Website platform

flair

Do you guys have a website platform that you like(ecommerce shopping cart) and would like to share?  I already purchased my domain name and I am looking for a website building tool that you personally know and recommend.  What about post your website too.... 

Hi, I'm Carrie from Create A Shoppe. We offer a basic and advanced website builder. Both are packed with features to help you get your site up and running and selling online in no time. Check out some of the sites built with our program: http://www.createashoppeplus.com/gallery/

Let me know if you have any question or concerns :)

My website has been up for a few months now. I used Big Commerce. It was easy to use, for the most part. I did have to use photoshop a few times to get logo and crop photos how I liked them. I would recommend them. They cost about $25 - $30 a month for the basic package. This comes with web hosting and an e-commerce store. That is about the going rate for a website with store/cart. My new website: Http://ellascents.com - if you want to take a look. I just used one of the free templates.

Edited by ktaggard

Guest OldGlory

I think that answer is different for everyone. Some people prefer a website, some people like doing shows, some people sell directly to friends. Who do you want your customer to be?

Guest OldGlory

Hi Carrie,

I am glad to see that you are willing to give us some information about the potential results a person could have just by having a $40 a month website.

Obviously, someone new to candlemaking isn't going to have the ability to PRODUCE $100,000. worth of candles/whatever per month, so maybe that figure wouldn't apply in this situation (Flair's original question about websites). To do that amount of candle business per month would require $100,000 up front in supplies, plus warehouses and factories and hundreds of employees. Maybe that just isn't such a good example for us here on this message board, lol. Right?

But since you are sharing, I would just love to know a ballpark figure for someone who is MAKING CANDLES PARTTIME, based on results you actually see, as an adjunct to a full time job (again, re: Flair). I think we should be specific to our genre of crafting. Thanks in advance for this information!

I've sold online before (though not as a candlemaker--I did sell scented products and bath/body products that I made, and other items), both part time and full time. My suggestion to anyone wanting to sell online is to test the waters first. You can sell from a blog, and a blog is totally free. You can open a free store via Squareup dot com. That is a fairly new service they offer, as they used to only process credit card payments, and initially they only did that via a smartphone app. You can also sell via Etsy, of course, and only pay their fees; their fees do add up over time, but it may be a good option for you if you're just starting out or not doing a large volume of products/sales. You can also set up a Facebook page for your business and sell that way. Many people do that now since it's free. FB makes it harder for posts by Pages to get seen anymore (unless you buy ads, that is), but it's still a good way to get started if you have a tight budget and can't afford a full eCommerce store.

Once you've established your store, your products, and a strong customer base and sales, then you can switch to a fully hosted eCommerce store that will meet your needs, and your budget. :)

Edited by ArtChick
  • Like 3

Hi guys, hopefully this info will be help to you all.

Answers to your questions OldGlory are in red below :)

Obviously, someone new to candlemaking isn't going to have the ability to PRODUCE $100,000. worth of candles/whatever per month, so maybe that figure wouldn't apply in this situation (Flair's original question about websites). To do that amount of candle business per month would require $100,000 up front in supplies, plus warehouses and factories and hundreds of employees. Maybe that just isn't such a good example for us here on this message board, lol. Right?

Flairs question was: Do most of u guys get enough business from your website o justify the cost etc? Do u do more from retail locations fairs or websites? Flair is asking about website cost not about overall business costs. Flair didn't ask about supplies or employees, etc. Flair is asking if the cost of a website is worth it. Flair could sell over $100,000 a month with a $40 a month website plan if he/she wants to do that and that would surely be worth it. He/She could also sell only $5 a month with the same plan. That is up to the website owner. If you work at it and promote your site the sky is the limit.

But since you are sharing, I would just love to know a ballpark figure for someone who is MAKING CANDLES PARTTIME, based on results you actually see, as an adjunct to a full time job (again, re: Flair). I think we should be specific to our genre of crafting. Thanks in advance for this information!

You are misreading or misunderstanding this thread. Flair didn't ask what a person making candles could make. Flair asked if the cost of a website is worth it and my reply was that it can be. If you build a website and then sit and wait for sales you may never make a penny and in that case you would NOT be able to justify the cost of the website.. if you promote your website, advertise, and keep up with it then there is no ballpark figure for what a website can make.... because there is no limit to what it could make!! So a $40 a month payment could absolutely be worth it.

Edited by createashoppe
  • Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Oh I'm so glad you responded!

I guess because I have been keeping up with Flair's other posts it was apparent that he is relatively new to the craft. It is unrealistic to suggest that a newcomer to the business with a full time job would do $100,000 a month worth of candle business at this stage, lol.

I think perhaps you are not taking things in context - but, hey, that's ok. Not everyone stays on top of the posts like I do.

So now, I would like to know what other part time candlemakers are making on their websites! That is very pertinent information for many of the users of this message board!

My website has been up for a few months now. I used Big Commerce. It was easy to use, for the most part. I did have to use photoshop a few times to get logo and crop photos how I liked them. I would recommend them. They cost about $25 - $30 a month for the basic package. This comes with web hosting and an e-commerce store. That is about the going rate for a website with store/cart. My new website: Http://ellascents.com - if you want to take a look. I just used one of the free templates.

Hi Ktaggard

I wanted to compliment you on an absolutely very upscale, classy, and professional beautiful website you created.  Very impressive, stunning photography, very clean and very easy to navigate around.  If you don't mind me asking, but is your site a 25 to 30.00 a month package?

Trappeur :thumbsup2:

What Trappeur said Ktaggard - Beautiful website. I wish mine was as nice, but alas - it is what it is. 

Because I don't have time to promote and I don't spend much time updating my site, obviously I don't get much business there. I mostly use it to show people what I have and the scents I carry. I really need to spend the time to update it more often, but bleh - that's part of the business structure that alludes me and because it's not something that I can naturally pick up on, and it takes effort and work, it gets put to the back burner. 

I've had different variations of my website now for 15 years - and lucky if I get a couple sales a month directly on my site. However, like I said, I don't promote it like I should. 

I do make enough revenue elsewhere and can see I get a lot of traffic on my site, so from the other sales (which are probably partially driven from my site) it is worth it to me to keep it. 

Thanks for the feedback and Yes, that Is a $29 pr month site. Big Commerce had website templates you could purchase from $100 to $500 - but I just used a free one and it turned out fine, IMO. We all know we don't need to spend extra. :)

I have only had a few website orders, thus far, but I have had a lot of indirect sales from it. I also just got into a craft show that was full. After I sent her to my website, she found a spot for me in the show. Kinda cool. So far my website has been worth it.

Guest OldGlory

Congrats ktaggard, and very nice site!

And I appreciate your honesty about the website. I think it's better in the long run to know what really happens with websites like yours rather than to have unrealistic expectations. It can be so easy to get carried away with the fabulous products we all make and heaven knows we should all be making a lot more than we are.

May I ask a few questions about your BigCommerce site? Do you keyword tag your products and receive SEO and traffic detail? Basic analytics?

Is your shipping only through PayPal or can you connect to Endicia or Stamps.com?

Do your customers get auto emails such as order confirmation or do they only receive PayPal receipt?

I have researched sites and thought of moving away from Etsy. I am spoiled there as I get all of the things I mentioned so want to make certain my move would keep me at parity or better.

I sell MUCH more each month than I did before having a site/online store. I opened my store in January. It started slow but I now get a couple of hundred views every day. I wish my orders each day were equal to my views! HA! I work FT outside of my home so I get as many orders each week as I can currently manage.  I love looking over my stats and seeing from where traffic has come, which keyword on which they are searching and of course my revenue stats!!

Thank you for your insight on your experience!

• Like 1

I've had my own website in the past and it was nothing compared to the sales I get through Etsy.  I'm happy there for now and don't have plans to leave anytime soon.  Maybe someday I'll have my own site but I like not having to do the maintenance and am able to concentrate on making things and just adding them to the shop.

I do one big show in the year but would like to add more shows.  They seem to be the thing that I need to have the kind of income I'd like to have.  They're a lot of work and being a single mom, I have to find people to watch my kids during them.  My kids are easy though. :)

Edited by SuzyK

I've had my own website in the past and it was nothing compared to the sales I get through Etsy.  I'm happy there for now and don't have plans to leave anytime soon.  Maybe someday I'll have my own site but I like not having to do the maintenance and am able to concentrate on making things and just adding them to the shop.

I do one big show in the year but would like to add more shows.  They seem to be the thing that I need to have the kind of income I'd like to have.  They're a lot of work and being a single mom, I have to find people to watch my kids during them.  My kids are easy though. :)

I have no real reason to move from Etsy so I am glad to see your response! I do wish I had a drop down for scent choices so they did not have to list them all in comments. I also only do one show. As you know, selling online I can make as much at home in my jammies with a bunch of Regional Rate A boxes and I do not have to cart all my product out, pack it all back up and put it all away again! Thanks!

p.s. Have you added the body creams to your shop yet??? I need lip balm (it is my MOST favorite!) and wanted to try one of the new butter/creams you told us about!

There is a drop down menu to add your scents :)   You can add variables and have them pick the scent.

Shows are so fun, but they're so much work. It's worth it but I need to be better and time management and all that.  I'd really like to do more shows.  It's also hard because I'm a single mom and always having to ask people to watch my kids is difficult for me even though most people enjoy having my kids around.

YES!  I did add the body butters to my shop. :)

Edited by SuzyK

I think the issue I had was that I could not list perhaps as many scents as I needed. Also, that many of my customers may order 30 Melt Cups but may want them in 30 different scents. I could list scents A-E as one listing and so on. Adjusting shipping on that was an issue since it made no sense that the melt cups were 3 for $5 yet shipping was $7. I will work on playing with some different options. I still chuckle that I offer 70 scents yet bloggers only complaint is the "tiny" size of my line. That is one thing about shows, people do not expect you to have as many scent choices. 

I need to go check out your site!!

Oh yes. That makes sense.  They don't make it so you can choose 30 different ones that way.  I've been slowly adding all the fragrances I have available. It's a lot of work but that way I come up in searches more often.

I have over 100 scents available and people don't really say I don't have enough but I do get requests for ones I don't have.    I also don't take that many to shows but still get people asking for other scents that I may carry.