Show results?

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

I know it's early, but I was wanting to ask how the craft show results are so far this fall? Anyone have comparison reports this year to last year? I keep hoping the economy will turn a corner!

The show I did this weekend (my first of the season) I havent' done in years, and don't remember how it compares, I know I used to do okay, and I did okay on Saturday as well. Of course I would have liked to do better, but I didn't do bad. I did well enough to sign up to do it again next year. I have a show almost every other weekend now until Christmas, so will let you know as the season progresses. 

The show I'm doing on the 25th this year, last year I did better than I've done at any show ever, and it was one of the smallest shows I've ever done - there were only I think maybe 12 vendors total at this location, it's is in a fellowship hall of a tiny Lutheran church, off on a side road. I hope I do well at it again this year. 

The show I did this weekend (my first of the season) I havent' done in years, and don't remember how it compares, I know I used to do okay, and I did okay on Saturday as well. Of course I would have liked to do better, but I didn't do bad. I did well enough to sign up to do it again next year. I have a show almost every other weekend now until Christmas, so will let you know as the season progresses. 

The show I'm doing on the 25th this year, last year I did better than I've done at any show ever, and it was one of the smallest shows I've ever done - there were only I think maybe 12 vendors total at this location, it's is in a fellowship hall of a tiny Lutheran church, off on a side road. I hope I do well at it again this year. 

Hope you sell out of everything! :)

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

You should check all the churches and jr or sr high schools around you. Hopefully some others from your area will chime in!

August Longest yard sale, it rained each day and sales were better this year compared to last.

We had our Fall festival this past Saturday, 120 vendors..25% increase in sales this year, sold most all the lotion (wish I had taken more), and sold out of several soaps, took a large variety. it was a scorcher last year, and temps were in mid 60's this time..definately more shoppers this time around. I'm sure hoping for all of us that the economy improves!

Thanks! Yes, got to be thankful for any increase! I was in a lot of pain from being on my feet all day, but it was well worth it! Reminds me that I need more knee surgery soon. Every step got to be excrutiating throbbing pain. We started setting up at 5:30 and couldn't break down until 4pm, and it was pretty much nonstop buyers left and right from 9-3. I've got several invites to upcoming events, Churches, schools that I'm going to look into, but usually don't skip out on my regularly Saturday market unless it is an event with lots of traffic.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Gosh Shar, I hate to hear that you're in pain. Being on your feet all day on concrete or asphalt is brutal. I hope you got to rest your weary body and ice down that knee as soon as you got home.

Guest OldGlory

That's a really good idea, Jcandle. I haven't done shows or markets in years, but an anti-fatigue mat is the best way to go.

Shar, do you use any sort of mats? I know it will probably not eliminate the pain, but they certainly help. I won't do shows without my foam/padded locking mats. It's just way too hard on the feet and knees.

Very good point!

I have some of those mats that lock together, and forgot to pack them..I bet I remember next time, because I really needed them on that asphault.

Gosh Shar, I hate to hear that you're in pain. Being on your feet all day on concrete or asphalt is brutal. I hope you got to rest your weary body and ice down that knee as soon as you got home.

I did, I've got a gel pad that you put in the freezer, or you can put it in the microwave and use as a heating pad. I wish I could find a good pain cream though. I turned in around 8:00 that evening, and slept like a baby,lol..

Shar, if you could ask your Dr. if you could take these two OTC meds. I receive a shot the day after chemo & it causes very bad bone pain. They have me taking 1 Claritin & 2 Aleves twice a day for 5 days after the shot. Not Claritin D just regular. They discovered while testing, that it works on the bone pain, also.

• Like 1

This is the 1st year in a long time I am not booked every weekend. I have a small show coming up this weekend followed by a larger show next weekend. I will compare my earnings from past years and let you know how it works out. I have noticed that sales have picked up overall this year but are still nothing like they were before the great recession.

Guest OldGlory

You know, craft sales are cyclical - meaning there is a resurgence of demand for them every so often, that peaks, then dies off and it's another period of time before it becomes a demand again. We are due for a resurgence soon. Hang on everyone! LOL

• 1 month later...
Guest OldGlory

Craft show results/comparisons, anyone? The economy seems to be picking up around here (not feeling it in my pocket, but the tourism numbers suggest that it is). I am hoping that we're poised for a demand for hand made products soon!

The 3 I have done so far have compared very nicely to last year's shows. The one I have left (in December) I'll have nothing to compare too because I haven't done this one in probably about 10 years. 

I went to one yesterday as a consumer and I honestly don't know how this lotion/body butter lady keeps her prices so low - and her product is AMAZING. I bought a 5oz body butter and a 2oz lotion. Separately they were $7 & $3 but because I bought them together she only charged me $8. (I gave her $10 anyway - knowing how good her stuff was and didn't want her to undercut herself) 

Anyway - that's neither here nor there, but just wanted to point out I go to this particular craft fair every year, and I typically don't buy much because it seems overpriced. This year the vendors all seemed very reasonable and I ended up buying more than I normally do because of it. 

Thinking of lowering my prices just a scoch for my December show just to see. 

IDK though... 

Not sure if the lady I bought from is part of this board or not. If she is her company is called "beehappy" and it's great stuff. :) 

That is a really low price for body butter.  My 4 oz jar is $9.  I'd love to charge more, that stuff is expensive and time consuming to make. I love it though!

I wouldn't lower your prices.   I know there are people who go to craft shows looking for a bargain and I just know those people aren't my target market.  OR they're looking for Scentsy and they're die hard fans even though I know mine are way way better.  There was a Scentsy rep at one I did a week ago and she had 3 or 4 warmers going and I couldn't smell them at all and I was near her.  I had forgotten to ask for electricity at that one.

I've done 2 shows so far and they haven't been great.  Very low attendance.  Though I've made money at both of them, it's almost not worth the time involved and having to find someone to watch my kids for the day. 

I have another one this Saturday.  I've done this one before and I did really well.   My last one for the season is the first weekend in December and that's a HUGE show.  I have a lot to do to get ready for that one still.

Guest OldGlory

Good luck to both of you on your next show! And thanks for the feedback. Maybe the economic improvement is spotty.

I quit doing shows more than 5 years ago, and things were just bleak at that time. The last 3 or 4 I did were a loss for me, but I do live in the land of too many candlemakers per square mile. All that competition and you see people selling a square mason jar candle for $4 just to outbid the other 5 people at the show with the same product. That is why I only wholesale at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Our shows this season have been GREAT!!  Sales are up... money seems to be flowing a little better.  HOWEVER,  some of the shows I've been to some of the vendors have not done well. 

One has to remember to change up products,,,change around the layout of your booth.. etc.  So customers have something new and fresh every year to look at. 

Good luck...:)