so sell soap, what kind of claim can you make regarding your soap?

Loolee

and is there a document i can read regarding the FDA regulations?

I don't know, but I bought some soap at an Amish shop because of what it said on the label, and it's the very best and most amazing soap I've ever used. I will buy it again for sure! The other handmade goats milk soaps I've bought were dry and did nothing for my skin, but this stuff is awesome. But here's what the label said on the soap that caught my eye and is amazing:

"Amish Country Soap/Made in Oklahoma----100% Natural/(Made with all food grade ingredients: Soaponified Oils, 25% Goat Milk)/Preservative, Dye, and Scent FREE/What our customers say: "leaves my skin soft, no need for moisturizer" "35 year rash gone in just 3 days of use" "Just like grandma's soap, no chiggerbites"/ "There's more to tell but too little space. Our Soap is hand made, the goats are home grown and milked on our farm. We produce a quality product that we are proud of. Try it and you will be convinced. Call with comments (xxx) xxx-xxxx."

After I read all that, I had to buy it, and it's so good I will gladly drive to that city to buy it again. But what really caught my eye the most was this: 25% Goats Milk.

Edited by HorsescentS

They must mean 25% of the liquid is gm. whoopdee doo..

That's exactly what I was thinking.......100% of my liquid is fresh goat's milk! What oils are they using, that should be listed and why the need for a preservative.......what kind of soap is this?? *shudder*

That's exactly what I was thinking.......100% of my liquid is fresh goat's milk! What oils are they using, that should be listed and why the need for a preservative.......what kind of soap is this?? *shudder*

I don't know what else is in it, because I posted everything that was printed on the label. All I can say is it's really amazing and so much better than other GM soaps I've tried. I guess I could call their phone number and ask them, though.

I took the 25% as the percentage of gm to all the soap ingredients. If you take the liquid as percent of oil weight; my gm soaps are almost 27% liquid to oil wt and thats with a discount. So a full gm soap of 25% or more is pretty normal. Or am I looking at this the wrong way?!!

I took the 25% as the percentage of gm to all the soap ingredients. If you take the liquid as percent of oil weight; my gm soaps are almost 27% liquid to oil wt and thats with a discount. So a full gm soap of 25% or more is pretty normal. Or am I looking at this the wrong way?!!

That's what I thought too.

I have basic information in the back of my copy of "The Soapmaker's Companion" that states for a soap to NOT fall under the laws of cosmetics from the FDA you may not claim anything other that what you are selling is soap. Nothing else.

If you say it clears eczema, then it's a cosmetic if you say it moisturizes, then it's a cosmetic and you then have to follow very strict rules and regulations.

You can state the obvious that it contains 10% shea butter, and allow the customer to figure out on their own the properties of shea butter, but you can not state that shea butter does ANYTHING other than being shea butter. If you state healing properties, then you will need your own studies and proof of what you say.

The FDA does have regulations on labeling, so if you are selling soap you should look up label info etc. This is also why you need to use only FDA approved cosmetic colors in your soap. I used to use my candle colors and they worked fine, but I can't sell those soaps so I switched to no color until I purchase the soap colors. Personally I like my natural soaps, so I may not go with colors.