Wellington?

Belinda

Does anyone ever order from this company?

I ordered from them when I first started and don't remember anything blowing my socks off but their pumpkin crunch cake, but I was cleaning out a cabinet and found several of their 1/2 ounce sample bottles and they all smelled so good OOB. I realize it's only an OOB experience but I'm wondering if they might have some good FO's and I've just shied away from them because I was new and really didn't know what I was doing and because of that I didn't get good results.

Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

Following as they are in driving distance for me!

Oh wow! I would love that!

I am within driving distance  from Daystar and Texas Candle Supply and used to have BCS and Houston Candle supply within driving distance too but never went there, but DS and TCS don't sell wax. I sure wish they did though!

• Like 1

I too am withing driving distance.  I used them when I first started 7 years ago.  I had many misses and some hits.  Then I expanded my purchaes from other companies and haven't gone back to them.   One of my favorites was their Raspberry Patchouli.  I still have a bottle of it but haven't made it in years.   It still smells good OOB.   Their Monkey Fart I think it was riced like crazy and I couldn't bring it back together for nothing.  The one thing I don't like is that they don't post IFRA usage rates on their site.  I get their monthly news letter.

I also tried their flavor oils for lip balm but found that they weren't as good as other companies.

I inherited a few bottles from them. The scents are not my usual loves, but they smell nice. I test soaped monkey farts and it behaved ok! Discolored to deep brown and morphed a little. I think I have rain forest and maybe another. Want me to send some to you to try?

13 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I inherited a few bottles from them. The scents are not my usual loves, but they smell nice. I test soaped monkey farts and it behaved ok! Discolored to deep brown and morphed a little. I think I have rain forest and maybe another. Want me to send some to you to try?

Thank you so much for the offer TallTayl but I went ahead and placed an order for some more samples. I can't believe that I did that because I had given completely up on this company due to the bad luck I had with them. After I found the samples in my cabinet though I realized that they could have some really good oils and the bad experience could've been my total lack of experience! So, I bit the bullet and ordered a bunch of samples. Hopefully I won't be disappointed again!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shari said:

I too am withing driving distance.  I used them when I first started 7 years ago.  I had many misses and some hits.  Then I expanded my purchaes from other companies and haven't gone back to them.   One of my favorites was their Raspberry Patchouli.  I still have a bottle of it but haven't made it in years.   It still smells good OOB.   Their Monkey Fart I think it was riced like crazy and I couldn't bring it back together for nothing.  The one thing I don't like is that they don't post IFRA usage rates on their site.  I get their monthly news letter.

I also tried their flavor oils for lip balm but found that they weren't as good as other companies.

I wish I'd read this before I placed an order! Oh well, maybe I'll luck out and get a few good ones. I've used them before. They were actually the first company I ever ordered fragrance oils from but like you, after using other companies, I never ordered from them again. That is, not until I found the samples and they smelled good OOB so I decided to give them another try. Hopefully I will get a few hits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I buy from many companies so I'm not sure why I avoided this company for a long time.  I recently ordered a number of Linden and Jo Malone dupes from a number of companies including Wellington.  I ended up with about 20 of their premium samples.  I was surprised at how well blended their oils are.  They smelled great OOB and spotted on paper.  I made soap testers about a month ago.  Many of the FOs made it so far and I have already ordered larger bottles and additional samples.  I probably have close to a 100 of their samples now.   This is saying something about the quality of the samples I already tested given the fact that they don't have IFRAs for their oils and I have over 500 different FO samples from other companies. 

Their version of FOs I was looking for were the best of all the ones I tried.  The Wellington Linden (French Lime) is much better blended than the MMS version which has some sharp unpleasant off notes and needs blending to mellow it out.    

• Like 3

9 hours ago, grama said:

I ordered some from them when I started years ago and was not impressed but that could have changed over the years.

Same here. They were the first company I ever ordered FO's from and the only one I thought was good was pumpkin crunch cake. That was when I first started though and I thought the scent should've covered the whole house at the time LOL! I did have one of theirs going today and it smelled good and then I put one I'd made from a different company in and the one from Wellington was just as strong so I'm hoping they have some good oils. They have some of the designer ones that I would love to have.

8 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I've tested many of their scents, first using some of them quite a number of years ago.  Some are very good, imo, and unique, while others are flops, and some (I have read or heard about) do not perform in CP soap. 

I guess we can say that all suppliers have good, unique scents and flops so I'm hoping I find a few good ones from them. Not that I need or want another supplier but they have some men's fragrances that I can't find anywhere else. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shari said:

I might have to take another look at them.  I get their monthly newletter.  Thanks!!

I plan on putting a few more of theirs in wax and see what kind of results I get. They do have an Axe duplicate that I for sure want. I haven't seen anyone else that carries that particular scent.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2017 at 9:26 PM, Belinda said:

I guess we can say that all suppliers have good, unique scents and flops so I'm hoping I find a few good ones from them. Not that I need or want another supplier but they have some men's fragrances that I can't find anywhere else. Thanks for sharing!

Of the scents I enjoy from them, I've found them to be very true to their name.  Some of them remind me of vintage scents or soaps, such as Sweet Rain ... I think there were little flower hand soaps that my mom had once that smelled like this.  Some that I enjoy are Cucumber, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, African Rain, Mango, Pink Grapefruit, Gardenia, Sandalwood, Oatmeal, Christmas Morning, Honeysuckle (almost a dupe for Avon's old version) ... anyway, those are a few.  If I can think of some others, I'll post ... also, if I can think of the ones that I did not like, I'll try to post those.  I've used both manufacturing grade and premium in soy -- can't really tell the difference on some of them.  (They say to only use the premium in soy.)   They recently discontinued two scents that I really liked, Lettuce and Bluebonnet ... I'm down to 1/4-oz. each, darn.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 10:29 PM, birdcharm said:

Of the scents I enjoy from them, I've found them to be very true to their name.  Some of them remind me of vintage scents or soaps, such as Sweet Rain ... I think there were little flower hand soaps that my mom had once that smelled like this.  Some that I enjoy are Cucumber, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, African Rain, Mango, Pink Grapefruit, Gardenia, Sandalwood, Oatmeal, Christmas Morning, Honeysuckle (almost a dupe for Avon's old version) ... anyway, those are a few.  If I can think of some others, I'll post ... also, if I can think of the ones that I did not like, I'll try to post those.  I've used both manufacturing grade and premium in soy -- can't really tell the difference on some of them.  (They say to only use the premium in soy.)   They recently discontinued two scents that I really liked, Lettuce and Bluebonnet ... I'm down to 1/4-oz. each, darn.

Thanks! I'm glad to see someone has had good luck with some of their FO's. I'm going to order bigger bottles of some of their manly fragrances. That's not my favorite type scents but most of my customers want that or leather. I'm a bakery person myself. 

Thanks again for posting!

On 6/14/2017 at 11:39 AM, Soapmaker145 said:

The Wellington Linden (French Lime) is much better blended than the MMS version which has some sharp unpleasant off notes and needs blending to mellow it out.    

If you can share, how do you mellow out the French  Lime Blossom? I have it from two different places (not Wellington) and they both are just a bit "off" from what I want. Thanks for any help!

On 6/19/2017 at 7:54 AM, maryta said:

If you can share, how do you mellow out the French  Lime Blossom? I have it from two different places (not Wellington) and they both are just a bit "off" from what I want. Thanks for any help!

I have the MMS version of the French Lime.  It has some off base notes that tend to become harsher and more dominant the longer you smell them (at least to my nose).  I ended up mixing it 1:1 with the Elderflower scent.  I bought the NS dupe of the MO Elderflower called Sambucus.  The 2 together are better than either one alone in soap.  The Elderflower mellowed the Linden off notes and made the scent easier to detect in soap.  If you're using it for candles, you might want to try different ratios.  You probably need more of the Linden to keep the scent more true to Linden. 

I ended up buying big bottles of Wellington's versions of both of these FOs after testing the samples (Elderflower Bloom and Jo Malone's French Lime) even though I have a lb of the other 2.  I'm a hobbyist soaper so a lb lasts me a long time.  The 2 Wellington FOs don't need any doctoring.  They are spot on on their own.  The Elderflower has more depth than the MO or NS version and the French Lime is pretty close to L'Occitane's version or at least what I remember of it.  

I also bought some aroma molecules that include Linden type accords but I haven't had a chance to test them yet.  When I have more time, I plan on mixing the 2 Lindens with the Elderflower and aroma molecules.  If I come up with anything better, I'll update this thread.  

• Like 2

Thank you so much, Soapmaker145!!   I think I will try the Elderflower from Wellington and try some blending with MMS French Lime and also the Wellington French Lime and maybe transition to that after my MMS is gone.  I am making wax melts so I'll see how they all are :) !  I have never ordered from  Wellington; I buy from a lot of suppliers and don't really want to add another but I love French Lime Blossom and MMS was the best I've tried so far but it could be better!  I'm looking forward to trying the Wellington!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, maryta said:

Thank you so much, Soapmaker145!!   I think I will try the Elderflower from Wellington and try some blending with MMS French Lime and also the Wellington French Lime and maybe transition to that after my MMS is gone.  I am making wax melts so I'll see how they all are :) !  I have never ordered from  Wellington; I buy from a lot of suppliers and don't really want to add another but I love French Lime Blossom and MMS was the best I've tried so far but it could be better!  I'm looking forward to trying the Wellington!

Please let us know what your thoughts are about their FO's. I've only put one in wax so far. Hopefully I'll get around to the rest soon.

• Like 1

I couldn't have been more surprised at the Wellington FOs.  I ordered from them too so I stop wasting time looking at their versions of various Jo Malone dupes.  I had been looking for the Linden scent for a long time.  I figured I try a few FOs, get disappointed and forget about them. I ordered at the same time from several companies including The Flaming Candle, The Candlemakerstore, and Just scents.  I already had the FOs from MMS and Nurture.  I tested all the FOs at the same time using the same soap batter.

I'm usually happy if 10% of the FOs I buy make it through the cp process. I would easily buy bigger bottles of at least half of the ~20 Wellington FOs that I tested.  I placed a second order within a month with several larger bottles and more samples than I want to count.  I haven't had a chance to test the new samples yet but they smelled nice OOB.  Even scents I wouldn't necessarily use myself smelled well balanced.  Either my nose is a good match for the nose creating the Wellington FOs or they have a master nose working for them.

If you do some testing, please share your experience.  

Of all the FOs I tested, only the JS scents didn't work well.  They didn't have much longevity spotted on paper (all gone in 1 hour) or in soap.  It's too bad because the Sorrel and Lemon Thyme smelled really good.  It would have made a great soap scent.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to get back to this thread ... I had mentioned Sweet Rain as reminding me of a vintage soap, but when I checked later, it's Sweetgrass that has that scent.  I do enjoy the Sweet Rain though, and, I forgot to mention that I used to use Ocean and Sea Breeze, but recently tried Sea Spray and it's nice too. 

Some of the ones I didn't find suitable for me have been French Vanilla, White Chocolate, Snickerdoodle, Jasmine Powder, Cranberry Woods, Chestnut & Clove.  There are some others I would not buy again based on past experience, but I don't have a list of them at the moment.  I forgot to mention that I like their Sunflower and Orchid. 

• Like 1