To Flea Market or not.

I have been approached by someone who wants to sell my candles at the Flea market here in town. Do many of you do this? I have no interest myself setting up a booth there but really wanted input from others in making this decision. I know a lot of places in the country flea markets are a big deal. TBH I haven't been to one in 20 or more years. All I hear about them is that where you can buy movies on dvd while there are still in the theater and knock off brands of purses.

While I agree with Kitn, let me add this :

I think it often depends on the flea market itself. Some are true flea markets from the past where all you find is junk, etc, and some today ( many that I know of ) have very nice items, both old and new. A lot are inside, air conditioned, very well ran, have food courts, clean bathrooms, security, etc.

In the past, I'd have NEVER put my things in the flea markets where I am originally from, but where I am now, we have two rather large "markets" that offer both what you mentioned ( the junkier type of things ) and the better quality from antiques all the way up to rather nice looking new clothes . ( the junkier type things are outside only ).

It truly depends on how it is ran, presented, and the clientele that attends. Do some recon missions first, early in the mornings ( unless they are super huge like one of ours is, most people are through them by lunch ), talk to the other vendors, see how they like it there and what their opinions are.

Another idea you might consider is, if you find that you might want to try it, do a small run of products with a different name on them than your original business name. I have seen a lot of candles and such, that are private label.

If you find more positives than negatives in your recon, give it a try. You wont know til you do. Flea Markets have a reputation, some of that is deserved, and some of it is not. Things are changing very much so in a lot of them.

If it's part of your business plan to present your wares in that type of venue, then sure. While I agree with BTA about doing recon work first to shake out the more profitable venues, I have only the experience with flea markets in my area. THose in my area are bargain hunter magnets.

My business philosophy has always been to put my products in front of my target audience. Flea markets are not where my ideal customer shops. That said, it may be a good venue for scratch & dent or a pseudo brand to help support your main line if it fits your business plan.

I gave our local flea market a try one day. Will never do that again. My handmade products just didn't match the enormous amount of junk and used items others were selling.

On the other hand, I do the annual yard sale here in town and make a bundle. The difference is I take all my out of season unsold stock and sell it at half off. People go nuts buying a handmade quality candle at half price. I was smiling ear to ear that weekend with all the sales I made! Its feasible you could do the same at the flea market.