Christmas Expo and Sentsy

So, I sat a booth for Century 21, with a co-worker, in the town our office is located today. Sentsy gal was there. She was located kinda caddy corner to our table. Am I even spelling Sentsy right? Is it Scentsy? No matter

Anyway...They do have the cutest warmers. I admit it...I was smitten with a few of them. While sitting there at our table, minding my own business being bored *who wants to come to the real estate table?* Her husband came over and started asking us if we ever thought of giving out scentsy to our customers at settlement. He was going on and on about how his wife got his sister doing it...and she gives to all her customers now and has quite a following. I ended up cutting him off, in a nice way and said that I did love their warmers...then I pointed to the century 21 large soup mug that I had a pumpkin cornbread candle poured in and burning....and said that I make candles and soap ;). I can't believe he did not smell my candle burning. It's a 3 wicker and it had a great throw!

Think I scared him away. I decided an hour later to go over and check them out. I could literally smell my candle over at their table...but I could not smell any of their stuff that was burning. Not one single bit! She had a bunch of burners lit up and going...but nada...nothing.

I decided to pick up 3 of their "bricks". Just as a comparison. I really had to dig thru her basket to find anything I liked. It took me a long time LOL. I ended up getting:

oats and honey

festival of trees

autumn sunset

Cold throw...not all that impressed. They all smell like oils I have, that are way better.

I'm going to try them in a burner tomorrow. I just have to see what the fuss is about.

They were really trying to convince me to purchase for settlement gifts. Kind of a little pushy actually, but guess that's expected. I'm not much of a "sales person". I don't/won't talk anyone into buying a thing lol. I will do whatever I can to "help" a person if they wish to buy...but I certainly don't push things FOR them to buy if that makes sense.

I did drool over a few burners in the catalog. I really like the outdoorsy moose burner. But I just couldn't bring myself to buy from them.

Their burners are pretty, and only have a 25 watt bulb. Someone told me her sister put a 60 watt bulb in her Scentsy warmer and it burned the inside all black and melted the wires, so she's lucky she didn't burn her house down. I use a BH&G warmer from Walmart with a 40 watt bulb, and they have some really cute ones; but the Scentsy warmers are the prettiest I've seen so far.

Anyhoo, just by coincidence, I'm burning my first Scentsy tarts tonight too! I wanted to try them for comparison. Their sugar cookie is very good and strong. To me it just smells like a baking yellow cake, which is my fave anyway.

My cousin says her Scentsy tarts are strong for about 24 hours, then she gets another day or two of light HT out of them.

Hi Debbie. Great info... I actually purchased a Scentsy [urgh] warmer to test my tarts.

Anyway, I have had a LOT of conversions... customers that have Scentsy warmers but use my tarts. Sounds like the consensus is the same. Our soy tarts (I use a little beeswax) last long, smells better, and are generally a better product. From what I've heard Scentsy is REALLY strong for a short period of time, and then fades out.

My mom has used ONE of my tart petals (below. equivalent to 2 Scentsy cubes) in her plug in warmer for a month and it is still REALLY strong.

post-14487-139458505346_thumb.jpg

Scentsy is the best thing that ever happened around here! I couldn't give wax melts away before Scentsy started pushing those warmers on everybody. Now I can't keep them in stock. They do have the cutest warmers, though. I use Scentsy to my advantage by making sure customers know that my melts work in their warmers. Before Scentsy, most people around here didn't know what to do with melts. Thanks, Scentsy!

Scentsy has given us a lot of headaches because of their "marketing strategies " ( read : pushy , obnoxious, down right mean in some cases, sales reps)

They've spent millions marketing a rather inferior product IMO with some really cute warmers .

I've often wondered how much WE irk THEM by selling much better products, and much lower prices LOL

Guest OldGlory
Scentsy has given us a lot of headaches because of their "marketing strategies " ( read : pushy , obnoxious, down right mean in some cases, sales reps)

They've spent millions marketing a rather inferior product IMO with some really cute warmers .

I've often wondered how much WE irk THEM by selling much better products, and much lower prices LOL

I bet we really tick'em off, lol. Regardless, I believe anyone who makes tarts is benefitting from Scentsy marketing.

Regardless, I believe anyone who makes tarts is benefiting from Scentsy marketing.

This is true. I did not participate (beyond candles) in melting wax until I was introduced to Scentsy.

I like their warmers so I buy them. Scentsationals (BH&G at walmart) is as much, if not more, competition for the share given their price point. If I needed more warmers (I do not) I would/might buy theirs as well.

Before I made, I used their bars. Sugar Cookie, Apple Pie and a few others were really good.

Individual consultants at a craft show/in the same town might be quite bothered but the corporation is likely not moved much by the indie movement. So, for those of you that sell, I say enjoy the marketing and introduction they provide and then offer an even better product to their customers!

Edited by justajesuschick

I did a show yesterday and for the first time I encountered a Scentsy rep. The tart warmers were rally cute, I have to give it to them for that. So I started smelling the bars and they were ok, but I did settle on one called Silver Bells. So we got to talking and I told her I also make tarts and bars and she asked me if I wanted to trade one of my bars for one of hers, so I'm thinking perfect, since I wasn't going to pay for one and she would get a chance to try mine. It actually turned out to be a nice friendly exchange and we were at opposite ends of the show so all was good....lol I'm going to try her bar today!

Maybe its just my area but I've never had a rough time with any Scentsy rep at a show. They've all been fine to deal with. In fact, I was just invited by a Scentsy rep to set up a table at a home show she is planning. We haven't had Scentsy in this area for that long and its only been recently that the numbers have really increased.

This is true. I did not participate (beyond candles) in melting wax until I was introduced to Scentsy.

I like their warmers so I buy them. Scentsationals (BH&G at walmart) is as much, if not more, competition for the share given their price point. If I needed more warmers (I do not) I would/might buy theirs as well.

Before I made, I used their bars. Sugar Cookie, Apple Pie and a few others were really good.

Individual consultants at a craft show/in the same town might be quite bothered but the corporation is likely not moved much by the indie movement. So, for those of you that sell, I say enjoy the marketing and introduction they provide and then offer an even better product to their customers!

I burned the Sugar Cookie and the Apple Pie yesterday, the Hazelnut Latte overnight, and am doing Sugar Cookie right now.

I'm most impressed with the scent of the Hazelnut Latte; it smells like a blend of Peak's Cappuccino Hazelnut and CS Hazelnut Coffee, plus a touch of Cream Brulee. I burned it in the evening and overnight, and couldn't really smell it this morning, so I switched it with the Sugar Cookie.

The Sugar Cookie is great! It smells like baking yellow cake to me instead of specifically Sugar Cookie.

I'm not impressed with the Baked Apple Pie, but I like it.

Edited by HorsescentS

BTA- I know a month is just crazy! I do what I can do but I'll never have one do a month.

Btw- beaubien81- your petal melts are adorable! :-)

Thanks jackbenimble! It was quite the production to have them made in my logo, but definitely a LOT of lessons learned.

And I'm not exaggerating with a month. Not that it is CONSTANTLY on, but I'd say every other day. I wouldn't have believed it either until I went into her bathroom and smelled the scent and said, "Is that the SAME ONE?"

I love selling up against Scentsy reps. They cannot compete with me on price or quality. I always gain new Scentsy customers when I do a show. When a customer buys one of my melters, they get two free melts to go with it. Sometimes they may go buy a Scentsy warmer and then come to me for their melts. Once they try my melts, I have a 80 - 90% chance of keeping them as a customer.

beaubien...your melts are stunning!!! Great job!

I burned the autumn sunset one and the pine one. They were pretty strong...but gave me a headache. I had to shut them off, but I'm also using the 40 watt bulb in my burner. I like the pine. I don't know why I got such a headache from it. I ended up only burning for 2 hours..so will try again tomorrow.

Hi Debbie. Great info... I actually purchased a Scentsy [urgh] warmer to test my tarts.

Anyway, I have had a LOT of conversions... customers that have Scentsy warmers but use my tarts. Sounds like the consensus is the same. Our soy tarts (I use a little beeswax) last long, smells better, and are generally a better product. From what I've heard Scentsy is REALLY strong for a short period of time, and then fades out.

My mom has used ONE of my tart petals (below. equivalent to 2 Scentsy cubes) in her plug in warmer for a month and it is still REALLY strong.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25277[/ATTACH]

Love your tart petals. logo and box.

A month!! You have won the prize for the longest lasting tart.