Crisco Candle recommended by Homestead / Survivalism FB page

Finally, a use for that can of Crisco that just has to be in every pantry. lol. I can't bring myself to cook with it.

Lol Do you think it would really burn for 45 days? Wouldn't the wick drown or something? Hey, if will work I will go and buy a can of Crisco to keep on hand this winter in case of power outtages...but "string"? really??

Lol Do you think it would really burn for 45 days? Wouldn't the wick drown or something? Hey, if will work I will go and buy a can of Crisco to keep on hand this winter in case of power outtages...but "string"? really??

Hmm.. 45 days.. in a row? at 24x7? Theoretically, I suppose if wicked properly, and burned properly (whatever that is for crisco) then one could calculate the fuel consumption per hour.

I'd think something of that diameter would need multiple wicks. And I've heard of strange things used for wicks. String seems almost normal lol.

Hve you read the old thread by ALan where he makes sticks a wick in things like Vicks and a stick of butter to see what happens? I love that thread so much I re-read it once or twice a year for a good chuckle.

Hmm.. 45 days.. in a row? at 24x7? Theoretically, I suppose if wicked properly, and burned properly (whatever that is for crisco) then one could calculate the fuel consumption per hour.

I'd think something of that diameter would need multiple wicks. And I've heard of strange things used for wicks. String seems almost normal lol.

Hve you read the old thread by ALan where he makes sticks a wick in things like Vicks and a stick of butter to see what happens? I love that thread so much I re-read it once or twice a year for a good chuckle.

Yes, that's a funny thread!

Um, I seem to have enough candle failures to keep my house lit up:embarasse

Finally, a use for that can of Crisco that just has to be in every pantry. lol. I can't bring myself to cook with it.

Girl, you need to use that crisco to fry chicken! Of course, this comes from Minny in The Help (which I just watched again)...and it IS lip smacking good LOL!

Best fried chicken ever!

I saw the post on FB, I like their stuff lol.

Edited by debratant

• 1 month later...

I didn't read this thread when yall were having it, and I should have.

I just saw this crap on FB and I put my two cents in . Everyone is saying I don't know what I'm talking about , yadda yadda, some girl was talking about the difference in flash points between this and wax, on and on.

I tried. I really tried.

I didn't read this thread when yall were having it, and I should have.

I just saw this crap on FB and I put my two cents in . Everyone is saying I don't know what I'm talking about , yadda yadda, some girl was talking about the difference in flash points between this and wax, on and on.

I tried. I really tried.

Yeah, they won't listen. I got deleted from the "Homestead Survival" FB page because I posted a comment that a DIY candle project she was promoting was unsafe. I can still see her posts in my News Feed, and recently she was promoting an unsafe canning technique called "Oven Canning" where you can your dry foods, like rice, cereal, baking mixes, etc. But if you Google "Oven Canning" it's not safe. I don't see why she calls her page "Homestead Survival" when she rarely ever posts anything that would help a homesteader survive, it's mostly all crafts and recipes. I'm on another FB page which really is about survival for homesteaders, and their info is always very interesting and good.

Edited by HorsescentS

After reading some of the posts on there.. I am truly horrified for these people ... and they call themselves survivalists?

If they think this is safe, and they are survivalists............. I just don't have a lot of faith in them lasting that long if something were to go down.

Exactly! lol The other survival page I'm on has good articles, like how to build a wood-burning stove out of an oil drum, and whether or not it's safe for humans to use animal meds from the farm supply -- serious stuff. Here's the link to "Self Reliance Network" FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Self-Reliance-Network/209877245713757 You can see they've posted two new articles about how to cook without power and how to disinfect water for drinking, so it's real survival/homestead info.

Edited by HorsescentS

I saw that on facebook and had to make a comment on how unsafe they could be. Of corse no one would listen. :cry2:

I bet they deleted your comments. I have no respect for people who delete comments that respectfully disagree.

Edited by HorsescentS