Cinnamon safe to use on skin?

Darbla

I used to use SGS (now Pure Fragrance Oils) soap safe Cinnamon in my soap. It and Soapalooza's soap safe cinnamon were both discontinued recently at about the same time. I have not found another one so far. Only fruity blends with cinnamon notes like peach or apple not straight cinnamon. At least none listed as soap or skin safe.

Sweetcakes has a good cinnamon to use in soap.

I wish they posted IFRA certs :( skin safe does not mean at all levels.

NG had a cinnamon that was listed as skin safe, but at ridiculously low levels in soap, like .05%. Wave it over the soap pot and you're at the limit.

Guest OldGlory

You really have to be careful with cinnamons because some people are sensitive at any amount. Some people can tolerate cinnamon - I'm one of those people who can tolerate it and love it in soap.

Rather than an FO, I would choose cinnamon LEAF EO in soap, one that has been water or steam distilled. I have checked all of my resources and no information is given on the amount to use in soap. I would test dilution rates around 1% and adjust from there.

Not a straight cinnamon, but soapsupplies.net has a pumpkin spice that smells very cinnamony to me. It sticks like crazy and Since I can't smell the pumpkin, I call it "Spiced". My best seller last winter! Oh, and I have had no reports of skin sensitivity from customers.

Edited by ktaggard

I have never had any issues using cinnamon in soap. It is always the leave on product like a lotion that is where the sensitivity is a big issue. I always sell cinnamon soap and have never had a single complaint. I am careful with the amount of FO used and  I always let the customers know that the spice content could irritate sensitive skin.  I often mix FO with a bit of EO and I achieve great results.

• 2 years later...

I did a search for "skin safe cinnamon", and this was the most recent thread that came up.

Just thought I'd mention that I stumbled across one that looks good if y'all want more options for a skin safe cinnamon. WSP has "Cinnamon" that is safe to almost 5% in soaps, "Cinnamon Stick" that is close to that as well, "Cinnamon Candies" that is over 3%, and "Orange, Cinnamon, Clove" that is also in a decent range. Happy soaping!

• Like 1