Slightly Nervous

I've been doing craft shows for years now, but I was recently invited to do a show at one of the local elementary schools (third year, widely publicized, etc.). The show will be having things like avon, scentsy, and partylite, but I am the only hand made candles. There is another lady doing soaps, but she looks like mostly melt and pour, so I've got a bit of variety on her stuff from what I can tell. This show is coming up on the 23rd. I'm planning to have quite a few of my smaller type items as well as a few of the bigger things as well. Booth fee was not overly expensive, which was good. But getting a bit nervous since I don't know the people running the scentsy and partylite booths, and have heard how nasty some of the reps can be. Anyone able to give me any advice on what to expect in their booths? I am aiming to be competition here, but in my own way.

I will be working my floral soaps (pictures in the B&B gallery) as well as normal type stuff, and working in some of the florals into candles as well, which is interesting. And normal melts, votives, animal candles, etc. Am I missing anything that I should be bringing to make a good go in this sort of show? (My normal shows are juried, crafter only shows, btw.)

You should be excited and not nervous!

Have a great confidence in yourself and your great products and do not worry about the others.

I am friends with 3 people who happen to sell Scentsy. It is BIG in my area. One has been with them within the first year they started. She is a Super Director has has consultants in 9 countries. She lives in the next neighborhood and I get my warmers from her. I used to get wax from her. Now she knows I make my own and has no issue with it. All 3 are nice people, not pushy and would never think of being insulting.

There are really nice people in the world and jerky people in the world and some of each likely happen to sell Party-lite, Scentsy and maybe even make their own products.

You get to be the really nice person who makes a great product (and MONEY)!

I know what you mean about some of the posts about how mean the reps can be. So far I have not met one of these. They are just like everyone else, trying to make a buck selling their product. The difference is if you make your own you know all about it and about the ingredients you use. A rep doesn't make their own and has to depend on the info given them to sell. Soooo, don't worry. You are already ahead of the game.

The difference is if you make your own you know all about it and about the ingredients you use. A rep doesn't make their own and has to depend on the info given them to sell. Soooo, don't worry. You are already ahead of the game.

This is an OUTSTANDING point! You are a craftsperson. You make your products from raw ingredients. That is impressive. Selling something someone else has made and sharing what they told you about it is not nearly as remarkable.

The difference is if you make your own you know all about it and about the ingredients you use. A rep doesn't make their own and has to depend on the info given them to sell. Soooo, don't worry. You are already ahead of the game.

Excellent point! And it helps thinking of it that way, too. Thanks!

And thanks to the rest of you guys, too. It's easier knowing I'm not likely to meet up with someone willing to take a hatchet to my booth. ;)

Sounds like you have the upperhand! The other companies can only showcase their wares you can show how your are made! That single interactive element ( hands-on workshop or how to demo) would outshine any other show! Sounds fun.

Edited by rctfavr3

Maybe its my area but I have never had a problem with a Scentsy rep. They are just regular people as far as I can tell. I'm sure some are jerks but I've seen plenty of jerks selling at craft shows who have nothing to do with Scentsy.

Sounds awesome! I always do really well at shows with my wax melts. I've only done 1 show with a Scentsy person and had no problems with her. She was just a few booths down from me. Since Scentsy is a bigger name than me, her booth was pretty full most of the time but then people would see mine and get really excited. People were very impressed that I made them myself.

I think you will do great!! good luck! post pics when you're done and tell us how many millions you made. :)

Something I have seen at craft shows are the occasional vendor that brings a topic board or spiral bound notebook which contains photos of their work. This year I decided to try that out myself and bring a spiral notebook with photos and information about the soap making process. (I make soap of course.)

The reason I add this tip is I always see that these boards/notebooks always have someone reading through them and asking questions about the product. It seems to generate interest so I thought I would give it a try. A rep won't be able to show documentation of personal experience/expertise on how their product is made or list info on the process, ingredients, etc. All they may contribute is on the manufacturing process of their product. Big difference. Hands on experience trumps buying already manufactured product for resale.

Something to think about.

Edited by Candybee

Something I have seen at craft shows are the occasional vendor that brings a topic board or spiral bound notebook which contains photos of their work. This year I decided to try that out myself and bring a spiral notebook with photos and information about the soap making process. (I make soap of course.)

The reason I add this tip is I always see that these boards/notebooks always have someone reading through them and asking questions about the product. It seems to generate interest so I thought I would give it a try. A rep won't be able to show documentation of personal experience/expertise on how their product is made or list info on the process, ingredients, etc. All they may contribute is on the manufacturing process of their product. Big difference. Hands on experience trumps buying already manufactured product for resale.

Something to think about.

I decided to do this, too. Primarily because juried shows often require it and secondly, for the (few) times some smart Alec wanted to confront me and didnt believe I make all my own stuff.

I have gotten to the point I put blinders on and just pay attention to whats going on at my own booth. The others are usually quite friendly or the odd one you get walking by quite often looking at your booth lol. I just bring the best product for my customers I have and give them all my attention. I really like the idea of a book showing you making your product.