Shrink wrap question

classiccandle

I'm starting to make M&P soap (haven't tried CP yet but would like to give it a shot in the future) and from what I understand if you don't wrap M&P over time it will sweat. I recently purchased some shrink wrap bags (the kind that shrink around the soap when heat is applied) and was wondering for those of you who wrap your soap if it makes a difference in sales? Does it matter to the customer if they can smell the soap because with these particular bags they seal the soap completely and you can't smell it through the plastic (unless I intentionally melt a hole in the plastic exposing the soap). I really, really don't want to leave any of the soap exposed where people can touch it. For me I wouldn't buy any soap that was handled by who knows how many people. I just couldn't do it....lol.

I keep thinking about all of the soap that's sold at a supermarket or warehouse store; the customers can't smell that soap either but they buy it anyway.

Any guidance you can provide would be appreciated!

I made a batch of m&p today and used SoapQueen's (I think Anne-Marie from Brambleberry)tutorial on youtube for wrapping soap in plastic wrap shrinking it with a heat gun. Turned out great, and you can smell the soap through plastic wrap. But in answer to your question, yes I would buy soap wrapped in shrink based on the scent and the soap presentation. (And I am thinking I still could smell scent through shrinkwrap...not strong, but enough to give me an idea..)

We have a wholesale customer that orders m&p soap and we use our heat shrinking system for her orders. We just slide the bars into the shrink wrap, seal & cut, and we use a hair dryer to shrink the film around the soap. We put her company label on and it looks perfect. She's been ordering these for a long time. We have a large order to do for her this week. The bars always look very professional and there have been no concerns over lack of scent. hth

Its humidity and heat that causes M&P to sweat. Glycerin is a key ingredient in M&P bases. Glycerin is a humectant that attracts and retains moisture in your skin. It can also attract moisture in the air and cause the surface of the soap to sweat. So storing your storing M&P soap in a cool, dry, place will keep it from sweating. I use wax paper to store my soap at home and when transporting to and from craft shows and markets.

If you are doing outdoor shows its best to use some form of packaging; cello bags, soap boxes, etc., to protect them.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Most of my sales are made at a micro-boutique marketplace. I'm not physically at the location at the time of sale so I can't talk to the customers about the soap and if I shrink wrap it with the bags that I have now (not the cling type plastic wrap) you can't smell the soap that's why I was wondering if you thought it would have a negative impact on sales.

I've tried to wrap them in parchment paper as shown on this website, http://jenorasoaps.blogspot.com/2011/10/pictorial-soap-story-continued.html but can't find tape strong enough to stick to the paper. That would be my preferred method of packaging so if anyone knows of any tape that will stick, and stay stuck, to parchment paper I'd be excited to know what it is and where to find it. If not I guess my only other option will be to shrink wrap the soap in the bags I have and see how it goes.

Again, thanks for the input!

I used to partially shrink wrap my wholesale soaps. I would use a wide band of shrink wrap that was open ended on both sides. It left both ends of the soap open so customers could still smell the soap but the bulk of the bar was shrink wrapped. This way the soap was kept clean and professional looking. Basically I just cut one end off soap sized shrink wrap and used that. I put my labels under the wrap before I heat shrunk it.

In all the years I have been selling soap my experience is that soap that customers can pick up and smell is soap that sells. If you don't have the kind of shrink wrap you can smell thru than consider using wrap that leaves the ends open.

Now I just use cigar labels on my soap. My customers are used to it and they buy them by the armloads. I used to use soap boxes but quit because the soaps that sold were the cigar labeled soaps they could pick up and smell.

Edited by Candybee

I have this shrink system:

http://www.nationalshrinkwrap.com/catalog/item/4626141/5119006.htm

They offer a perforated shrink film that allows you to smell the scent but keeps out the humitity. LOVE this system! It has saved me a ton of $$ on packaging int he 3 years I've had it. I have the perf'd film for candles & soap and the heavier weight wrap for gift baskets & sets. I love that I don't have to stock a bunch of sizes, just a couple of rolls then make custom sized packaging. I love that I can shrinkwrap the product and put a nice label on it and call it done. Large items I can add ribbon, etc and it looks classy but is simple to do.