Pouring into salt and pepper shakers???

So I had posted before about doing some candles for a baby shower, which I have done before, I have also poured into baby food jars several times, but this lady just sent me a message saying she bought salt and pepper shakers for the shower candles... Seriously??? I'm thinking, if I could even get wax into the container (I'm so super clumsy), and wick it properly, how on earth could you burn it?!?! Sounds super scary to me, and I've got this voice in my head scream "JUMP SHIP!!!! WE DON'T NEED A LAWSUIT"!!!!! Has anyone ever tried this?? Am I panicking, or is it possible???

I don't think it was so much about the look of the salt and pepper shaker, I just don't think she wanted to pay the price for the glass baby bottles. I quoted her an EXTREMELY cheap price to fill the baby bottles, pretty much at cost, and she sends me this message.....

• I bought salt and pepper glass to put them in is that ok and how much will this cost me? I think make all of them pink
  • Will the glass be big enough or do u have glass the size of baby food jars?

Just slowly.... :tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe:!!!!!!

I just don't think she wanted to pay the price for the glass baby bottles. I quoted her an EXTREMELY cheap price to fill the baby bottles, pretty much at cost, and she sends me this message.....

So, are glass baby bottles safe to pour into? Can they take the heat of a candle?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baby-Bottle-Candle-1-Cavity-Silicone-Mold-1125-/380333966420

http://www.vanyulay.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=20

I have a silicone baby bottle mold, similar to these listed, and are a big hit at baby showers. I would never use the real bottle! Just because it stands up to boiling water doesn't mean it will take the direct heat of a burning wick. :cool2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baby-Bottle-Candle-1-Cavity-Silicone-Mold-1125-/380333966420

http://www.vanyulay.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=20

I have a silicone baby bottle mold, similar to these listed, and are a big hit at baby showers. I would never use the real bottle! Just because it stands up to boiling water doesn't mean it will take the direct heat of a burning wick. :cool2:

Wouldn't baby bottles be as safe as canning jars since they're both designed to stand up to boiling water?

Those are really cute molds! Thanks for those!

Edited by HorsescentS

Wouldn't baby bottles be as safe as canning jars since they're both designed to stand up to boiling water?

it IS different since the glass for canning jars is rated for much higher temperatures and pressures than a simple short boil to clean them. Canning jars are manufactured to withstand pressure canning, baby bottles are not. canning jars are manufactured of heat tempered glass intended for repeated high heat and reuse. Baby bottles are not. Even with these intentions, there are occasional glass failures even with canning jars.

What it comes down to is asking yourself, should a glass failure happen at a customer's home causing injury or damage, how would you explain your selection of glass to an investigator, insurance agent, lawyer or judge? Not that it will happen, but it can. How you document your testing and including your safe choice of container will matter.

it IS different since the glass for canning jars is rated for much higher temperatures and pressures than a simple short boil to clean them. Canning jars are manufactured to withstand pressure canning, baby bottles are not. canning jars are manufactured of heat tempered glass intended for repeated high heat and reuse. Baby bottles are not. Even with these intentions, there are occasional glass failures even with canning jars.

What it comes down to is asking yourself, should a glass failure happen at a customer's home causing injury or damage, how would you explain your selection of glass to an investigator, insurance agent, lawyer or judge? Not that it will happen, but it can. How you document your testing and including your safe choice of container will matter.

Good points!