Best source for lye

Check around at your local old-style hardware stores (if you have any within driving distance that lowe's/home depot hasn't swallowed up). I bought some from the lye guy myself, and his prices were pretty good with the buy 5 get 6 deal he has, but there is a hardware store I found after the fact that sells it in 50 pound pails for about a quarter of the cost.

Edited by GrinningGoblin

I bought my first small container of lye from a supplier. Then bought the next one from Ace Hardware. Rooto or something like that. The stuff from Ace works much better than the stuff from the supplier. It blends faster, heats up more and no particles left in the sieve, so far. The stuff from the supplier had little black particles in it most every batch and my temps only got to 155.

Just dawned on me. My first couple batches have a strange texture to the outside and are dry. They are fine on the inside. Wonder if the lye had something to do with it.

Isn't food grade sodium hydroxide supposed to be bettter for soapmaking than technical? Just asking.

Steve

I think most prefer to use the food grade..I use both, whichever is the best price and cannot tell any difference in the quality of the soap. Both work equally great for me.

I'm glad the sale is still on and you're getting some.

Thanks for posting the sale Irena or I wouldn't have known! I love a good sale, and that's like getting 12 lbs of lye free:) I just paid about the same price for 20 lbs. with shipping/handling charges as I paid at AAA yesterday for 32 lbs. so you can't beat that!

Essential Depot.com is a great source. I once bought a 50 pound sack of lye and lost about half of it to moisture; so the two pound bottles with the seal lids are best for my small operation. HTH

Steve

Get yourself some gamma seals to keep the extra lye nice and dry. Keeps it pretty safe from flooding too.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale at AAA, Irena. Even with shipping the cost is still about half. Should keep me for a while.

Steve, I agree, prefer the 2lb bottles myself. Easier to store and easier to work with. Maybe if I was able to soap full-time, the larger bags would be better.

Talltayl, is there a good place to get the seals? I assume you just put them on the open bottle.

Talltayl, is there a good place to get the seals? I assume you just put them on the open bottle.

Gamma seals are used for pails (like 5 gallon buckets). For those that buy lye (or anything else really) in bulk, the seals form an air tight/water tight seal to protect what's inside. Stockpilers use them to store rice, flour, beans, etc.

Home Depot and Menards carry them now.

Gamma seals are used for pails (like 5 gallon buckets). For those that buy lye (or anything else really) in bulk, the seals form an air tight/water tight seal to protect what's inside. Stockpilers use them to store rice, flour, beans, etc.

Home Depot and Menards carry them now.

Thanks for the info. That actually makes more sense.