Thoughts on palm....

LeahRB

Anyone make/sell palm tarts? Do you ever have anyone complain about it not melting well in their burners?... I really like this wax. It throws great and I love that it slides out of the bowl when it's cool. However, I had to buy a 40 watt bulb to get it to fully melt in my warmer. I'm just wondering if it's just my warmer. I'd really like to keep testing this wax.

Leah

Anyone make/sell palm tarts? Do you ever have anyone complain about it not melting well in their burners?... I really like this wax. It throws great and I love that it slides out of the bowl when it's cool. However, I had to buy a 40 watt bulb to get it to fully melt in my warmer. I'm just wondering if it's just my warmer. I'd really like to keep testing this wax.

Leah

I use feather palm and have been testing for the past year. Everything has worked out great. They throw amazing. I test with a tealight and a bulb warmer and have yet to come across them not melting except for when it's a crappy tealight. I do worry about other people having low wattage bulbs or etsy warmers. I have yet to test in an etsy warmer. I want to buy one but spending $30 on a warmer is crazy. I'm trying to get a line out for fall. I'm on my final round of testing everything again(3rd time around) to make sure I think everything is strong and throws well.

• Like 1

I didn't like how it erupts as the hot, molten bottom breaks through the hard, unmelted top crust on the second melt. My close encounters with the little wax volcanoes turned me back to softer alternatives for melts. It's a personal favorite in container candles though. That wax throws any scent you stick in it.

I didn't like how it erupts as the hot, molten bottom breaks through the hard, unmelted top crust on the second melt. My close encounters with the little wax volcanoes turned me back to softer alternatives for melts. It's a personal favorite in container candles though. That wax throws any scent you stick in it.

Yikes! I have not experienced this.

Yes it does. I use gb464 and feather palm. I tried the container palm mixed with soy also but as it hardens, it's "squeezes" the soy out and it puddles on top. Feather works perfectly for me.

I would love to try this but I don't want to have to start all over again.

What temps do you add fo and pour at?

For the melts I heat to 200, add the fragrance and pour just after stirring well. I don't take the pour temp so not sure about that. Its probably going to be around 195. So far, I've had no issue with warping the clamshells. It only did that when I heating to 210 so I dropped the temp a bit especially since I was adding the soy also.

• Like 1

Now you have me curious about palm as well. For the feather palm users that have also made all paraffin tarts, do you find that the throw and longevity is better with palm? Currently I make tarts out of 4625 & 4630, but am testing 4627 in place of 4630 and both blends make a very good tart. Does palm create a longer lasting tart with better throw or is just cooperative with most FO's? Also, would adding some container wax to the feather palm help with the issues of the tarts not fulling melting in the lower wattage melters? And if so, would it be best to use a paraffin container or a palm container? I am not too concerned if the crystalizing is reduced or eliminated.

Thanks,

For the melts I heat to 200, add the fragrance and pour just after stirring well. I don't take the pour temp so not sure about that. Its probably going to be around 195. So far, I've had no issue with warping the clamshells. It only did that when I heating to 210 so I dropped the temp a bit especially since I was adding the soy also.

OH jeez I'm so tempted now to try this out. I am now paranoid that my palm won't melt in low watt bulbs. I hate to be a pest but do you have a pic of what yours look like, curious to see what the crystals look like. Thanks for all your info :0)

Thanks Kelly!

Now you have me curious about palm as well. For the feather palm users that have also made all paraffin tarts, do you find that the throw and longevity is better with palm? Currently I make tarts out of 4625 & 4630, but am testing 4627 in place of 4630 and both blends make a very good tart. Does palm create a longer lasting tart with better throw or is just cooperative with most FO's? Also, would adding some container wax to the feather palm help with the issues of the tarts not fulling melting in the lower wattage melters? And if so, would it be best to use a paraffin container or a palm container? I am not too concerned if the crystalizing is reduced or eliminated.Thanks Kelly!!

I think the throw is pretty terrific. In my opinion, I think it is has a little better ht with the right warmer. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I can't say they last any longer than other soy or paraffin blends since I haven't tried any of those. I like them because of the HT and they work with all FO's I've tried so far. Of course some FO's are lighter than others so that has a lot to do with it, also.

Here are the photos:

post-14020-139458512564_thumb.jpg

post-14020-139458512561_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Now you have me curious about palm as well. For the feather palm users that have also made all paraffin tarts, do you find that the throw and longevity is better with palm? Currently I make tarts out of 4625 & 4630, but am testing 4627 in place of 4630 and both blends make a very good tart. Does palm create a longer lasting tart with better throw or is just cooperative with most FO's? Also, would adding some container wax to the feather palm help with the issues of the tarts not fulling melting in the lower wattage melters? And if so, would it be best to use a paraffin container or a palm container? I am not too concerned if the crystalizing is reduced or eliminated.

Thanks,

This is only an opinion based on my experience; palm wax did not throw better or longer than the paraffins I use. I do use palm but mix it with paraffin; reason: a "different look", lol

When tried straight palm tarts, they wouldn't melt completely in the Sc--tsy warmers, especially those with a square bowl :sad2:

I'm using the feather palm from peak. It's melting point is 130(typical). So, it is melting good. I was just concerned because it is a harder wax. But, I haven't come across a fo that hasn't worked yet.

I use Peak's feather also. Are scenty's warmers really that crappy? I want to get one to test but even used on ebay nothing is less than $20.00. It's crazy I've seen them $50 and above. People really pay that much for a warmer?

• Like 1

I use Peak's feather also. Are scenty's warmers really that crappy? I want to get one to test but even used on ebay nothing is less than $20.00. It's crazy I've seen them $50 and above. People really pay that much for a warmer?

I have 3 Scentsy warmers and I love them. They melt all of my wax combos I have ever made and all wax that I have ever bought from other suppliers. Do NOT buy one with a square dish (any brand). The wax will get hung up in the corners. There are a few that I like from WM (BH&G brand) but my dishes did not fit as nicely as they do on my Scentsy warmers. I like a warmer that blends with my decor/home colors.

I have 3 Scentsy warmers and I love them. They melt all of my wax combos I have ever made and all wax that I have ever bought from other suppliers. Do NOT buy one with a square dish (any brand). The wax will get hung up in the corners. There are a few that I like from WM (BH&G brand) but my dishes did not fit as nicely as they do on my Scentsy warmers. I like a warmer that blends with my decor/home colors.

How much did you pay for them? I definitely do not like the square warmers they do get hung up in the corners with palm.

I only use palm for making my melts. I just fell in love with the throw. But I quit using pillar palms like feather palm and switched to crystal container palm or glass glow container palm for my melts. The container palm waxes stay hard just like a pillar wax but are soft enough to melt quickly and efficiently in a warmer.

Another thing I do is sell the good type electric plate w/bowl tart warmers. Not the bulb type. The bulb types just don't burn that well and sticking a 40 watt bulb in a 25 watt warmer can be dangerous. They just don't make them to use 40 watts so over time you have a ticking time bomb.

• Like 1

I only use palm for making my melts. I just fell in love with the throw. But I quit using pillar palms like feather palm and switched to crystal container palm or glass glow container palm for my melts. The container palm waxes stay hard just like a pillar wax but are soft enough to melt quickly and efficiently in a warmer.

Where do you buy your wax? Being a container wax, does it still slide out of the bowl?