wicking 415 in 8oz square mason

I think I am going back to 415 wax. Been using 464 for a while and the scent throw is not as good. I think I used Eco 12 in my masons with the 415. Any suggestions?

I've got an Eco 12 in a 16 oz apothecary testing now. Its 3 5/8" wide. Is on the 2nd burn. Looks like it may reach full MP on next burn. Maybe that will help you judge.

I used .8 oz FO of CC and no dye.

I think I am going back to 415 wax. Been using 464 for a while and the scent throw is not as good. I think I used Eco 12 in my masons with the 415. Any suggestions?

I wick that wax in square masons with either an Eco 12 or cd 12 or 14. The Eco seems to burn hotter and is used with my stronger FO's

What FO% do you use MoonShine? Thanks!

I use 1.5 ounces per pound- tried a few with less and didnt throw for me as good so rather than play with percentages that is what I always use- if I have a wick issue where it wants to drown out I will back down IF I think the scent is worth it

I had some issues with wicking when I was experimenting with additives and pour temps and tempering but I am pretty confident I worked out the kinks _ all my testers are doing great now!

Yes with all waxes, I can smell all the waxes with 8%, 7% just seems weaker. I do 8% of whatever amt. I'm pouring. I need testers to make sure. I use this:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/percentcalc.htm

Then use this to convert to grams:

http://www.calculateme.com/Weight/Ounces/ToGrams.htm

I'm the same way, and I'm constantly amazed when people say they get a strong HT with less than 8%, so I'm glad to know it's not just me...I thought there was something wrong with my nose. But, what I'm wondering is, do you add 8% to 16 oz of wax? or do you subtract first, like this: 1.3 oz FO to 14.7 oz wax for a total of 16 oz.

Edited by HorsescentS

I add 8% to 16oz of wax. 1st I use this:

What is % of

?

Answer:

Then this:

Ounces

1.28 Ounces = 36.287389600000004 Grams

So I would round down to 36 grams

Oh, okay, thank you! It really helps to know that because I think we all mean something different when we say 8% or 7% or whatever.

Yes with all waxes, I can smell all the waxes with 8%, 7% just seems weaker. I do 8% of whatever amt. I'm pouring. I need testers to make sure. I use this:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/percentcalc.htm

Then use this to convert to grams:

http://www.calculateme.com/Weight/Ounces/ToGrams.htm

1.5 ounces per pound is 8.57%...wouldn't it be easier on you to do it this way- I get a headache thinking about the conversions! LOL unless for some reason it doesn't work out for you to do 1 pound batches at a time- and a half percent more is not really that much difference- at least I don't think

I've been pouring 2 oz votive jars for testing instead of wasting 8oz or more of wax. Then if the little jar has HT I make an 8oz version.

I'd be in trouble if these two conversion charts disappeared. LOL! I laminated big index cards with all the amts. I use so far.

I like using grams in case I make a mistake somehow. 1 or 2 extra grams is not so bad whereas if I screw up an oz.......

1.5 ounces per pound is 8.57%...wouldn't it be easier on you to do it this way- I get a headache thinking about the conversions! LOL unless for some reason it doesn't work out for you to do 1 pound batches at a time- and a half percent more is not really that much difference- at least I don't think

I've been pouring 2 oz votive jars for testing instead of wasting 8oz or more of wax. Then if the little jar has HT I make an 8oz version.

I'd be in trouble if these two conversion charts disappeared. LOL! I laminated big index cards with all the amts. I use so far.

I like using grams in case I make a mistake somehow. 1 or 2 extra grams is not so bad whereas if I screw up an oz.......

I never thought about testing in smaller jars first it sure would save a lot of wax.

It's NaturallyTru's idea, I just copied. It's great, you know right away if HT is going to happen. I bought the votive jars for 25cents a piece at a craft store.

Jeanie said she's been doing it for quite awhile. Such a wonderful method! Saves time & money.

Another plus: The little 1 oz samples go alot farther.:yay:

Edited by ChandlerWicks

It's really easy. As long as you know the FO% you want to use & the amount of wax, you're done.

8.57% FO of 2oz wax = 0.1714oz

Use this one: http://www.onlineconversion.com/percentcalc.htm

put 8.57% in 1st blank rectangle

put 2 in rectangle under the 1st & hit calculate.

Gotcha- that makes total sense.... and I ordered votive holders to start doing this myself and kinda forgot about it- duh

so I guess I will be getting that headache after all figuring out my % FO..... crap

Edited by ChandlerWicks

It's NaturallyTru's idea, I just copied. It's great, you know right away if HT is going to happen. I bought the votive jars for 25cents a piece at a craft store.

Jeanie said she's been doing it for quite awhile. Such a wonderful method! Saves time & money.

Another plus: The little 1 oz samples go alot farther.:yay:

Was afraid my allowance was going to get cut if I didn't cut back the amount of wax that was coming in this house :laugh2::laugh2:

• 3 weeks later...