How many duds vs winners when it comes to FO?

I've been pretty lucky.. But then I do a massive ton of research before I buy an FO .

Out of the 300 I had on the shelves, I probably used 180 at all times ( I was in four different states and all four of them sold totally different types of scents from each other)

I don't have my notes here, but out of everything I've ever tried ( well over 400 different scents for testing etc) I probably totally said NO to about 60. The rest were either maybe's, I'd use it in different products and not in others, and the rest were yes's. But again, it depended on what area I was putting it in.

I consider them a failure when they don't have HT, not because I don't care for the scent.

That is an EXCELLENT point! If I were judging in that fashion, many more would be winners.

I should have clarified that I am pleasing my nose only. I make for me. I am my WORST customer ever! haha!

JJC, How many more do you think would have passed based on cold/hot throw alone?

This is encouraging! I often times felt like I have some sort of candle curse, but I think I just don't give enough fragrance oils a try. I usually just get frustrated and switch waxes lol.

Edited by laurenscandlebakery

The point is right on that if I was making for others (to sell), I would have felt comfortable making MANY more based on quality and HT. I also would have branched out into categories I do not sample and test becasue I'd be making for a customer base rather than personal taste.

I need to make some updates to my chart (I made and tested some the last couple of nights) but would be happy to email if you want to PM me an email address to which to send.

Please note, though that I only buy and like categories such as spice, apple, pumpkin, fruit, vanillas and cleans. So a pretty narrow field. My descriptions span more descriptive, "smelled like fermented apples to me" to far less helpful comments such as "yuck". It is a spreadsheet for me so had I known I'd ever be sharing I'd have been better with my comments.

Don't worry, I'm only interested in which supplier has the most quality FOs!

The point is right on that if I was making for others (to sell), I would have felt comfortable making MANY more based on quality and HT. I also would have branched out into categories I do not sample and test becasue I'd be making for a customer base rather than personal taste.

I need to make some updates to my chart (I made and tested some the last couple of nights) but would be happy to email if you want to PM me an email address to which to send.

Please note, though that I only buy and like categories such as spice, apple, pumpkin, fruit, vanillas and cleans. So a pretty narrow field. My descriptions span more descriptive, "smelled like fermented apples to me" to far less helpful comments such as "yuck". It is a spreadsheet for me so had I known I'd ever be sharing I'd have been better with my comments.

I have a spreadsheet that sounds just like the one justajesuschick described. I have over 300 FO tested on it, and really only like about 10% of them. I have comments like "yuck", "made want to hurl", headache...or "keeper" ,"love"... I do have other useful comments on there, but have a notebook for detaied notes.

Anyway, I am finding scent choice to be so subjective. I had a tester tell me the other day that "mistletoe" from CS was "horrifying". I was shocked. Such a strong word. Everyone else that has tried it has loved it. Crazy. You just never know.

I have quite a few samples still waiting to be poured from my "it's on sale" buying frenzy this year. So far I have about 10% that I will never buy again, they are just too vile. I have about 50% that I have tested that do well with the cold and hot throw, wicks work, but they are not something I would burn regularly. The last 40%-ish are scents that I love, they throw well and I will continue to burn on a regular basis.

Just because I don't like them doesn't mean someone else won't. That is something I have learned by reading on here. :)

60% at this point. But that wasn't always the case. I'm starting to see the value in having scents replicated for one, as I'm saving money ordering it all from one supplier. The dud to winner ratio is getting better. I make most of my FOs from other FOs blended together, but now that I'm having them replicated, I'm getting a better winning streak. The problem with my system is the flaw in allowing my customers to request custom scents. I offer to make fragrances for them if it's an unusual scent, which in turn requires more FOs to try, but I make back the money and a new customer in the process. It's just always difficult finding winners amongst the sea of "weak FOs".

So many duds out there...

As an example, here are my notes from mt latest order of samples from Candle Science:

Mistletoe: Strong, sharp, pine-like fragrance with a dry-herbal undertone. Not actually unpleasant, but smells very artificial. Do not use.

Rose: Pungent, slightly perfume-y rose petal scent (no green notes) with an unpleasant musty note on drydown. Do not use.

Golden Rose: Pleasant, generic floral scent with a sharp green note that becomes more pronounced on the drydown. No discernible rose note. Maybe use as a mixer.

Mediterranean Fig: Neither sweet not earthy. More... soapy. Unpleasant. Do not use.

Lemon Verbena: Strong lemon smell--more like lemon juice than lemon oil. Verbena is completely lost. Maybe use as a blender, but overall: disappointing.

Asian Amber: Strong, damp-herbal base note. To paraphrase Douglas Adams: "Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike amber." Do not use.

Christmas Tree: Faint, spicy, and artificial-smelling. Do not use.

White Tea and Berries: Warm, rich scent that has an interesting interplay between savory and sweet notes. Nice, but probably wouldn't stand well on its own. Maybe use as a blender.

Fig Tree: Ozone and laundry detergent. Ick. Do not use.

Dragon's Blood: A dirty blend of sour notes and cloying incense. Makes me feel slightly ill. Do not use.

Oakmoss and Amber: Smells completely unlike either oakmoss or amber. Do not use.

Pine Cones: A very Christmas-specific warm, spicy, vaguely pine-y smell. Not awful, but since I don't do holiday scents: Do not use.

Lavender Chamomile: Mostly chamomile with very little (almost none at all) lavender, but a nice, natural-smelling dry herbal scent. Possibly use.

Cypress and Berrries: A surprise in that I wasn't expecting to like this at all, but did. Cool, cypress note that avoids being overly sharp, with a slightly tangy (but not sweet) edge from the berries. Needs a warm/earthy note to balance it out, but overall: nice. Possibly use.

I have a bunch of past samples from Candle Science, and my hit rate has been about the same. Like I said, I'm picky.

As an example, here are my notes from mt latest order of samples from Candle Science:

Mistletoe: Strong, sharp, pine-like fragrance with a dry-herbal undertone. Not actually unpleasant, but smells very artificial. Do not use.

Rose: Pungent, slightly perfume-y rose petal scent (no green notes) with an unpleasant musty note on drydown. Do not use.

Golden Rose: Pleasant, generic floral scent with a sharp green note that becomes more pronounced on the drydown. No discernible rose note. Maybe use as a mixer.

Mediterranean Fig: Neither sweet not earthy. More... soapy. Unpleasant. Do not use.

Lemon Verbena: Strong lemon smell--more like lemon juice than lemon oil. Verbena is completely lost. Maybe use as a blender, but overall: disappointing.

Asian Amber: Strong, damp-herbal base note. To paraphrase Douglas Adams: "Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike amber." Do not use.

Christmas Tree: Faint, spicy, and artificial-smelling. Do not use.

White Tea and Berries: Warm, rich scent that has an interesting interplay between savory and sweet notes. Nice, but probably wouldn't stand well on its own. Maybe use as a blender.

Fig Tree: Ozone and laundry detergent. Ick. Do not use.

Dragon's Blood: A dirty blend of sour notes and cloying incense. Makes me feel slightly ill. Do not use.

Oakmoss and Amber: Smells completely unlike either oakmoss or amber. Do not use.

Pine Cones: A very Christmas-specific warm, spicy, vaguely pine-y smell. Not awful, but since I don't do holiday scents: Do not use.

Lavender Chamomile: Mostly chamomile with very little (almost none at all) lavender, but a nice, natural-smelling dry herbal scent. Possibly use.

Cypress and Berrries: A surprise in that I wasn't expecting to like this at all, but did. Cool, cypress note that avoids being overly sharp, with a slightly tangy (but not sweet) edge from the berries. Needs a warm/earthy note to balance it out, but overall: nice. Possibly use.

I have a bunch of past samples from Candle Science, and my hit rate has been about the same. Like I said, I'm picky.

Dragon's Blood is one of my favorites. Which supplier did you use? Or do you loath DB. It's a odd duck for sure but I like it.