Wooden wick flame huge?

I bought some wood wicks recently and tested them out. After I light them, they immediately flame 3-4inches high. They burn like they're doused in gasoline. 

I've read about soaking them in olive oil, but I'm not entirely sure what this does. The wood wick doesn't have a size. It's just a small cross. 

Thanks!

Can I ask where you found the cross wicks? From what I was told by the woodwick company the "plus" wick is proprietary to that particular candle line. 

But to answer your question, wood wicks are strange. If you do not size them right to your candle, and don't keep them trimmed properly the flames can get crazy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

Because they are different than the norm, sound comforting and throw fragrance really really well not being as finicky as a typical wick when you nail the correct size/type 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

I love wooden wicks for personal use. The flames are beautiful. And they don't lean or slump like traditional wicks. 

We NEED a LOVE <3 <3 <3 button for our reaction button :)

Keeping with what TT mentioned (I'm NOT a chandler BTW) wood wicks IME have to be trimmed VERY short. WAY shorter than a fiber wick. Some of my home made wicks were only about 3/32" high for a nice "normal" flame. 

When these first came out years ago, there were so many reports of inconsistencies and exactly what you're seeing (huge, too hot flames).  I was scared off that these were too much of a fire hazard.  ANY candle is a fire hazard, but we can do our utmost to keep everything balanced and least likely to cause problems, and those just seemed more (too) dangerous to me. 

I still need to order my sample from wooden wick but apparently lonestar wooden wicks do not perform like your all saying - the flames have been tame in my testing - in Palm different story 

air quality - good question but I wouldn't think it would be any near worse than real fireplaces in Homes 

• Like 2

I've purchased the premium wooden wick and ribbon wick from northwood. They arrived today, unfortunately I'm working midnights and 12hr shifts. When I have free time I'll test them out. 

On 12/1/2017 at 8:36 PM, TallTayl said:

Can I ask where you found the cross wicks? From what I was told by the woodwick company the "plus" wick is proprietary to that particular candle line. 

But to answer your question, wood wicks are strange. If you do not size them right to your candle, and don't keep them trimmed properly the flames can get crazy. 

I believe it was an amazon seller, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd have to check. They weren't anything fancy or expensive. They're actually pretty cheap and poorly made. They're just absolutely beautiful and I wanted them to work. Oh well, they'll make a good addition to my fire starters 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Venetti said:

I've purchased the premium wooden wick and ribbon wick from northwood. They arrived today, unfortunately I'm working midnights and 12hr shifts. When I have free time I'll test them out. 

I believe it was an amazon seller, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd have to check. They weren't anything fancy or expensive. They're actually pretty cheap and poorly made. They're just absolutely beautiful and I wanted them to work. Oh well, they'll make a good addition to my fire starters 😄

I wood ant (see what I did there?) give up on them just yet... You might split a strip off either side of the wick to make them less wide. Also try trimming the wick closer to the wax. I seriously only had about 3/32 ( as in 1.5 (16ths) of an inch above my wax and they burned beautifully. I "soaked" my wicks in hot wax, (not oil mind you) before I set them into the jars. But I made my own wooden wicks too... 

So working 12 hr shifts on midnights huh? I too am one who dwells in the darkness... Tell ya what, I'll bring the soap, YOU bring the light. ;) 

Sponiebr 

The Executor of Bad Ideas and NOT A CHANDLER... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sponiebr said:

I wood ant (see what I did there?) give up on them just yet... You might split a strip off either side of the wick to make them less wide. Also try trimming the wick closer to the wax. I seriously only had about 3/32 ( as in 1.5 (16ths) of an inch above my wax and they burned beautifully. I "soaked" my wicks in hot wax, (not oil mind you) before I set them into the jars. But I made my own wooden wicks too... 

So working 12 hr shifts on midnights huh? I too am one who dwells in the darkness... Tell ya what, I'll bring the soap, YOU bring the light. ;) 

Sponiebr 

The Executor of Bad Ideas and NOT A CHANDLER... 

Works for me! 😄😄

10 hours ago, Kerven said:

Are those cross shaped wicks the EricX Light wicks?

If so, no wonder the flames are so large. Those wooden wick widths are pretty big, with no mention of the thickness or wood type. I have noticed even slight variations in any dimension of wooden wicks change the burn dramatically in many waxes.