MASTER BATCH DONE! What did *you* do today?

iansmommaya

I just got done Master Batching 80 pounds of oil! Thanks for this thread, I've starting doing this and while it takes a little while to measure and melt all those oils it saves sooooo much time!

This is the thread in which we decide it is the way forward.

• Like 3

Good for you Ians!

And what did I do or are doing?  Ok, I've been sitting on my a......ss, lol watching Hallmark Christmas movies and crying at the tear jerker ones.....I'm such a sap.....and a romantic.....

I made home made chocolate chip cookies last night and am putting them in the oven now.  Geesh, I just ran out of milk!

Now have to get all my kitty beds ready for them all on the porch with the electric cat beds in each of them so they stay warm.

Trappeur

• Like 1

I wrote out a long list of groceries I need to get for this week and for the Thanksgiving holiday. Then I cut up 3 five lb batches of soap and put them up on their curing racks in my soap curing room.

Then I searched the internet for 50 lb bulk container heating belts. I don't want to do all that work of scooping hard oils/butters out of my bulk containers then melting them before I can masterbatch. Its especially hard in the colder months and anyway it makes my wrist tired and sore. I AM SO DONE WITH THAT!! Soooo..... I found a few I am considering. So tomorrow when I make my bank deposit I am going to buy one and use it to heat oils in those large bulk 40 lb and 50 lb containers I get. Then I should be able to masterbatch more quickly and efficiently. The ones I am considering also have the capacity to keep the container warm overnight without hurting the plastic. I think that's the ticket for me!!

That's about it. I have more soap to cut but after already doing a craft show on Saturday I am always bushed the next day. So doing anything or getting anything done the next day is a plus!

Edited by Candybee

32 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Good for you Ians!

And what did I do or are doing?  Ok, I've been sitting on my a......ss, lol watching Hallmark Christmas movies and crying at the tear jerker ones.....I'm such a sap.....and a romantic.....

I made home made chocolate chip cookies last night and am putting them in the oven now.  Geesh, I just ran out of milk!

Now have to get all my kitty beds ready for them all on the porch with the electric cat beds in each of them so they stay warm.

Trappeur

mmmmm.... cookies!! Please eat a cookie for me!! I went back on my diet so it will be a long time before I can have any cookies. I love hot chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven with the chocolate melting when you pull them apart!!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, iansmommaya said:

I just got done Master Batching 80 pounds of oil! Thanks for this thread, I've starting doing this and while it takes a little while to measure and melt all those oils it saves sooooo much time!

I will never make soap one batch at a time anymore unless it's a specialty recipe. It's an amazing time saver! 

Trappeur_ COOOOOOOKIES. Now I want a cookie. I think I am out of the crucial chocolate chips.

Candybee_ i went grocery shopping but I only got a couple of things for the Big Food day. Brussle sprouts, squash and a turkey.

Now I am taking a break watching HULU for a half hour until I get to soap making. I think I also might need a snack. <3

1 hour ago, iansmommaya said:

My GAWD ladies... So, uh... Like how long would something like that take? Theoretically? Also out of curiosity, if you are getting jugs or pails for individual batches, where are you getting them from? I've got 35 lbs. of Palm and 35 lbs. of CO I need to weigh out into more manageable containers. I'm not 100% sold that my standard formula is going to be the one and only for all time formula. I mean I LOVE how it works, but I really don't like the concept of basing a formulation off of a premixed store product, because they could change their formulation at anytime. I really need to try a regular OO-CO-PO-Cas mix and see how I like it. 

What have I done? I've been at Church and putzing around all day. I'm fix'n to go make a picture frame for a world map 44"x31"...  yay... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Good for you Ians!

Trappeur

Lol ! Why am I not surprised that you have electric cat beds .... never knew there was such a thing but I do now, and of course I learned that here ! 

Iam a sucker for tear jerker movies too ! Some of the best movies Ive seen were on the Lifetime Channel. I just wish I could remember the names of them

they were that good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

My GAWD ladies... So, uh... Like how long would something like that take? Theoretically? Also out of curiosity, if you are getting jugs or pails for individual batches, where are you getting them from? I've got 35 lbs. of Palm and 35 lbs. of CO I need to weigh out into more manageable containers. I'm not 100% sold that my standard formula is going to be the one and only for all time formula. I mean I LOVE how it works, but I really don't like the concept of basing a formulation off of a premixed store product, because they could change their formulation at anytime. I really need to try a regular OO-CO-PO-Cas mix and see how I like it. 

What have I done? I've been at Church and putzing around all day. I'm fix'n to go make a picture frame for a world map 44"x31"...  yay... 

I only make 2, 3, & 5 pound batches, and when I take the time to weigh out my masterbatch at time of making into smaller individual batches, I use plastic pitchers I get from the Dollar Tree. They will only fit the 2 and 3 pound batches though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Lol ! Why am I not surprised that you have electric cat beds .... never knew there was such a thing but I do now, and of course I learned that here ! 

Iam a sucker for tear jerker movies too ! Some of the best movies Ive seen were on the Lifetime Channel. I just wish I could remember the names of them

they were that good. 

Those electric cat beds have been around for quite a while! You might not be used to calling them electric cat beds though... Most people call them:

(wait for it) 

Laptops. 

Bah-dum-bah-Ching!  

:biggrin:

• Like 1

I agree with you all on the masterbatching oils.  Such a time saver.  I use 5 gallon buckets and it's so much easier.   I only make 5 lb batchs, sometimes a 12lb of my best sellers.

Masterbatching my lye has helped a great deal too.  No waiting.

On 11/21/2016 at 5:18 AM, Shari said:

Masterbatching my lye has helped a great deal too.  No waiting.

I masterbatch my lye as well. I always soap at RT. Makes soaping such a joy when I don't have to spend half of that time weighing everything out and then waiting for lye to cool... 

1 hour ago, Terry said:

How long would you be able to keep a MB of lye/water and a MB of oils?

The oils, only as long as they don't go rancid, so I'd say as long as stored properly, whatever the shelf life is for the oil that is shortest, however I think all of my oils have a 2 year shelf life or so. However my MB rarely lasts more than 3-4 months. 

The lye solution, also never had any over 6 months, but as long as it's in a proper container, and is airtight it should last - forever?? As long as there is no evaporation or contamination, I don't see why it wouldn't last as long as the MB'd oils... (or longer) 

• Like 1