Bulk Apothecary

Trappeur

On 9/27/2015 at 6:05 PM, Trappeur said:

Has anyone ever ordered from Bulk Apothecary?  Boy they sure have some nice sounding fragrances.  But then their pictures are beautiful and makes you want to order from them when the pictures mean zippo! lol, lol

Trappeur

I think they are terrible.... I wrote about my experiences here

• 2 weeks later...

So far for me, BA's FO's outperform all of the other suppliers I have tried when it comes to the solid perfumes that I make for myself. Though not too long ago I started trying wholesale supplies plus, and they are a close second.

BA definitely seems to be a hit or miss kind of company, though. I haven't had any issues with them so far, but looking over their reviews (off site), it's a mixed bags of extremes. It seems like when they do well, they do very well, and when they mess up, their customer service is quite dismal. So it's like a fingers crossed sort of thing hoping you're not one of the unlucky few who gets a screwed up order. Every company makes mistakes at least now and then, but not handling mistakes professionally is something else entirely. So again it seems like a gamble. 

I buy FO's from them simply because with my skin type and such, solid perfumes and roll on perfumes fade so fast on me, but their FO's last for several hours on me using the same recipes. That alone to me makes it worth a little gamble and the higher FO price. For soaps and candles, though, I've seen some say that BA's FO performance isn't quite special enough to justify the significantly higher pricing.

I have the same sort of love/hate thing with bramble berry. Their processing time and shipping charges tend to be ridiculous, and their customer rewards system blows compared to nearly all of their competition, but they have a few items that I still strongly prefer to get from them. So I just order as strategically as possible and seldom try new things from them.

I might give them another try.  I ordered 2 oils from them and was so excited when I got their Dutch Apple pie it was so amazing smelling the bottle but when I made a candle, "zippo"....no throw...nothing - not even a faint smell.  I kept the empty bottle and love to go and sniff it.  Don't know what happened.  I'll get a small bottle and see again.  I also ordered natural lemon creme and forgot I had.  I'm making it now...smells awesome.  I did order a bunch of wicks and their prices are like 2 to 3.00 a bag cheaper for a 100.00 and shipping was very good. 

I did notice they have a wax called 5702-02-02 Golden wax.  I just chatted with someone there and asked if that wax was the same as 464 and asked if they had 464.  She said no they don't carry 464 and that this is a different wax.  Now I was on the Candlemakers site and see they carry 464 ako 5702-02-02 which means that this is one in the same wax I'm thinking.  I just called Candlemakers store to ask about this wax combo but they were closed.  Does anyone know what this is all about?

Trappeur

Those codes are the new AKSSOY golden wax conversions. My 5715-0202( or whatever the actual number)  actually says GW444 also on the label.

I kind of want to go back to retest my fails and soy wax over the past year. Like fails weren’t really fails of the fragrance but of the wax and wick that I was using.

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Those codes are the new AKSSOY golden wax conversions. My 5715-0202( or whatever the actual number)  actually says GW444 also on the label.

I kind of want to go back to retest my fails and soy wax over the past year. Like fails weren’t really fails of the fragrance but of the wax and wick that I was using.

Did you have a previous box of 444 at some point that didn't have the new item number that you could compare the new stock to?

35 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

Did you have a previous box of 444 at some point that didn't have the new item number that you could compare the new stock to?

I can go look again.from what I recall They look identical. Both came from Candlewic within a month of each other. Both performed very differently though.

Ok so if they are assigning numbers as conversions why with one company like Candle makers Store and 1 company Bulk Apothecary why would each have completely different melt points and pour points for the same wax 5702-02-02 ?

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

11 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Ok so if they are assigning numbers as conversions why with one company like Candle makers Store and 1 company Bulk Apothecary why would each have completely different melt points and pour points for the same wax 5702-02-02 ?

Trappeur

Good question. I find often that suppliers copy each other when writing descriptions, versus copying the manufacturers descriptions. I think it helps them all with google ratings. 

The 5702, etc numbers are from AKOSOy, though, and do cross reference to the GB product numbers. There’s a post by Moonshine here somewhere that helped guide the decisions. 

It is also possible that the akosoy waxes have changed. I’d need to google the company’s manufacturing info and technical documents to be sure. All indications are they wax is manufactured the same though.