Which show should i do

mzphee

Ok I have an option to do 2 shows on May 19 I am not sure which ]to PICK. Both are $20, one is a vendor craft show held outside and the other is a women's conference..I'm not sure which to choose.I need help please

What is the theme of the women's conference? If they're not there to talk about crafts, soap, personal care products, etc., then I'd go with the craft show. People tend to go to events because of what they are and if it's a women's conference for breast cancer then I wouldn't think that would be an environment conducive to selling crafts at, unless of course you make your products around that theme.

Just my two cents.

The womens conference is at a church,a fellowship women from all over will be there . The pastors wife is on many committees that helps women to obtain start and run their business it will be good for networking, the other is an annual craft show put on by our park district. which ever I do it will be my first show ever

Then if networking is a priority I'd go with the conference. If it's sales you're after you may do better at the craft show. I wouldn't think people will go to the conference with a buying mindset like they do when going to a craft show. That's not to say however that you won't make sales at the conference but I would think you'd make more at the craft show. Sometimes networking can be more beneficial than actual sales.

Hmmm....I would go with the Women's Conference...it's inside...lots of women (who love to shop!). It will be a good time, good fellowship, good people, lots of laughter etc.. people love to shop and buy when they feel good and are happy... and the Pastor's wife would be a very important contact person who will be sending business your way... Please keep us posted....wishing you the VERY, VERY best!!!!:cheesy2:

Then if networking is a priority I'd go with the conference. If it's sales you're after you may do better at the craft show. I wouldn't think people will go to the conference with a buying mindset like they do when going to a craft show. That's not to say however that you won't make sales at the conference but I would think you'd make more at the craft show. Sometimes networking can be more beneficial than actual sales.

My viewpoint is the opposite. Firstly, there will likely be fewer vendors at the conference, and likely no other chandlers. I'd check with the sponsors on that. Secondly, women at conferences love to spend money and outspend each other.

Edited by SliverOfWax

You don't say if you are doing wax or B&B or soap. I do wax and also avoid outdoor shows. Have no opinion on soap or B&B.

If you decide to do the conference you may want to consider labeling an item especially for the event. Maybe something fragranced with Angel dup and labeled with the title and year of the conference under the Fragrance name. If they are coming from all over the attendees can take back this "souvenier" and maybe pick up an extra to gift a friend who could not attend.

And any leftovers can always be relabeled. HTH

Personally I'd go with the craft show as the customers are going there specifically for the crafts. Not so with the conference. You might get lucky at the conference but that doesn't sound very dependable to me. If doing an outdoor show bothers you selling at craft shows may not be the business you should get into.

Having said all that, any shows for $20 usually tend to be crapshoots. By that I mean you can make 10 times your booth fee or nothing at all.

If you are just starting out doing crafts shows I'd do the one that was easiest for me to do simply because you need the experience and less hastle.

I'd do the Conference. Craft shows aren't that great for candles this time of year, and with it being outside ya never know about the weather. Sounds like you will know a lot of these women at the conference and they will buy cuz they know you. Once they buy, they will be back for more. If it was fall I'd say the craft show, but this time of year I'd do the conference.

I would say the indoor show, but then I melt in the sun about the same time my candles do even with a canopy. No one wants to buy candles from the red head who looks like she is going to faint in the heat. I know here in Iowa the weather has been going from one extreme to the other lately. With an indoor show people might be willing to hang around your table and give you some feedback if they aren't worrying about the weather. Even if you have been doing shows for awhile feedback is always nice to give you ideas on how to change things up for next time. Best of luck either way. Let everyone know how things go for you.

I just thought of another idea. Is is possible for you to do both shows? If you have a spouse or family member that could do one for you. It can be a headache to have enough product for two shows, but it would give you a good comparison.

HTH,

Kim

If doing an outdoor show bothers you selling at craft shows may not be the business you should get into.

Surely, you jest.

I did craft shows for 15 years, have never done a single outside show, before I opened a permanent store I did shows nearly every single weekend, and trust me...............................it was a good thing.

I wouldn't struggle to put up a tent just to watch it blow away for love or money. Or sit in rain and/or wind, or worse. Your little bit of advice might be the worst advice I've ever seen here.

Thank you all for all your wonderful advice, I still havent decided I will by the end of the week. A few things I will do indoor or outdoor shows it doesnt bother me any, I do have some B&B items I will offer, I dont make candles just wax melts, freshners, M&P soap lotion bath melts bath salts, and I have warmers for the melts. I see the pros and cons to both but I have a twist to throw in... I am renting a suit at a historical building and our building was choosen to participant in an Historical your because of its age and beauty....with that being said guess what? its on the 19th of May the same day as the craft shows...lol I have to be there because my shop will need to be open for the tour...lol...what ever craft or vendor show I pick my hubby will work it until the tours are over ....again thank you all for your advice I really need it

Surely, you jest.

I did craft shows for 15 years, have never done a single outside show, before I opened a permanent store I did shows nearly every single weekend, and trust me...............................it was a good thing.

I wouldn't struggle to put up a tent just to watch it blow away for love or money. Or sit in rain and/or wind, or worse. Your little bit of advice might be the worst advice I've ever seen here.

No I am not making a jest and I stand by my advice. Just because you don't like doing outdoor shows doesn't mean others don't or that they aren't productive. I do both indoor and outdoor shows because many in my area are outdoors. I don't always have the luxory of only doing indoor shows. If you don't care for my advice you can ignore. It does not mean its bad advice.

No I am not making a jest and I stand by my advice. Just because you don't like doing outdoor shows doesn't mean others don't or that they aren't productive. I do both indoor and outdoor shows because many in my area are outdoors. I don't always have the luxory of only doing indoor shows. If you don't care for my advice you can ignore. It does not mean its bad advice.

That's true, but I wouldn't dream of telling someone they shouldn't be in business because they don't want to do what I like.

If doing an outdoor show bothers you selling at craft shows may not be the business you should get into.

We have never had much luck with craft shows BUT it did help us with display ideas and different set-ups, we received feedback on our products and were able to network.

Our first couple were outside shows and it rained one of those years. Although our product was protected from the rain, the humidity did quite a number on our cardboard risers and votive display boxes. We hung in there a couple more years and then decided not to do outdoor shows. We then moved to inside shows but after a few years of hauling candles to and from these events with very little profit, we decided to only carry our products in stores and do one show a year with only our products, which has been more successful. It may be that the craft shows we attended were fairly low cost vendor spots. Maybe if we had tried some of the larger shows, we would have had better luck.

That being said, I know others have had great success with craft shows. Good Luck with whichever you choose!

Edited by Jane42

I really need to disagree Candybee. So far 9 out of 10 outdoor craft fairs here in Coastal North Carolina have either been rained out or blown away. And the summer heat drastically affects wax products. When I started the business I did do outside shows and had injet labels ruined by humidity/misty rain (before I got my laser) and uber soft clamshell tarts. But give up the business? No way. There are too many other sales venues out there; out of a shop (your own or on consignment), or from a website, or through etail sites (Etsy for example), wholesale or do indoor shows. It rained both days of the first indoor fair I participated in this year whereas the outdoor vendors didn't even bother showing up and I had decent sales. Give up my crafting business because I don't want to do outdoor shows? No way!

Mzphee - Sounds like opportunities abound for you. Peoria weather is a lot different than where I'm at in NC. I know when I'm in Chicago we can usually expect mild high temps (low 70's) with a 50% chance of rain, 50% chance of being cloudy, and average winds of 10 mph. So I guess you could consider it a coin flip as far as the weather is concerned. But whatever venue you pick I wish you success.

Edited by Judy, USMC

I do LOTS of craft shows. Some of my most successful are outdoor shows. We just finished one two weeks ago that ended up being a great show and that was with Tornado watches all around and lots of wind. (we live in Kansas lol). That said, I believe we are successful because we engage our customers and sell our products. My advise to you, for whichever show you do, is to not just sit quietly behind your tables hoping someone buys something. Actively talk to your customers, answer questions, laugh with them and make their shopping experience a fun one. They will remember you and if you have a good product, they will return to you next year. ( by the way, we do not do outdoor shows during the summer months)

thank you all for your advice I have decided to do the outdoor craft/vendor show. I choose this to get the experience of doing shows, we have alot of womens conferences here and I will have another chance at that. I really did want to do the conference for networking but I need the practice of doing craft shows in and out doors and learn how to conduct myself, Im sure there is alot I can learn from the season crafters

I know you've already decided, and I've only done two shows myself, so I don't have the experience these other ladies have, but I have already decided for myself that I won't do an outside show if I can help it. I've been tempted by a few, but I am so fearful of my candles melting and then people going to pick them up and smell them and getting wax all over everything....I'm more comfortable inside. :-)