Ready 2 Give Up GB464

Hello all:)

Recently I've decided to try GB 464; got the sample size.

I've had a hard time wicking this wax and so far have not hit on any scents that have a good ht or ct in it. I am trying to test using htp wicks,( also tested cotton and paper core, cd's with no success) a 2-3 in. round container, no dyes, no other additives; only time i smell the scent is when i add it to the wax at the time of processing. or when i remelt it. Pouring @ 165, tops come out fine. I try to test with no more than 1oz of fo at the time, but I guess more would be in order depending on the scent?

Can't remember what all the issues were but when I started and for about 2 years I tested many waxes. I didn't have luck with any of the GB waxes, mostly the throw, but many people do have luck so maybe

someone else will chime in here. I ended up with C3 as it produced the best ht for me and I just stuck with it pretty much...did test a few others over next few years but always back to C3.

Finally realized that you just need to stick with what works best for you and try to get a really good product out of it and quit trying everything.

I hear ya on that. I worked with it for about a year trying to get strong HT and just couldn't get it to where I wanted it to be. I did get better HT out of 444 but it needed a week cure at minimum (for me). If you are getting good HT out of melts, it probably comes down to wick choice. Have you tried CD or Eco? CDs seem to give me the best HT on most waxes but I don't like the flame on them (in my jars). Just personal preference...nothing wrong with CD wicks. It wicked good for me with Eco but while the burn was nice, the HT wasn't as strong as I'd of liked.

There are many on the forum that use that wax, reporting very good results. Maybe they will chime in on what percentage of FO they use and wicks.

GL

I used 464 for a long time- throw was never an issue for me and I used CD wicks and sometimes HTP- I really liked the wax and was content with it until out of curiosity I started testing others - 415 I read so much about having awesome throw and such and my first candle i made with it I was blown away- much stronger throw IMO but it doesn't come without its issues- appearance was a bitch for me

No matter what you choose you are going to have things to work out with it- 464 was super easy for me compared to 415 but I made the switch because for me HT is number one and now that I know this wax and learned how to work with it I absolutely love it

I tried C3 and that did not work for me - 135 was good but finicky with FO

It varies so much person to person and methods used on what works for people

What FO's are you using and temps? The wicks you have tried should of given you some throw- something else must be going on in your process

I've used 464, 444, and 415. Not FOs gave me good HT but many did. While I could get smooth tops after pouring what I didn't like was frosting and post-burn visuals. Tops that look crumbly and generally ugly turned me off. Adding more ingredients to solve issues just raises the price of the product but I guess people just charge more or take less profit. In any case, 464 is not a bad as your experiences and to make it work you'll have make some changes to your process. I pour at 165 but as you can see, others don't. Two FOs that work well for me in 464 are Peaks Orange Blossom and Bird of Paradise. Try samples of those. Add at 185 and stir down to your pour temp. Frosting, I can't help you with other than to say don't add color.

The oils I work with seem to do great in paraffin, but the GW 464, its non existant. Even at an ounce per pound. I wasn't sure if 1 1/2 per lb would be a little much for the soy, but I may try that as well.

I've used Peaks---love most all of their oils, CS, BCN and others. I wonder if my pour temp has anything to do with it also.

Edited by 7 Pawz

Can't remember what all the issues were but when I started and for about 2 years I tested many waxes. I didn't have luck with any of the GB waxes, mostly the throw, but many people do have luck so maybe

someone else will chime in here. I ended up with C3 as it produced the best ht for me and I just stuck with it pretty much...did test a few others over next few years but always back to C3.

Finally realized that you just need to stick with what works best for you and try to get a really good product out of it and quit trying everything.

You're right about trying everything---gets expensive to. I wanted to make a change and try soy, since I 'd read many good things about it, but I guess like anything else, it has its issues to. What works for one always work for another, but I thougt I'd try the soy since some of my family members seem to like it.

I forgot to add also that I always had to use 9% FO with 464- there are many who use 1 ounce per pound but it never worked for me in any wax- maybe try 1.5 ounces which is like 8.57% and see if that makes a difference

Thank you, I'll see if it works :),,Peak's Pink Sugar is fantastic in paraffin blends at 1 oz per lb, but a little light in the 464, so maybe if I increase that it may just be what I'm looking for with that scent.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions :)

I'm going to make a few changes and see what happens. I'm appreciative to any more ideas if anyone thinks of anything. I make the candles and soap for family and myself, but I still want them to be made correctly and safely.:)

I gave up 464 too, I'm trying some 415, blending with a little KY 133 to up the scent throw, so far so good!

I'll give it a while longer with 464, want to try a few things yet; it seems to be so easy to pour other than my scent issue. glad its working out for you with the 415.

I have also experimented with 464 but decided on a combination of 415 and C3. The scent throw is better for me and I get smooth tops after burning every time.

Now that is something I never considered. I have plenty of 415 around but no C3 so I might just have to order some and try this. Is 415 the dominant wax with some C3 added to it or is it the other way around?

I prefer paraffin, but for a while I messed with soy. I started with 135 which was a dog. So I did an experiment with 135, 444, 415 and 464. Same FO and load, same wick (eco) and same container. I think the C3 was the winner but not by much. The 444 and 464 were close. If you try a different wax, give the C3 a shot. Also, try the ECO wicks.

EDIT: and remember to let it cure for a few days, maybe a week if you can. The curing makes a big difference on HT.

Edited by EricofAZ

I've tried them all. One crazy week I decided I needed 464 and ordered. I never could find any relationship with this wax. The residue on the side of the glass bugged me, the cauliflower tops after burning bugged me. Couldn't really find my pour temp. The throw never was anywhere near my 415. I stuck with 415.

For me the C3 is the dominant wax because of the tops after burning. I know some people don't mind it but me as a customer...I think it would bother me to look in the glass after a candle has burned and see craters! I would cringe! So I switched it. The scent throw is still great and the candle looks good! Now with soy you don't have a perfect candle, but it's a bit more appealing to me without sacrificing the throw. Good luck and let us know what you find!

Regarding curing of the GB 400 soy wax series: I have never noticed a difference in HT in these waxes even after 6 months of curing. I would wait a week and then burn, if there was no HT then I never got one. Only thing I did get was more frosting.

I used 464 for a long time- throw was never an issue for me and I used CD wicks and sometimes HTP- I really liked the wax and was content with it until out of curiosity I started testing others - 415 I read so much about having awesome throw and such and my first candle i made with it I was blown away- much stronger throw IMO but it doesn't come without its issues- appearance was a bitch for me

No matter what you choose you are going to have things to work out with it- 464 was super easy for me compared to 415 but I made the switch because for me HT is number one and now that I know this wax and learned how to work with it I absolutely love it

I tried C3 and that did not work for me - 135 was good but finicky with FO

It varies so much person to person and methods used on what works for people

What FO's are you using and temps? The wicks you have tried should of given you some throw- something else must be going on in your process

Moonshine, if you don't mind me asking what temp did you pour at? I am sooo frustrated! I have tested and tested this wax. I have a 3" to 3.5" 16 oz mason and using CD 12,14 and about to try 16's I can't get a single HT even with soy test FO. I melt at 185 add FO at 165 and pour at 135 for the most part? Can you help with any suggestions? FO load anywhere between 6% to 7.5%

Edited by kcdelong