Website platform

flair

I hadn't seen that thread before Vicky.  I added mine. I get a little leery about sharing my site on here since I had someone from this site order and copy me but I added it anyway. :)

I, too have been leery to share as much after your experience. The person who replicated your store and products was on this board. 

Oh, Justa - wanted to tell you that on Big Commerece, you can use your domain directly as your website. No redirecting.

Thanks for the info! 

I guess I have to ask..... why would you be concerned about sharing your website????  wouldn't you want to do that??? I guess I just not thinking like a crook or whatever... but I am working on my site now... why shouldn't I share it on this board??????

• Like 1

I guess I have to ask..... why would you be concerned about sharing your website????  wouldn't you want to do that??? I guess I just not thinking like a crook or whatever... but I am working on my site now... why shouldn't I share it on this board??????

I had someone from this board order from me last year and then copy my label design exactly.  She admitted to copying and didn't care.  It was a mess. She has since changed her label but it made me very cautious about sharing my business info on here. I'm still very watchful of that situation.

I had someone from this board order from me last year and then copy my label design exactly.  She admitted to copying and didn't care.  It was a mess. She has since changed her label but it made me very cautious about sharing my business info on here. I'm still very watchful of that situation.

I am sorry another member did that. But that can happen anywhere anytime. Your local completion can do it. I do not know how many times we have had member come here and say a local soap or candle maker copied their product and asked what can be done.

I am sorry another member did that. But that can happen anywhere anytime. Your local completion can do it. I do not know how many times we have had member come here and say a local soap or candle maker copied their product and asked what can be done.

Oh yes, I totally understand that.  It stinks that people will do unethical things like that. It was a first for me and the situation was just jaw dropping.  I love being here and I've learned so much and I enjoy being help others be successful without giving away too much. ;)  It's taken a long time to feel comfortable posting again since I know she still comes here.   I continue to work hard and run my business. I've seen HUGE amounts of growth this year and I am so thankful to be doing what I do.

• Like 1

It was more than product, it was direct lifts of copy you wrote yourself. Each Etsy shop is customized by each shop owner. There are no templated return policies, About pages and the like. Each seller writes them appropriate for themselves and reflective of their brand. Having that picked up and used like it was just a prewritten section to use at will bothered me as much.

You are certainly correct. I think it is getting easier and easier to use other's online materials since they can simply be copied and pasted. I paid for my logo to be drawn and cover images and banners to be built. As you can imagine, I would not appreciate someone helping themselves to that like it is free clipart. To copy anyone's work, anywhere is wrong. I am glad the majority seems to understand that. My competition is anyone who sells-locally and online-since I sell nationwide. My local business, and competition is small by comparison to online.

I am adding some goodies to my shop later today as well as adding my Winter Phase 1 scents to my scent list and will post a link to my shop on the appropriate thread.

I remain happy to help anyone who is setting up or considering and Etsy shop (just don't copy my stuff...haha!). I was kindly helped by a jewelry making friend and have helped others now to pay that forward. Anyone is welcome to ask me here or PM me.

Thanks!

Talked with my daughter yesterday about Etsy,.... she says it's the "rave" where she works.  A lot of the gals in her office use it and they're always sending links back and forth to each other to look at things to buy.   My daughter is 29.  The average age of her office staff is about 25... she says there's tons of people that use it.   

We took a look at the percentages...if we take the CC factor ou (since we use CC at both the store and at shows)t... we're down to about 7% expense, compared to our usual 5% for shows..  but with no time spent in packing, set up and working shows.. think we can justify the additional 2%. Gosh, time is so valuable, it's hard to put a price on it.  We were going to try a couple of new shows next year, but it is such a pain seeking out new shows that are profitable. We've been on the road since 1999 and it's taken us years to weed out good shows from poor, but have had a stable run for 8 years now. 

I'm going to start setting up an Etsy shop today. This past year I set up a new website and hadn't added a shopping cart yet...so we're going to link our site to the Etsy shop for online sales.  This might work out pretty well.  I'm excited about it... I'd much rather be at my boutique working and jabbering with my customers, than out at shows. 

Again,, thanks everyone for all your insight on new ways to market and sell merchandise.  I'm attending a class next month on internet marketing at St. Thomas College in Minneapolis... my plans are to continue on for 6 more classes to obtain my Internet Marketing certificate.  It's my 60th birthday present,,,,to me,,,from me.  :)  Will let you's know how that goes.   

Edited by SherriLynn
  • Like 2

Good luck SherriLynn!  If you have any questions about setting up on Etsy or anything, I'm very happy to help. :)

Yes Karen, I had forgotten she also copied some of my written stuff, which I believe she never changed but I changed mine.  And she also changed her business name to one almost like mine.

I am adding some goodies to my shop later today as well as adding my Winter Phase 1 scents to my scent list and will post a link to my shop on the appropriate thread.

I remain happy to help anyone who is setting up or considering and Etsy shop (just don't copy my stuff...haha!). I was kindly helped by a jewelry making friend and have helped others now to pay that forward. Anyone is welcome to ask me here or PM me.

Thanks!

Haha!  Yes, don't copy my stuff!  lol.  I don't mind helping either, but I have boundaries. :)   Good luck adding your products!

Guest OldGlory

I'm not sure who said "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery", and in a way is it, but it makes me want to shout GET A LIFE! The very definition of plagiarism is "to use the words or ideas of another person as though they were your own". I can't help but think Etsy has some sort of rule about plagiarism and if it doesn't it should.

They do have rules but it's a huge process to go through.   I was going to do it last year but it just wasn't worth it.   There is a ton of copyright infringement on there but Etsy has to get a letter from the license holder first before they can do anything. 

I posted a link to my Etsy shop in the member website thread as Vicky outlined.

SherriLynn-remember you can always shut your Etsy shop down, temporarily or otherwise if it does not work well for you. You will not have spends hundreds or thousands building it like a website.

Hope all goes well for you but you are already so successful, you are good either way!

p.s. Do not forget to hop on Pinterest and pin items from your Etsy shop. Your daughter and her friends should be well-versed on it's importance too as part of having an online retail and social media presence!!