Trader Joe's Olive Oil

Beezy

I was looking around today, to see what oils I'd be able to buy locally (so I can save a bit of money on shipping), and I noticed that Trader Joe's had a 33.8oz bottle of EVOO for $4.99.

I haven't stopped in Costco yet, but that seems pretty cheap. (4 bottles = $19.96 and you would get 135.20oz of EVOO).. The back said PURE Virgin Olive oil, blah blah blah.. Didn't see anything about it being a mixture of soy or anything.

Does anyone use the Trader Joe's EVOO?

Edited by Beezy

Sounds too good to be true.

A quick way to test is to make a small batch of 100% OO soap. I make a 1 lb batch using 40-50% lye solution and warm OO. If that soap isn't hard as a brick and white within 24 hours then chances are it's not pure. If it even hints at staying smooshy or turning rusty in color, then you know for sure it's not pure OO.

Sounds too good to be true.

A quick way to test is to make a small batch of 100% OO soap. I make a 1 lb batch using 40-50% lye solution and warm OO. If that soap isn't hard as a brick and white within 24 hours then chances are it's not pure. If it even hints at staying smooshy or turning rusty in color, then you know for sure it's not pure OO.

I read an interesting article the other day that said pretty much all olive oil sold in the US is cut with other, cheaper oils (usually corn) by a minimum of about 15% and up to 80%. This happens by the manufacturers and is sold as pure to retail businesses, so trader joe's will have no real idea if theirs is actually pure. The DoJ has actually been investigating food fraud and olive oil is one of the worst offenders. According to some sources they have said it is reasonable to assume that none of us has ever actually had real, 100% olive oil. The article went on to say that most american consumers will reject real olive oil now because "it tastes fake" compared to what they are used to. Thanks to new techniques in production such as "deodorization" it is also common for pomace to be packaged and sold as EVO.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/04/olive-oil-real-thing

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jan/13/extra-virginity-tom-mueller-review

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/02/the-exchange-tom-mueller.html

Honey is another offender. Apparently all of the honey coming out of china was discovered to be cut with corn syrup, even though it was sold as pure. Of course with honey you can avoid this by going direct to producers in a lot of places in the US since we make a lot here (and hey, it's always great to throw the little guy some business, especially local producers).

http://www.takepart.com/article/2011/12/14/honey-fraud-do-you-know-where-your-honey-is-coming-from

Edited by GrinningGoblin

@GrinningGoblin - it's not limited to OO or just honey. Any product with a financial incentive is vulnerable.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120405144244.htm

the top seven adulterated ingredients in the database are olive oil, milk, honey, saffron, orange juice, coffee, and apple juice.

Here's the database itself: http://www.foodfraud.org/

Take a gander at some common items we pay dearly for in that database. Coffee... Saffron... Heck, Even beeswax is in there.

There was a show on our local TV sometime last year saying that 60% of ALL olive oils imported are adulterated with other oils. I did find local olive oil, but the place told me they only make "gourmet" olive oil and wanted outrageous prices even for wholesale. How sad. I would have been happy to support the local economy.

This is quite interesting:

IMPORTED OLIVE OILS:

Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Two out of three samples failed.

Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Three of three samples failed.

Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Three of three samples failed.

Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Two of three samples failed.

Star Extra Virgin Olive Oil: One of three samples failed.

Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Three of three samples failed.

Newman's Own Organics Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Two of three samples failed.

Mezzetta Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Three of three samples failed.

Mazola Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Three of three samples failed.

Rachael Ray Extra Tasty Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Two of three samples failed.

Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil: All samples passed.

Great Value 100 percent Extra Virgin Olive Oil: One of three samples failed.

Safeway Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Two of three samples failed.

365 Everyday Value 100 percent Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Two of three samples failed.

DOMESTIC OLIVE OILS:

Corto Olive Extra Virgin Olive Oil: All samples passed.

California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil: All samples passed.

McEvoy Ranch Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil: All samples passed.

Bariani Olive Oil Extra Virgin Olive Oil: One of two samples failed.

Lucero (Ascolano) Extra Virgin Olive Oil: All samples passed.

Reading an article about the issues with imported olive oils they pointed at the honest-to-god Italian mafia as a source for a lot of the corruption. Supposedly the mob is so intertwined with olive oil production that the industry is thoroughly corrupt overseas.

What it boils down to is olive oil is in a lot of demand, and can't be mass produced like corn or soy beans. Some producers call it liquid gold and there is a lot of incentive to cut it to increase costs and meet demand. Ultimately if you find a "bargain" source you can be pretty much guaranteed that it is cut in some percentage. The cost of that locally produced gourmet oil is probably closer to what we should be paying for it. Currently we're too used to the price and taste of the fake stuff for the industry to change any time soon, and the drawback is except for niche producers who really hype the quality of their boutique brands, there is a lot of pressure to do what the big boys do and cut or doctor it.

Sent Trader Joe's Corporate a message, and haven't heard back from them as of today.

I did just get off the phone with the Store Manager at my Local Trader Joe's. I asked if the EVOO they sell is indeed 100% Olive oil not cut with ANYTHING, and she said it was 100% EVOO.

I'm going to pick up a bottle next time i'm in the area and make a small 1 pound test batch. I don't know for sure when i'll be able to stop by, but if and when I do make a test batch, i'll make sure to post my results.

Just heard back from Trader Joe's!

John,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Trader Joe's works very closing with our suppliers to assure that we are receiving quality products and that our labels are meeting the 100 percent of their claims.

Every bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil at Trader Joe's is form the first crush first press of the current crop. Our Olive Oil Buyer personally selects every olive oil blend on our shelves. She travels to Italy, Spain, Greece and Australia's olive groves during the harvest season, meeting suppliers and taking part in the process of putting together each of our high quality olive oils. This is an integral part of how we buy our olive oil. By being involved at this level we can ensure the quality of our Olive Oils.

In addition, we subject our olive oils to testing by an independent lab to ensure that their level of acidity equals that of Extra Virgin Olive Oil as Determined by the International Olive Oil Council Standards. Plus, We also do our own testing on a quarterly basis.

At Trader Joe's we require FDA regulated GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) and HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) program of our vendors. HACCP is a systematic approach to identifying, evaluating and controlling food safety hazards. In addition, our Quality Assurance Team audits our vendors on random and scheduled visits to monitor their facilities and practices on an ongoing basis.

We believe that quality along with price is essential to the value of our products and we got to extreme measures to make sure we are bringing you the best of both.

Sincerely,

Amy

Trader Joe's

Customer Relations

• Like 1

At that price I doubt its not adulterated. I'm sure the Olive Oil they use is 100% first pressing or whatever but that does not mean that all the oil in the bottle is 100%. Every bottle of olive oil I have used claims to be 100% virgin or extra virgin olive oil but that simply means the olive oil thats in the bottle is, it does not mean that all the oil in the bottle is 100%.

Think of how McDonald's states their burgers are made with 100% all beef patties. The beef is real but thats not all thats in those patties. Same thing with the olive oils and the industry. Most of the bottled olive oil we buy at our American markets is adulterated. Very rarely will you find unadulterated.

As far as soaping goes, I am not finding any problems with using it.

At that price I doubt its not adulterated. I'm sure the Olive Oil they use is 100% first pressing or whatever but that does not mean that all the oil in the bottle is 100%. Every bottle of olive oil I have used claims to be 100% virgin or extra virgin olive oil but that simply means the olive oil thats in the bottle is, it does not mean that all the oil in the bottle is 100%.

Think of how McDonald's states their burgers are made with 100% all beef patties. The beef is real but thats not all thats in those patties. Same thing with the olive oils and the industry. Most of the bottled olive oil we buy at our American markets is adulterated. Very rarely will you find unadulterated.

As far as soaping goes, I am not finding any problems with using it.

I agree. Nowhere does it say that it was tested for purity. Acid content can be adjusted.

The letter is spin because they have no way of knowing what is actually in the bottle.

Exactly. As far as they know its probably 100%-- especially if the manufacturer strongly implies that.

I hope that some day soon we can get some legislation that requires manufacturers to list all the ingredients in the olive oil. It would be nice to know exactly what you are buying.

Exactly. As far as they know its probably 100%-- especially if the manufacturer strongly implies that.

I hope that some day soon we can get some legislation that requires manufacturers to list all the ingredients in the olive oil. It would be nice to know exactly what you are buying.

They do have to list all ingredients, however terms like "extra virgin" and "first pressing" aren't regulated in the US so they can sell deodorized pomace as EVO and it is totally legal. In addition, you have to factor in the cost to enforce versus the producer's incentive to commit fraud. With a few cheap additives they can mix in cheap oil with the real stuff and have it pass the most common purity tests. Until fake olive oils kills someone there isn't going to be enough of an outcry to do anything about it. Until then, every so often they will have a government run fraud survey (like they recently did that sparked these articles) some folks will get a slap on the wrist, they will blame their suppliers. The suppliers will blame the producers. The producers will fold their company and reincorporate under a different name, and everyone will go back to buying fake olive oil.

Bottom line is most people wan't cheap olive oil more than they want real olive oil, so they'll keep getting cheap (fake) olive oil.

Edited by GrinningGoblin

Ok, maybe I'm an a$$hole for asking, but since few believe we can get a true olive oil, are any of our recipes accurate? I only do m&p, but from what I've read, it makes a difference? I've personally purchased several brands for home use in cooking, and have applied the same rule of thumb we do with wine...if you wouldn't eat it, would you soap with it?

Ok, maybe I'm an a$$hole for asking, but since few believe we can get a true olive oil, are any of our recipes accurate? I only do m&p, but from what I've read, it makes a difference? I've personally purchased several brands for home use in cooking, and have applied the same rule of thumb we do with wine...if you wouldn't eat it, would you soap with it?

Since we superfat, it should be ok. What worries me if there is another oil in there that someone might be allergic to.

• Like 1

Since we superfat, it should be ok. What worries me if there is another oil in there that someone might be allergic to.

That falls back to things not changing until fake olive oil kills someone. On the practical side of things if someone is allergic to something they are adulterating olive oil with they'll likely experience a reaction from eating it, assume they are allergic to olive oil, and steer clear of it in soap. It's not a perfect solution, but you can't control it and really can't be held liable for it. Personally I have been using pomace. I have read that it is far more likely to be pure olive since it is the cheap "garbage" pressing of the olive there is not a lot of incentive to adulterate it. Since it's cheaper and soaps better it's win / win.

I'm not sure its other oils they are using. It seems to me that the adulterated oils are a mix of lower grade olive oil (pomace?)blended with the premium or virgin oil. Because it contains virgin oil this is what its being marketed as. Its very misleading to consumers. Fortunately the oil works great in soaping whether its pure virgin grade or pomace.