Store Bought Candles

On 3/28/2017 at 7:38 PM, coconut said:

I have read that GMO soy has been engineered to not be killed by Roundup. Can Roundup be removed from wax? Herbicide drift has been reported by farmers coming from fields adjacent to their own. I had to quit eating all soy except soy sauce, and I don't know if I am allergic to soy or if it is related to the GMO issue.

As an example, on the EcoSoya manufacturer's product page, they state: 

"We designed all the EcoSoya manufacturing processes to purify our waxes so thoroughly as to remove any presence of pesticides, herbicides or Genetically Modified Materials (GMM).  These processes have been verified and confirmed to be 100% effective by experienced third party Accredited Laboratory analysis of each of our waxes.  All results have proven that our manufacturing processes ensure EcoSoya CB-135, CB-Advanced Soy, CB-XceL and PB contain NONE of these substances. We use good, old-fashioned, farm-grown soybeans to create all our environmentally friendly EcoSoya soy waxes."

On their pesticide-free file, it states:  "no components found within detection limits"

>>>
"We would like to use soybeans that are strictly organic or non-GMO but due to supply issues we can’t guarantee it.  We do guarantee that our waxes themselves do not contain any pesticides, herbicides, or genetically modified material. During manufacturing, the waxes are cleaned of any of these items if present, resulting in a very clean and green product."

So, I would say that this particular company takes care to offer a "cleansed" product, and I've read similar notes on other companies' sites, so I don't feel that there is much of an issue in terms of having any reactions to pesticides with the soy waxes.  Yet, it's not to say that they aren't used.

Edited by birdcharm
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, birdcharm said:

As an example, on the EcoSoya manufacturer's product page, they state: 

"We designed all the EcoSoya manufacturing processes to purify our waxes so thoroughly as to remove any presence of pesticides, herbicides or Genetically Modified Materials (GMM).  These processes have been verified and confirmed to be 100% effective by experienced third party Accredited Laboratory analysis of each of our waxes.  All results have proven that our manufacturing processes ensure EcoSoya CB-135, CB-Advanced Soy, CB-XceL and PB contain NONE of these substances. We use good, old-fashioned, farm-grown soybeans to create all our environmentally friendly EcoSoya soy waxes."

On their pesticide-free file, it states:  "no components found within detection limits"

>>>
"We would like to use soybeans that are strictly organic or non-GMO but due to supply issues we can’t guarantee it.  We do guarantee that our waxes themselves do not contain any pesticides, herbicides, or genetically modified material. During manufacturing, the waxes are cleaned of any of these items if present, resulting in a very clean and green product."

So, I would say that this particular company takes care to offer a "cleansed" product, and I've read similar notes on other companies' sites, so I don't feel that there is much of an issue in terms of having any reactions to pesticides with the soy waxes.  Yet, it's not to say that they aren't used.

That is good news. If only our food supply was that pure.?

27 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

lol, "No one gives a crap".....lol

I find that true too....

Trappeur

I like this whole concept.  Maybe I've been hanging around too many crunchy people ;)

• Like 1

When I was in college too many years ago, people kept saying about eventual over-population and feeding all the people on earth, that 'science will find a way'. And it has. Only people don't much like what they have come up with. :rolleyes:

7 billion and counting...

ps, if you don't like anything related to a gmo, you'd better be prepared to give up cheese. The first approved genetically modified organism is a bacterium that produces rennet - which is used in most hard cheese making these days, even in pristine Vermont. And it is apparently exempt from labeling laws.

Many think the blanket anti gmo reaction is hysteria. Of course that does not mean that in the future something bad might not be produced because when you can mess with genes, the potential is there, but thus far the negative reaction does not seem to be driven by facts.

Round-up use is a concern of course, but a number of non-gmo crops are sprayed with round up to kill and dry them out before harvest.

Only consume 'real food' and know where that food comes from.

• Like 1

@Incendia I think it's funny that people are anti-GMO.  I get the organic movement, not wanting pesticides on your food, but GMOs make food bigger and tastier.  I'm all for that ;)  Until of course, someone legitimately links it to health concerns... but at the moment, it's all good.

I am in the middle of farm country made out of wetland. The pesticide and herbicide sprays and runoff are nothing to laugh about.   Have lost more farmer friends to nasty health issues to count. Nothing is gentle about big ag. Sorry. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I am in the middle of farm country made out of wetland. The pesticide and herbicide sprays and runoff are nothing to laugh about.   Have lost more farmer friends to nasty health issues to count. Nothing is gentle about big ag. Sorry. 

My mother had 5 brothers, all successful muck farmers (drained bogs/swamps) in the Midwest. Not a one of them lived past 55. She said she remembered them coming home covered in white powder - after WWII, and before the dangers were known. I'd be more worried about the various '-cides' used on food crops.( -cide - Latin - the act of killing) than gmo's.

As for gmo's in wax, as some said above about blends, I don't think most people care. I'd be more worried about the fact that the soybean oil has been hydrogenated to make it solid - a known health risk. If you eat it.

24 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I wasn't laughing about pesticide runoff - I don't like them either.  I don't mind the GMOs though.  Sorry to offend.

10 minutes ago, ehatch1 said:

I wasn't laughing about pesticide runoff - I don't like them either.  I don't mind the GMOs though.  Sorry to offend.

I think it's a matter of looking at the bigger picture -- some GMO's aren't in themselves doing any harm, although I have noticed that some fruits may last longer on the shelves, they certainly don't taste as sweet as they used to.  Yet, some of them are doing damage, often in indirect ways.  For instance, some of the farming practices are wiping out other plants ... these can be plants, for instance, like milkweed which is necessary for Monarch butterflies.  Again, we just need to look further down the road regarding some things or consider some things we may not have thought about.  :)

• Like 3

I think it's a matter of looking at the bigger picture -- some GMO's aren't in themselves doing any harm, although I have noticed that some fruits may last longer on the shelves, they certainly don't taste as sweet as they used to. 

It is true that many fruits do not taste as good as they used to, and last longer in the stores. But that's not because they are GMOs, but rather the result of traditional plant breeding techniques, where fruits are selected for characteristics of harvest (machine picking, ripe all at once, etc), looks and long-keeping, with taste fairly low on the list of importance. I like to say present day tomatoes have been bred so they can be bounced to market.

There is also post-harvest care, where fruits are often held in conditions that prevent further ripening. If it was just refridgeration, that would be OK. But, for example, avocados are shipped across oceans in containers with certain gases that prevent premature ripening. We only know part of how our foods are manipulated. Hence, know where you food comes from. Buy local if you can. Or better yet, grow your own.

Yet, some of them are doing damage, often in indirect ways.  For instance, some of the farming practices are wiping out other plants ... these can be plants, for instance, like milkweed which is necessary for Monarch butterflies.  Again, we just need to look further down the road regarding some things or consider some things we may not have thought about.

Again, that's not GMOs at fault, but rather as you say, "farming practices" such as monocultures and over-use of pesticides and herbicides, improper crop rotation, not to mention clear-cutting and basic removal of natural habitat for both plant and animal species. And it's a dead-end street. Sad to say, we may well be past the tipping point. Just ask the honey bees.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/12/2017 at 0:24 PM, moonshine said:

I think the attraction to soy is all the hype soy candle makers made about it being "safer" to burn, allegations of poisons and toxins in paraffin being a fuel byproduct...

That is what I always hear about anyways when people remark how glad they are I have soy candles....I set them straight on it because if you research it it's all BS- a huge marketing gimmick to sell soy

I started with soy and that's what I mainly make, it fits my area of what people want and it's really all I know- I have been playing with parasoy for a couple years and planned to introduce a line with colors and a different type jar because my soy are not colored but I can't seem to get it together keeping up with the soy and messing with wicking all the scents I want to offer 

advantages to soy IMO are you do not see the soot unless you wick it really bad and it does burn cooler, other than that there are many disadvantages as the parasoy takes color beautifully, it does not frost and it's so much easier to get a strong throw along with the creamy look plus you can pour hotter ?

Please pardon my ignorance , as I am fairly new at this , but what is the benefit of being able to pour hotter? Also . soy burns cooler ... what difference does that make to your candle? There is so much to learn! I am experimenting with pouring at a really low temp of 100f at the moment and adding F/O at 125f. I saw a You Tube video on it where a girl claims her fragrances are "Off the chart" by doing this . I will try anything! LOL My main problem at the moment though is wicking ... we can only get CDN and HTP wicks and I am finding it so frustrating ... so much hang-up! Any help is appreciated .. thankyou

Benefit of pouring hotter is getting more made faster - when you poor cool it takes so much more time and time is money 

soy burning cooler means just that- you usually have to wick way up compared to a paraffin candle 

Utube videos are very misleading and provide false information 

I make soy and I pour cooler....do I get off the charts throw? I would say yes BUT I make parasoy as well and pour hot and the throw blows soy away

you have to experiment and learn from your own testing what works and what doesn't - not to say all videos are bad but most are misleading - you honestly will get bettter advice and starting points reading through threads on here from people that take this seriously and want to help others 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moonshine said:

Benefit of pouring hotter is getting more made faster - when you poor cool it takes so much more time and time is money 

soy burning cooler means just that- you usually have to wick way up compared to a paraffin candle 

Utube videos are very misleading and provide false information 

I make soy and I pour cooler....do I get off the charts throw? I would say yes BUT I make parasoy as well and pour hot and the throw blows soy away

you have to experiment and learn from your own testing what works and what doesn't - not to say all videos are bad but most are misleading - you honestly will get bettter advice and starting points reading through threads on here from people that take this seriously and want to help others 

Good advice as usual! Thankyou so much for that ... so what temps are recommended for pouring parasoy? ihave C3 and 464 ..... as well as some 4630. I will do some blending ... soy70/30 ? aarrggh ... LOL It is so fun and addictive!!!  I could do this 24/7 I think!!

2 hours ago, obsessed said:

Good advice as usual! Thankyou so much for that ... so what temps are recommended for pouring parasoy? ihave C3 and 464 ..... as well as some 4630. I will do some blending ... soy70/30 ? aarrggh ... LOL It is so fun and addictive!!!  I could do this 24/7 I think!!

You coukd start by taking a happy medium between the 2 waxes suggested pour temp from the manufacturers 

if your adding 30% paraffin I would think you could pour quite a bit hotter than 100

its is addicting....have fun playing and keep us posted on your results 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, moonshine said:

You can start taking a happy medium between the 2 waxes suggested pour temp from the manufacturers 

if your adding 30% paraffin I would think you could pour quite a bit hotter than 100

tonight I've been reading up on blending and a few people said not to mix 4630 with 464 ... what do you think? no-one mentioned c3! I have been reading for so long its now nearly 11pm and too late to start LOL  My mind is too busy to sleep!

14 minutes ago, obsessed said:

tonight I've been reading up on blending and a few people said not to mix 4630 with 464 ... what do you think? no-one mentioned c3! I have been reading for so long its now nearly 11pm and too late to start LOL  My mind is too busy to sleep!

4630 is the harmony blend, right? 15-20% in C3 makes a world of difference as far as appearance IMO.

CD, CDN etc. wicks work well for most fragrances in my C3. The flame is pretty, as is the melt pool. 

YouTube recommendation to mix the fragrance at such a low temp can get you into some trouble with incomplete mixing of the fragrance, especially with heavier oils. The last thing you want is pooling of your fragrance beneath the wax surface, or seeping of the fragrance. Both conditions can lead to flares.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

4630 is the harmony blend, right? 15-20% in C3 makes a world of difference as far as appearance IMO.

CD, CDN etc. wicks work well for most fragrances in my C3. The flame is pretty, as is the melt pool. 

YouTube recommendation to mix the fragrance at such a low temp can get you into some trouble with incomplete mixing of the fragrance, especially with heavier oils. The last thing you want is pooling of your fragrance beneath the wax surface, or seeping of the fragrance. Both conditions can lead to flares.

yes it is Harmony I think. Oh I never thought of mixing 2 different soys! I was thinking of a parasoy blend ... but I really like the sound of trying those 2. I thought they were pretty similar. Obviously not! LOL You all are so informative ... 

24 minutes ago, moonshine said:

You can start taking a happy medium between the 2 waxes suggested pour temp from the manufacturers 

2 hours ago, obsessed said:

yes it is Harmony I think. Oh I never thought of mixing 2 different soys! I was thinking of a parasoy blend ... but I really like the sound of trying those 2. I thought they were pretty similar. Obviously not! LOL You all are so informative ... 

I can't help with those waxes - never used 4630 and it's been years since I used 464

C3 I didn't work with long enough to know on that one either 

best way to find out is is dive in...pick which ones you want to work with and keep at it before moving to quickly on to another as that can be very frustrating having to many mixes in the pot at the same time  

If your not satisfied after several attempts then move on 

• Like 1

4630 harmony is paraffin. So 4630 and C3 or 464 would become a parasoy blend :)

i learned long long ago to test things myself versus just trust that this or that won't work. Learned a lot along the way ?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2017 at 10:49 AM, TallTayl said:

4630 harmony is paraffin. So 4630 and C3 or 464 would become a parasoy blend :)

i learned long long ago to test things myself versus just trust that this or that won't work. Learned a lot along the way ?

Works just fine for me, too!