I'm so nervous about this big show! Any words of wisdom?

QTsmum

I am so, so, so, so nervous! This show is massive compared to what I've done! I mostly sold from my house, but did a show in a very small venue with about 30 vendors before. The crowd was super manageable and it was fantastic.

I got accepted to a large show that had a turnout of 2000 people last year with over 180 vendors. :shocked2: The table fee was over 100 times what I spend last time!!!

Now I'm worried about everything. I got mini business cards made (300 of them) when I was planning on doing the 2 local (smaller) shows. Now with this one, I'm thinking they will be gone!

Should I go to Staples and grab those 'print your own' business cards? Or is that cheap? Being in Canada, shipping takes awhile and I have under a month.

I have to make a banner too. I'm worried about my table set up. They provide a table. I have some little shelves that DH built, but I'm worried about laying my melts out with such a big crowd. I'm thinking I should make peg boards or get spinning racks... :confused: I really did enjoy having my melts on the table, it was so easy to engage with customers and encourage them to sniff ones they may not have, kwim?! I worry that having them up on spinners will discourage that.

I should do a practice set up in the basement and get some feedback from you ladies.

Is there anything else I'm missing???

I haven't felt this nervous about anything in a long, long time. :undecided

ETA: Do you have little cards where people can give you their email or anything? I've been reading the brochure that came with the acceptance into the show and it does suggest something of the sorts. I feel so lost. Maybe I shoud invest in one of those wine bras. LOL

Edited by QTsmum

I know exactly how you feel! I'm doing a big show on October 5th and I'm very nervous too. Thankfully, my best friend is doing it with me. I don't think I'm brave enough to ever do one on my own.

I wish I had some good advice for you but like you, I've only done small shows in the past.

I wish you great luck though! I'm sure you'll be fine.

Just a bit of advice. I'm no where a seasoned show seller but have done a few. I have a two sided pegboard spinner for my melts and it gives a nice professional feel to your booth. Im able to still engage my customers and most people take the melts right off and smell them. If I feel like they're hesitant I just let them know they are welcome to touch, open, and smell anything they'd like. HTH. Good luck!

Take a deep deep breath and all will be good:tongue2:

If you can't find a spinner rack, hit the thrift stores for the longer skinnier baskets. Take a clam shell melt with you to make sure that they fit.

You can do various scents in each basket just put index cards, (they stagger so you can see the scent names) between scents and add the scent name to the top. Also have a basket with one of each scent so that people can sniff and oohh and ahhh about how wonderful they smell, lol. Also Try to display them on a step shelf for the baskets. Its easy to do if you have heavy cardboard boxes...and cover with a nice cloth.

Or if your displaying the melts in the portion cups or made in the metal tart tins. You cook use large wide glass jars or plastic.....Just some ideas..

For your table cloth I would hit the fabric store in the clearance section and buy some fabric that is non wrinkling. I've spent maybe 8.00 at the most...I use a darker color on the bottom and and different color on top...If you want a color scheme, then you can do some matching, try and do only solid colors...Too busy a fabric takes away from your display. If its a fall display I would go in the fall warm colors..

What I like to do is set my display up at home, and when your display is exactly the way that you like. Take a picture with you so you can see where things should go, incase you forget..:P

I also like to have most of my displays filled with my stock. Like the wax melts in all the baskets they would be ready to go. My soap box display is filled. It makes setting up so much faster and easier. Price signs for your products, I print them from my computer..

If you need anymore more ideas just ask please..

I hope I helped out a wee bit.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Hugs Maggie

Edited by MaggieMay

I've only done a few shows, so here's my advice for what it's worth. Make sure you have a comfy place to sit or stand. My first few shows I set up a u shape booth with high grid walls - that covered every square inch of my space. I felt like a had no place to just hang back as customers approached. It became a little awkward. I found myself walking to neighboring booths to give people some space if they needed it. Now I make sure I have space behind my tables to sit and make visual contact with potential customers when needed. It is a little thing I did not think about before I started doing shows.

Also, I would order business cards online. They have become so cheap nowdays, almost cheaper then doing it yourself - plus they look better.

I ordered tableclothes online from a wedding/event tablecloth place. I got ones that went all the way to ground. I think they only cost my $18 a piece with shipping. Not too bad, but I know it all adds up.

Have fun. Sounds like you will do great.

You'll do awesome QTsmom! Have plenty of your best-sellers, take plenty of small change, take calculator, take beautiful gift bags and matching tissue paper (people WILL notice how beautiful your bags are and your business will have the look and feel of a high end business), smile, engage your customers, have a great time....and get a good nights sleep the night before...you will be so glad that you did!! Can't wait to hear all about it and wishing you the very best on your show!! Make lots of money!! :)

Edited by puma52

+100 on your table covering reaching the floor. Almost nothing looks tackier than table covering hanging halfway down. Or worse, halfway down and crooked.

Uber years ago I did a show where the organizer provided the tables and coverings because they wanted total uniformity. They were a very dark blue. The result was beautiful. After than show, I went to Hancocks and bought a dark blue washable felt type fabric. Just a big piece that I could put on my table and go to the floor on both sides, front, and back. A dark color won't clash with anything and will make your glass and tin sparkle.

I carried that piece of fabric around for years and years and still use it.

I ended up buying a 6 and 8 foot spandex covering! I love the look! I got black and I want to make nice runners that will match my teal shelving! :). I figure with black, I can easily add a different runner according to season/mood!

I have bags otw, though didn't order tissue. I did get bright turquoise bags (I also have some left over red ones. Red & turquoise are in my label). I also got an extra 250 cards otw and a 72" banner custom with pics of my products! I hope it will look good!!! Staples in Canada had their cards and banners on for $20 which is awesome! I never buy things locally because its always so crazy in price so this was perfect timing!!!!

I ended up buying a 6 and 8 foot spandex covering! I love the look! I got black and I want to make nice runners that will match my teal shelving! :). I figure with black, I can easily add a different runner according to season/mood!

I have bags otw, though didn't order tissue. I did get bright turquoise bags (I also have some left over red ones. Red & turquoise are in my label). I also got an extra 250 cards otw and a 72" banner custom with pics of my products! I hope it will look good!!! Staples in Canada had their cards and banners on for $20 which is awesome! I never buy things locally because its always so crazy in price so this was perfect timing!!!!

Sounds to me like you are running good there QTsMum and getting things covered excellently!!! :) Take pictures will you? We want to see and hear all about it!! :)

Edited by puma52