Does anyone else do this?

samandkennasmom

I just can't seem to get over doing this! When I order samples to try, if it don't smell good to me, I have the hardest time pouring it! The sad part is I know that oils can "come alive" once in wax. I have so many 1oz bottles it's just wrong. Does anyone else do this?
\

'

YES! I am terrible about this. I have many oils I just have not gotten around to and others that I put on the back burner because they did not motivate me OOB. I was just thinking about this. I think what I am going to start doing is when I get testers in, I am going to try to pour all of them right away. It is too much work to quickly to do this with candles, but I will definitely do this for melts from now on. This way I will not be wasting them and have them sit there and get old and also so I do not get overwhelmed with so many unpoured.

Edited by Holly

That's a really good idea Holly! And I'm so glad to know at I'm not all alone! Another thing I do that drives me crazy is if my oil gets like 10-12 months old I don't wanna use it. Think I need to get new oil, like really Michele?

Do you mean that if you have an oil that you have been using for 10 to 12 months you no longer want to carry it because you are sick of it or pour it because it may be old?

Lol! It is so funny that you posted this, because I was just thinking about this very thing about an hour ago! I just received a massive sample order from AHRE (I ordered their B&B fall/holiday sampler along with 9 other oils and the two free oils - 40 oils in total I think) and...sadly...was less than impressed with most of them OOB. The one that comes to mind that most exemplifies your thoughts is their Bonfire Bliss. It receives so much love here, and because of that I was so excited to get it in my hot little hands, but cringed when I sniffed it OOB. To me, it smells like stinky feet...yuck! I know I need to get it in some wax to get a true sense of what it it, but I have such a hard time wanting to do that now. *sigh* Another one that comes to mind is their Pumpkin Pie (KY). I read on here that it is a super close dupe to Yankee's Spiced Pumpkin, but OOB it smells nothing like the Yankee classic I have come to know and love. I do plan to push through my hesitance with this one though. I need to learn to not judge UNTIL it is in wax.

On the flip side...a few weeks ago I made a huge batch of wax melts with a sample order I placed from Just Scent (2 wax melts per FO). Most of them I was not too excited about, but pushed though anyway. I have not had time to melt them all yet, but the two that I was most unsure about (Chestnuts & Brown Sugar and Caramel Apple Cheesecake) have been my most favorite so far! Even on cold sniff I was not too fond of either of them, but once I got them in the warmer...oh my they were fantastic!

I have at least 125- 1 ounce samples sitting here because I can't bring myself to take the time to do anything with them!! I sniff it and if I am not in love right away it goes in a bin labeled with the supplier to hopefully go back to one day- and then every time I order from somewhere I get MORE samples and they just pile up! LOL

Thing is I keep ordering them thinking they sound great but in reality I can't carry that many scents anyway! I can hardly keep track of what I do carry yet alone add more..... I need to post them on the classifieds / even if I do make melts out of them that would be hundreds of melts to go thru! I get about 12 melts out of 1 ounce bottle of FO- I do use the ones that are body safe and add some water to spritz around the house and garage - I should give my mom my wax I don't use anymore and the sample bottles for her to sprinkle some wax and FO in her Warmers/ she is constantly taking melts I make- this way she can make her own without actually "making" them!

Your not alone... It's a HUGE problem for me to!

I decided to trust myself.

I have tossed or given away more wax because OOB I did not like it and once in wax I was even more certain.

I have not yet (granted, I have just used perhaps a few less than 100 scents, not thousands) been pleasantly surprised by one that I did not like OOB once it was in wax. I either disliked it the same or liked it even less so.

I have a few now that I'd be happy enough to give away. Will list some soon, hoping to find a newbie who would like a small assortment of vendors FO's for testing and would be willing to pay the shipping.

Yep, I do it too. I know, I know, we are not supposed to judge OOB but I do, I will admit. I have hundreds of 1 oz samples that I just HAD to order because someone posted about it and when I received it was just ok, just not my thing, or smelled too similar to something else that was already tried & true so what was the point. So now I have I think 6 of the stackable rubbermaid drawers full of 1 ouncers. Occasionally I will read about a blend that sounds good and I will go back through all my oils to try and track it down and then maybe I will give it a try in wax. But mostly they are sitting in the drawer getting old and decrepit (sp?). Such a waste of money! At one point I used to list every FO on a spreadsheet and assign it a number. The number would be written on the top of the FO bottle and then stored. It made it easier to find that oil when I wanted to, but that got old pretty quick when I started accumulating oils faster than I could update my spreadsheet.

I do this too. I'm awful. I actually took inventory of all of them and made up a spreadsheet that listed things like strength OOB and if I would re-purchase. I also put them into scent categories and had a spot where I put extra notes. I know we're not supposed to judge OOB, but it's hard.

At one point I used to list every FO on a spreadsheet and assign it a number. The number would be written on the top of the FO bottle and then stored. It made it easier to find that oil when I wanted to, but that got old pretty quick when I started accumulating oils faster than I could update my spreadsheet.

Now that would be a good idea! As soon as I get my oils in, I open up my spreadsheet and put them in. I have the ones I like enough to eventually test in closed shoeboxes with the supplier name(s) on it. Numbering the tops is a good idea! I recently had to go in those boxes and find an FO and picked up several before I found what I was looking for. I'm not die-hard enough to put them in there alphabetically yet. lol

I'm getting into this habit also. This weekend I made a bunch of melts (just for me, mainly to test out fragrances)- I really want to try to use up ones that I have, I don't like wasting any. I also test a bunch in lotions, small containers, as I find that the fragrance is very different with some when it's put in lotion rather than on q-tip or OOB. I want to try blending some together also, experimenting with mixers, otherwise I may have to sift through and sell ones that I know I don't like. I have a hard time working with fo's that I don't like- ie I'm probably one of the very few that doesn't like Chocolate Suede from CC- love all of her other fo's! I just can't do the musky scents. A spreadsheet makes so much sense- will have to try that, thanks for sharing that tip!!

I've worked mine down to a hand full but some of them will never be useable because they are old formulas and still have that phlatyl stuff in them. I'm very discouraged with fos these days. They just don't have much complexity or character like the old fragrances once did. I especially hate it when they reformulate and the new one doesn't even remotely resemble the old fragrance.

Edited by chuck_35550