Tealights & Tarts......Test or no test?

Are you flipping kidding me??? Have you not heard one word people are telling you on other threads?

YES - you HAVE to test EVERYTHING you make that you plan to SELL and YES you have to have insurance and YES you have to read-read-read and test-test-test

Tealights are one of the most dangerous of products to make IMO- there have been Many fires I have read about on here related to them!! And you would know that if you searched and read some information!

There is nothing wrong with your wanting to learn candle making but there IS something very wrong when all you keep pushing is wanting to sell ASAP when you have NO clue what this is all about! You are no where near ready to start thinking sales!!!

It's always test EVERYTHING! What if you make it and there is no scent throw? What if you use a tealight container that is poly and catches fire because you over wicked and the container itself goes ablazing? (which has happened)

May I recommend that you investigate making Melt & Pour soap. Less testing needed and a lot easier to comprehend. Or just become a direct marketing rep for a couple of companies. Amway, Avon, heck even Scentsy! That way you won't have to worry about liability or research. Just a thought ...

Edited by Judy, USMC
added info

It's like talking to a freaking brick wall with this guy!! Adam you need to find another forum where they hold your hand, tell you what you want to hear and maybe they will even buy from you..........hmmmmmm I can't think of any forums like that though.

Get off your lazy, dead ass and research and test like the rest of us have done. I've been making and selling candles for years and years and guess what, I still test every new batch of wax and new batches of FO's, cause things change!! I do very well because my customers know I sell a GOOD product that's been tested and I'm not a slap happy pour and shove a wick in it kind of chandler. I have no use for any newbie who is lazy and doesn't want or can't even find and use the search function on this board. Believe it or not Google is your friend also!!

Tealights are just like container candles, if you pour plain wax and test wicks you will have one size that works, but as soon as you add fragrance and color the wick needs change, so yes, you have to test them.

Tarts are nice because you don't have to worry about the right wick, but you need to find the right wax and some fragrances will hardly scent a small room and some will send you out of your house gagging. So you can use different amounts of fragrance per pound of wax. Also how you store your tarts can affect scent.

With a gram scale you can only mix up tiny batches of wax/color/scent for testing on small levels.

The search feature can bring up many discussions on people's ups and downs with tarts and fragrances etc.

Excuse me I am NEW at this. So I just wanted to double check. I didn't know if the size of the candle matters. Thanks for answering. AND so for the Tarts I didn't know with those since they don't get a wick and burned. So EXCUSE me for double checking!!!! I don't need 50 people telling me the same things over and over and over. 1 person with 1 reply would have been fine. and Thanks to the people who make fun of me! NO am not joking because I am new at this so sorry for asking for help.

Adam, I'm not sure why you keep asking for help. It's clear you're not REALLY listening. Good luck with your venture. I sure hope one of these days you can look back at this and have a good laugh after you've realized what it was exactly you were asking from us under the circumstances...

Excuse me I am NEW at this. So I just wanted to double check. I didn't know if the size of the candle matters. Thanks for answering. AND so for the Tarts I didn't know with those since they don't get a wick and burned. So EXCUSE me for double checking!!!! I don't need 50 people telling me the same things over and over and over. 1 person with 1 reply would have been fine. and Thanks to the people who make fun of me! NO am not joking because I am new at this so sorry for asking for help.

I don't think anyone here has any problem helping someone new out at all as long as they show they are willing to put in the time to help themselves as well. I truly think that the problem many people are having is not necessarily with your questions per se, but rather with the delivery of them. You may not mean to, but you are coming across very demanding, impulsive and not appreciative for any of the help you have been given.

Candlemaking is an expensive, time consuming craft and/or job that most of us are very passionate about but the one thing it is absolutely not, is a get rich quick scheme. I have been making candles for about 4 years now but it took me about 2 years before I finally felt confident enough to start selling them on a small scale to the general public. I am not kidding you when I say I have spent so many hours reading through the posts on this forum, at times I actually thought my eyeballs were going to start bleeding. Not to mention the thousands of dollars and seemingly unending hours spent testing and failing, testing and failing until finally testing and succeeding...and I can guarentee you I am not alone. Now, put yourself in the shoes of those who have done all of this work and re-read through your posts and questions and I think you will understand where the frustration is coming from.

I feel for you, losing your job really stinks, but if you are looking to pay your bills in the short-term....I honestly don't think you are on the right path. I can still remember the day I was looking over my candle bills along with my sales and was so excited to realize I had finally started breaking even...and that wasn't that long ago :). I really think if you want to go ahead with this you should take the advice of some of the more experienced chandlers and start with melts and maybe some melt and pour soap...stay away from anything with a flame for awhile. You still will need to test everything you plan on selling but it is much less extensive for the most part.

Good luck with all of this, and keep in mind a few pointers. There are a lot of very smart, helpful people on this forum and it's best not to insult them if you want them to help you...don't swear at anyone and never, ever ask again whether or not you need to test something before you sell it...I am afraid for your safety if you do:)

......... If your question is "Do I need to test" (in any form or fashion, or any language, or any concept of the idea in the first place)

THE ANSWER IS FRIGGING YES!

Further, if you think that the size means you don't have to test, you're in the WRONG business. A candle the size of an ant would need to be tested. Why, class?

BECAUSE IT'S A CANDLE!

As for the rest of it? Glowworm pretty well covered my opinions on it. You'd do well to pay attention to what is being said and apply it accordingly. If you don't, well, don't expect to be answered.

I don't need 50 people telling me the same things over and over and over. 1 person with 1 reply would have been fine. and Thanks to the people who make fun of me! NO am not joking because I am new at this so sorry for asking for help.

This is a reality check for me. He has no concept of a forum where memberS (plural) help another member. If he only wants 1 answer from 1 person so I think he is better served with a mentor (tutor.) In another thread HorsescentS even provided links to 3 separate reputable suppliers that should/would have the inside information and could offer instructions. But that advice has been ignored.

If he's looking for 1 person rather than a variety of opinions from experienced chandlers he can scratch me off the list. I'm done.

I asked a question. I only needed 1 person to answer and say yes. I didn't need 50 people telling me yes.

Now if I asked an opinion about something, then yes, 50 people replying would be great because they each have there own experiences. BUT I didn't ask for an opinion, I asked a question so I only needed 1 answer, NOT 50!!

I asked a question. I only needed 1 person to answer and say yes. I didn't need 50 people telling me yes.

Now if I asked an opinion about something, then yes, 50 people replying would be great because they each have there own experiences. BUT I didn't ask for an opinion, I asked a question so I only needed 1 answer, NOT 50!!

Really? Cause you've been given that answer "50" times and you're still asking the same questions. Chill the hell out, stop jumping all over people who are trying to HELP YOU so that you don't kill someone. You don't make the rules here. If you ask a question, everyone has the oportunity to answer. Whether or not you like their answers, man-up and take it, or GTFO.

I am going to venture a guess that you are not a part of many online communities. I have never participated in a single one where one person answered and everyone else read that, saw it answered and moved on. Think of your question more as a poll. You asked, you got a variety of answers and the majority (which, by the way happens to be a trove of highly experienced people who are heavily engaged in an activity in which you wish to make a hobby) answered consistently. That means you got a clear answer.

I am also new here. Before I ever made a single post, I searched and read, reread, studied, took notes and learned a bit more about what I was asking. My questions still are pretty remedial but I did not expect to just pop in here and have others educate me without my doing the work myself. I spent time learning acronyms and abbreviations (or dashed quickly to stickied posts to find it so that I could respond not so remedially!). This thing has a language all it's own!

I can tell you, even as a hobbyist, this is like science. There are so many variables. I will be trying my 5th wax this weekend, keep spreadsheets of what worked well and not so much and that makes my "hey! why does this work for you but not for me?" questions here not seem like I want others to solve my problems but rather offer their experiences and what they tried when they encountered similar. Sometimes their suggestions produced the results I hoped, sometimes not at all. Again, because this is SO variable. But. I am prepared to share detail, what I tried, what I experienced, what waxes I tried, what FO's I used, what % to what pound/ounce of wax, temps and more. It would not occur to me to post "How do I do this?" and sit back and wait for my education to stream in.

I make only melts. Wicking, melt pools, liability of selling things that are on to be set on fire, jar size and type, wax types, nature of FO's to each of those variables is not my thing. That and my husband and one dog cannot manage burning candles. Melts are simpler but are more involved than just melting wax, tossing in oils and pouring.

I would be more than happy to help you (as would others here who have been more than patient with you) if you choose to learn about wax, FO's pouring temps and the like by making tarts first. I'd be zero help with candles. That said, I have also taken a lot of time to read about candle making here. Why? It helps me even with my melts and frankly, at some point, will make me more valuable a contributor here. I guess I just like knowing what people are talking about, too!

I'd suggest that you do as much research as you are asking others to serve up to you. You will need to check your humility (Hey, we are both new. We do not know WAY more than we do know) and recognize that no one here is obligated to help you. I am SUPER grateful for the help I have received here. I promise I would not have gotten any help if I had stepped in here in a defensive, entitled or expectant manner.

Either listen to the advice that these people are giving you or hang it up sir. You will not get far in this group if you don't. And by god.. PLEASE do not get into soap making because you will FLUNK before you even buy a single thing to start. You not having insurance ,and selling to friends is very scary. You need to slow down and redo some things and read read read!

Either listen to the advice that these people are giving you or hang it up sir. You will not get far in this group if you don't. And by god.. PLEASE do not get into soap making because you will FLUNK before you even buy a single thing to start. You not having insurance ,and selling to friends is very scary. You need to slow down and redo some things and read read read!

Nowhere did i ever say I did or did not have Insurance. and yes I have slowed down. I have started testing. I do not have any Tealights or Tarts, or anything else made except containers and the containers I do I have I'm redoing them. My website is down. nobody can order. so Everybody please Stop jumping the gun.