I'm getting a retail shop

craftimade

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my keys yesterday. After washing the fall twice it's really red wood floor, in the photo it looks brown.

The back right wall has prong holders for my jewellery already so that's a bonus, but the back rooms have no nature light so they are dark and mouldy. Im just not going to use them, other then sealed storage.

Apart from that im getting my furniture moved in this week tuesday/wednesday.

I can see this could do very well for me, even yesterday (saturday) while I was cleaning the shop I had lots of foot traffic and people asking me what type of a shop I was opening. Everyone said they loved candles and I must have given away 50 business cards.

I will keep you posted. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Craftimade!! Yea!!!:yay: Your shop looks wonderful!! Good for you on the sales as you opened up for business!! Sending the very best of wishes to you as you begin your new venture!! Keep us posted on how everything is going!!:)

Edited by puma52

I have three good sized inter-connected shops that I would be very happy to swap for a shop like yours. I love the floors and the backroom. The store front window makes me drool thinking of what I could do with that.

It's very bright and alas that would be a slight concern, however. Make sure you at least consider adding UV inhibitor to your creations. Labels can be replaced, but candles . . . OUCH! You probably already know this, though.

My shop is dark. We use track lighting spotlights to focus on our products and displays. When we are closed there are no windows to let in sunlight. It's sort of bittersweet. I'd rather have to add the inhibitor!

The very best of luck to you as your store takes on it's identity. It's sort of like creating a wonderful painting. ENJOY the JOURNEY!

Dave

Really cool!!!!! It's great, I hope things will turn out so well for you that you will be able to have a permanent shop! I wish something like this could happen here. But italian State is like a vampire they wait for you to try to open a business then jump on you to take every single cent you earn. This way, no real help to economy.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a massive task to run your own shop. Personally im loving it, but it's 7 days a week job.

While im making people walk in and watch me and they really get behind the fact that my candles are made in the shop and not just imported from China etc.

They can also get a custom candle. Like Pink Sweet Lemongrass - for one of my clients. Also one of my clients wanted 7 floral scents in 1 jar. I have not do that before but it worked so well and she loved it.

So much that she asked for 2 more the same for her friends. Im called it "Seven Flowers".

Your shop is adorable! I hope your sales soar from that great news article. Like Dave mentioned, love, love, love your front window. You can do some seasonal and special sales stuff with that! Does the fireplace work or is it dismantled? (Pun intended). I know I would definitely take advantage of that in the cold winter months to make the shop more inviting!

The problem with the front windows is they are like mirrors from the outside. So when people walk past they can't see in they pretty much just see themselves walking - which is bad. Nothing I can do to fix this but im going to try a white display area to brighter it up and hopefully remove the reflection.

The fireplace is in a room right out the bad, it's completely burnt out room, floor boards are gone and found a dead rat their last week. Thankfully it's all sealed off from the rest of the shop. I also set up some traps just to see if their is anything crawling around when I leave. Traps and bait have not been touched so that is awesome news. I have heard mice and rats love wax, so it's great to know they are not getting in.

I will take some more photos tomorrow as the shop looks a little different now. More candles etc.