Customers trying to be slick!

Becky

How do you handle customers that are seeking specific answers to your candles?

For instance, I had a customer ask me where to get fragrance oils, and I told her there are many online suppliers and to look them up on the net. Then, point blank, she asks me, "Where do you buy yours from?" What would you say without coming across rude? How do you handle customers like this? (I played dumb and said my husband does all the ordering of supplies, and I had no idea...) Yeah, I wussed out but I was not prepared for such a blunt question....

Anyone deal with this?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was asked this twice yesterday. One woman's face looked surprised when I told her that between wax, oils, cups and other materials that I have about 12 suppliers. I told her that it was hard to narrow down as there are so many and each offers different things from which to choose. Clearly, she thought it simpler than that and moved on.

If pressed further, I would tell people that there are too many variables for me to make recommendation. This is also TRUE! While giving suggestions here, someone could follow my exact "recipe" and not have the results I do.

I also can be a bit too direct and would thank them, after giving that answer, and either sit down or start engaging someone else at my table.

Sounds like you handled it well, Becky. I've thrown my better half under the bus a few times, lol. There is an understanding there.

Nowadays, similar to what justajesuschick suggested, I will offer the fact that there are many suppliers to be found online with some research. If pursued further I will explain I've signed a non-disclosure agreement and cannot discuss trade secrets.

Take it to the next level for a clear conscious and simply write on a scrap piece of paper

"don't share our trade secrets" and sign it :cool2:

We've poured soywax candles as a business since 1999... when asked this question I smile and very cordially respond that I don't share my recipes, supply or trade show information AND that I'm sure they understand..... I throw the ball right back in their court. They don't ask me another question. :)

Edited by SherriLynn

If someone just asks the name of your supplier, I don't see the big deal in giving out the name of a supplier. Asking for your recipe is a different story. But as someone said above, you probably could give them the recipe and they wouldn't achieve the same results. Why are these people asking for suppliers and recipes?

I bypass this by telling them its my custom blend or a proprietary blend. If they press further, which at this point no one has, I would answer simply that I don't give out my recipes but you can find some great fragrance oils for candles on the internet.

That's pretty much my response. I say I blend my own wax and most of my fragrances are blended inhouse. I used to tell people I had a chemist friend in Dallas who did a lot of my fragrances for me (true: Taylored.)

Rarely does someone press further, but those few who did were then told all my brains were on my computer at home and I couldn't begin to even want to remember specific formulas.

I have no issues telling them who my supplier is...as I am proud to use an exclusive supplier for my all my fragrances. I do tell them that there are numerous suppliers out there and that through a year of testing various wax/wick/fo combinations is how I came to utilize the suppliers I do (unfortunately my fo supplier does not carry the wax or wicks that I need). I never divulge the specific recipes I use nor which blend of wax I use.

I believe a customer has a right to full disclosure. I say that as both a customer, and as a producer of items for others' consumption. If someone wants to try to copy me, I appreciate the flattery. But they may also very well just want to know what they're exposing themselves to. All of us as customers expect to know what is in a package of food; the same should go for craft products.

If you make a quality product with your unique artistry of design & composition, you should have no concern about imitation.

Edited by beaconterraone

I believe a customer has a right to full disclosure. I say that as both a customer, and as a producer of items for others' consumption. If someone wants to try to copy me, I appreciate the flattery. But they may also very well just want to know what they're exposing themselves to. All of us as customers expect to know what is in a package of food; the same should go for craft products.

If you make a quality product with your unique artistry of design & composition, you should have no concern about imitation.

I agree.

I tell them. My melts are made with wax and fragrance oil. Happy to share suppliers they could use to be helpful.

However, Kraft Foods does not tell me where they get their milk for cheese. I just know that they used milk to make the cheese. They do not give me the recipe and walk me through their process of making, show me their packaging distributor's information and the like.

I am not going to do that either.

There is a huge difference between disclosure of ingredients and who your suppliers are. If I have a soy wax candle I am selling I simply tell my customer that its a soy wax candle. I list my ingredients on the label but not where I get them from.

If you want to tell them who your supplier(s) is thats up to you.

I do not believe that customers have a right to full disclosure. Telling them it's soy wax( or whatever type of wax) and phthalate free fragrance is all they need to know. The rest of my products have the ingredients on them. It's not fun being copied nor is it flattering. It's frustrating and so disheartening. If they do ask (which is so stinking rude) I just tell them I don't give out that information.

lolol.

Full disclosure = (1) My own soy blend wax (2) Quality fragrance & essential oils (3) Candle dye if used & (4) Nice label with regulatory information. Anything more specific is on a need to know basis and no one other than me needs to know! Let's ask Yankee EXACTLY what & where they get their supplies & see the reply we get.......I'm sure it would be a big LOL!! :cool2:

Anything more specific is on a need to know basis and no one other than me needs to know!

This thread is amazing. It can easily be a study in effective marketing. Namely, the primary lesson is that chandlers who respect their customers by explaining what is in the product and where it comes from will have better sales for a comparable product. Wouldn't you, as a customer, choose disclosure or over non-disclosure?

Let's ask Yankee EXACTLY what & where they get their supplies & see the reply we get.......I'm sure it would be a big LOL!! :cool2:

I'd never have a Yankee in my house. Or a Partylite. Or anything else like them.

Are we trying to imitate the major corporate candlemakers, or are we trying to be something better?

Speaking for myself, as I/we expand into candles for others, I want to offer a high-quality, fully-trustworthy product, and, an experience they can appreciate. "Mystery" is for school lunch meat, not candles.

What harm is there to disclose composition and sourcing? "They'll copy me"? Doubtful. Especially if you have a great product at fair prices.

If they do ask (which is so stinking rude) I just tell them I don't give out that information.

I'm honestly mystified by this. How is it rude? Not everyone is asking in order to copy you; they're curious for edification, or possibly even health concerns. I'd bet not 1 out of 100 is actually trying to get intel on your "super-duper magic formula" to duplicate your product.

I just don't understand this thinking.

I'm honestly mystified by this. How is it rude? Not everyone is asking in order to copy you; they're curious for edification, or possibly even health concerns. I'd bet not 1 out of 100 is actually trying to get intel on your "super-duper magic formula" to duplicate your product.

I just don't understand this thinking.

When people question me about my suppliers, how do I make things, and where I get all of my products, I find it rude. I spend a lot of time gathering that information and not really willing to hand it out for free. I know some people don't understand my thinking and it's fine. This is how I make a living and I don't really have a lot of time to tell others all my info. I have all the information that's needed listed.

I haven't had a lot of people ask me more than "do you make all these?" I say yes and they're impressed. I've only had a handful of people dig and that's when I tell them I don't give out that information.

I have to add, it's different when it's on a board like this, information sharing is normal here. Though I have been copied big time recently and I'm a little more careful. I will share up to a certain point.

Edited by SuzyK

I think it's natural to be protective; I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours researching and developing various products because I want them to be the best. When someone comes up and starts prodding, would you just hand over those hours of your blood, sweat and tears?? Giving your full disclosure of everything you create in my opinion is foolish. I've seen new businesses open that are blatantly plagiarized down to the website and everything! Please don't be so naïve....

Maybe you haven't put in as many hours as some of us on here; I just don't understand your thinking.

I think it's natural to be protective; I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours researching and developing various products because I want them to be the best. When someone comes up and starts prodding, would you just hand over those hours of your blood, sweat and tears?? Giving your full disclosure of everything you create in my opinion is foolish. I've seen new businesses open that are blatantly plagiarized down to the website and everything! Please don't be so naïve....

Maybe you haven't put in as many hours as some of us on here; I just don't understand your thinking.

Agree with you. I cannot understand this "open book" idea. It may be ok for some, but not for others, and to question the thinking of those who do not like the idea of sharing details about their products is puzzling, to say the least.

I do share with forum members, but to a point; spent too much time and money on this expensive craft.

Beaconterraone, perhaps you do not mind telling customers where your supplies come from, how you craft your goods, etc. etc., but some of us (many, I'm sure) do mind. Perhaps you will see it differently down the road, can't say. The point is that, mystified or not, perhaps you may want to try to accept that it's a matter of personal and business preference. To each his/her own. I have had customers asking me if they can "come over and watch how you do it"...., yeah, sure! :wink2: The answer is, "My lab is off limits to all but me". Have not lost a single customer using that line.