1st Attempt OMH soap

chuck_35550

Quick question on adding oatmeal. I made a small 2 pound batch of OMH cp this week-end. I used 100% gm and KY OMH fo and added 1 tblsp pp of honey and ground oatmeal. Used a couple tsp of td and used toasted whole oatmeal on the top and so far it is quite nice (beige color) but it is very wet and I probably should have left it in the mold another day. Does too much ground oatmeal tend to make this soap initially wet and then does it get crumbly after it dries? I never considered how the oatmeal would absorb liquid or might turn crumbly. So far it does not appear to have gelled and there is only one tiny spot of orange honey in one bar. If all goes well this should be a nice bar of soap. TIA

Steve

I use 1 tbs ground oatmeal pp of oils. Same with the honey. For my goat milk I split my liquids half gm and half water with no discount. It does make the soap very soap and I usually don't cut for about a week. It stays sort of soft for several days but does harden up pretty good after about 2-3 weeks. By the time its cureds its pretty hard.

Mine's still curing. I've made two batches so far of gm omh. One is almost cured and the other I just made. The one I just made I added egg yolks for the first time. I want to compare soap with and without the egg. All I can say is the one with the egg yolks in it was one super creamy soap when I poured it into the mold. This morning it was already pretty firm. Can't wait to try each one out and see how they compare to each other!

I usually make GM OMH using 1 tblsp PPO each of honey and oats. I use GM as 100% of the liquid - often discounting to a 40% solution. Those I've made at full water do get awfully firm over time (depending on your formula that is). I cut often the same day and get rock hard soap within a few days with no ammonia smell.

I think once you let yours cure for a decent amount of time you'll find that the oatmeal bits get pretty firm - sometimes to the point of being downright scrubby. So just give it some time.

WRT to egg yolk - I've done 1 yolk PPO blended with the soft oils prior to adding to the batch. If you add it at trace expect it to not blend extremely well. Also expect a strange smell and some greenish discoloration at first - especially if it gels. With my flock of poultry (hens and ducks) I was hoping I liked egg yolk soap more. I just didn't. :(

Egg yolk can help slow trace with quick fragrances. The natural lecithin in the yolk takes the credit for that.

Are we talking about melt & pour or cold process soap here?

All of these abbreviations make me crazy trying to figure them out like: GM CP MP OMH TBS WRT PPO, UPS FedEx & IRS. bonk.gif.

It's my problem to learn. I'm light years behind and will have to kick it in warp gear. It's fun *drunken posting*

All of these abbreviations make me crazy trying to figure them out like: GM CP MP OMH TBS WRT PPO, UPS FedEx & IRS. bonk.gif.

It's my problem to learn. I'm light years behind and will have to kick it in warp gear. It's fun *drunken posting*

He said cp = cold process. My bars aren't wet with the additional ingredients, but it all depends on your recipe, temps and if you gel or not.

I'm a newbie too but now I even find myself using the same abbreviations that drove me crazy at first.

MP (melt and pour) is usually in the melt and pour section. GM=goats milk; OMO=oatmeal honey; PPO=per pound of oils; wrt=weight ratio; tbs=tablespoon

Awww... the WRT was a new one for me.

Steve-- I had no problems whatsoever adding my egg yolks to my batch. I added my yolks to my coconut milk and blended. Then added a bit of raw soap to the egg milk to temper them; then added a bit more raw soap to them to make sure they were well tempered before adding the whole mixture into my raw soap. It worked great. NO SMELL or GREEN stuff! Don't know where that came from! Now I wait so I can see for myself how eggs make the soap feel. I have read several posting from soapers that love egg in their soap so don't be afraid to try it next time!! Good luck!

I'm a newbie too but now I even find myself using the same abbreviations that drove me crazy at first.

MP (melt and pour) is usually in the melt and pour section. GM=goats milk; OMO=oatmeal honey; PPO=per pound of oils; wrt=weight ratio; tbs=tablespoon

Thanks, I just now looked at the top of this section and there is a sticky with abbreviations. I r dumb I guess cause I never looked. :embarasse

I just finished my pouring 3rd batch of GMOH. The first time was a disaster.(soap turned deep orange, then had some serious overheating in the mold...it wasn't pretty...) The 2nd time was better, and even tho I put it in the freezer overnight, I got a partial gel. So THIS time I used fresh, not canned GM, froze the GM in cubes, added the lye very very very slowly to the cubes, soaped way cool, chilled the mold, and have it under a fan, hoping to see if it will gel without cracking or volcanoing. With my luck I will STILL get a partial gel. :undecided

Edited by MoonShadow