wash, wipe down everything and mop the floor. Lye sometimes will float.

Like the others said, after you have done a few batches you will wonder why you waited so long. I did!

I still only do melt and pour.  I don't have the room or the time to set aside to mess with lye right now.  Maybe when my kids (12, 10 , 6) are a little older.  I homeschool so they're always here and I have a very small workspace.  I'm happy with the melt and pour though. :)  It's fun!

I still only do melt and pour. 

This is still so much better than commercial soap. I make all kinds of soap, including melt and pour, and there is such a difference. A good MP base blows away any commercial soap in my opinion.

Edited by Noodle

This is still so much better than commercial soap. I make all kinds of soap, including melt and pour, and there is such a difference. A good MP base blows away any commercial soap in my opinion.

Yes I totally agree with you!  I gave some to my boyfriend (now EX boyfriend)  last year for his birthday and he called and was like this is the best soap EVER!   The ingredients are still amazing.

Guest OldGlory

Melt and pour is glycerin rich base. Glycerin is a humectant, which draws moisture to the skin. It's also why it "sweats". That's the good stuff!

Commercially made soap goes through what is called a "continuous process" during which glycerin is extracted - because there is a market for glycerin, they can make money on it. Now, I don't know how much or if all the glycerin is extracted, but this explains 1) why commercially made soap is drying, 2) why commercial soap makers do it.

That glycerin that they extract from the soap goes into their body lotions and creams so you have to buy both the soap and the body lotion. Sneaky huh?!!

I agree M&P can make some fabulous soap. Before I started making CP I was making M&P. I loved it and still do.  Its much better than any commercial soap you can buy.

Ok I have to learn how to make soap... I want theses results. I purchased the supplies and they have been here for a year ...I'm just gonna do it..I'm gonna stop being scared

It is a wonderful process that is like no other! :) Making soap out of such luxurious ingredients is and will be such a treat for you and your customers.  Go for it and this time next year when Candybee asks the same question...you will be the one encouraging those that are hesitant. :) Fear it no longer ...you WILL do just fine...scoot everything and everyone out of your soap making area, have peace and quiet while follow your recipe precisely, be respectful of the lye and you will do beautifully....think of this....how many THOUSANDS of soap makers are out there right now...come join us! :)