Those who pour in your kitchen. Do you use butcher or freezer paper?

I have a bedroom dedicated to all my hobby stuff but I make melts in my kitchen.

I am neater than I should be but it is just my nature. I am also clumsy. You see where I am going here!

I have been using Reynolds freezer paper to put down and clean up is so easy! It is way too wide and I found 15" freezer paper in a gigantic roll and now I found a smaller roll with a cutter. Was thinking of getting it to keep in my hobby room and rip off as much as I need each time.

What I have been using is freezer paper with a plastic coating. Nothing seeps through and after pouring I have a clean stove top again.

Do any of you use freezer or butcher paper on your work surface?

Here is what I was thinking of getting:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L84HXK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edited by justajesuschick

Newspaper. It's here already and I use it in the garden, but I take all the newsprint adds etc and use those. I don't like buying something that will be tossed. I get tons of newsprint adds as junk mail.

Also, the newspaper can be recycled if it isn't messy, or, if it has a lot of wax on it, it just gets burned with the paper trash.

I have to use the kitchen stove in the wintertime for my dipped tapers (the garage just gets too cold), and I use aluminum foil for it. It's easier to wrap the stove top with it. I take the burners and catch pans off, then line the entire thing, cut the holes back out for the burners and keep it there. And I'm not so worried about fire risk that way. On the floor I use rosin paper like you'd find at most paint stores. On counter tops I use freezer paper. As for it being too wide, you can turn it sideways and take off the length you need, then cut the rest if you need only half of the width, or something of the sort.

I melt in the kitchen. i have a full sheet cookie sheet i use. metal means i can scrape up drips/spills and recycle them. lip on the edge contains the occasional spill. The wife prefers when i clean the stove of cause of the wax splatters.

id like to say i dont either, but i make mostly votives, and sometimes i push that surface tension bubble on top just a FUZ to far... then it bursts like a damn and flows all over the place

Darn, I'm making votives today and I just tempted fate by saying I don't spill, now I better put something down. (Scrolls back up to see what people use).

No using the kitchen here. I have a soap/candle craft room with Formica counter tops. I used to put down the plastic reusable cutting sheets. I bought them at the dollar store in packs of 3. Soap washed off of them and wax could easily be scraped off of them. I don't use them too much anymore. Soap and wax come off the Formica really easily already. I have a section about a foot wide that runs the length of my cabinets that's bare concrete floor (the rest is carpeted to cushion me for long hours of standing). My melter spigot drips occasionally or I bobble, or over pour a clamshell. In that case a putty knife scrapes the wax right up. I have heard of folks using cheapo shower curtains to cover their work spaces, but I always envisioned myself getting tangled/tripped up in it somehow. Hey, I know my own propensity for clumsiness.

Guest OldGlory

I line my work area first with a large garbage bag, then use old newspapers, ads, etc on top. But I'm moving my workspace into a spare bedroom soon!

I don't put anything down on my counter. I have granite and keep a razor blade handy to scrape up any little drips.

Editing to say I don't use my stove and would never use a razor blade there as it would scratch the stainless steel. I use a Presto Pot to melt my wax.

Edited by nmhoneybear

Thanks, everyone!

I am a neat freak. I line the stove and counter tops on either side with freezer paper and then my Presto sits on top on a silicone pot holder so that it does not slip. My ladle and stir spoon are to the right of it. To the left of it sits my scale and a paper plate that I move my pour pot to sit for stirring. To the left of that is a cookie sheet with either my mold or cups on for pouring.

Clean up is simple and quick! My floors are a waxed hard wood but my freezer paper overhangs and I have not yet spilled much on the floor. My wax is naked if I do so I just wipe up and buff in!

I work on my kitchen island. I bought a cheap table cloth from the dollar store that has a plastic coating on one side and just lay that out over the island to catch any spills. It is cheap so I can throw it away if it gets too messy. I use a presto pot to melt my wax in and I set my ladle on a piece of wax paper. When the wax paper collects enough wax drips I pop it in the freezer, peel off the wax and drop it back in the presto.

i also found the heat gun i use to finish the tops of my votives is great for melting little splatters on the stove and then suck them up with paper towel. my stove top is old porcelain covered steel so easy cleanup with rasorblade

Two great ideas! Thanks, I was trying to figure out how to cover my island cheaply & efficiently. Can't stand touching newspaper.

I work on my kitchen island. I bought a cheap table cloth from the dollar store that has a plastic coating on one side and just lay that out over the island to catch any spills. It is cheap so I can throw it away if it gets too messy. I use a presto pot to melt my wax in and I set my ladle on a piece of wax paper. When the wax paper collects enough wax drips I pop it in the freezer, peel off the wax and drop it back in the presto.

I know I'm messy/ accident prone lol....I have a bunch of drop cloths from when I do Faux finishing jobs..I use the old ones to cover the whole kitchen table/floor..Then I also use those cheapie table cloths, cut up to fit the area I'm at... If I know I'm definitely going to make a big mess then I also top that little area with freezer paper....I also keep a little cookie sheet to lay all my waxed covered utensils pots on while I'm working.... And I use those little pampered chef scrapers for anything that gets on the floor/cabinets...They are plastic, don't scratch and work great.

hmmm, I just noticed...::: hands on hips...chest all puffed out::...I....:: pause::... Am an I Enigma. (lol)

Edited by Ivy

I just wipe the stove off with a old wet soapy dish rag while the stove is still warm the wax is soft and comes right up only tiny splatters. I set my containers / molds in a cardboard box that is flat with short short sides that I get from the grocery store I go to. If and when the box gets over spills which isn't to often I usally burn it in my fireplace to start a fire or throw away. I am very blessed to have a daughter that can get use baby wipe material from the end bolts that is discarded were she works for free, I cut them up about the size of a small dish towel to use for wipe ups also. Don't know what I will use if she ever quits or they move out. I am usually pretty tidy. LOL!!!!